Recent Topics
Planes fly over white house after speech
by 1978elcamino - 07/04/20 10:16 PM
Code reader advice
by 53' Stude - 07/04/20 10:05 PM
People driving less / motor oil prices?
by 1978elcamino - 07/04/20 10:02 PM
Fireworks and dogs
by 555 - 07/04/20 07:52 PM
Cannot unscrew oil filter housing cap - BMW E46
by 97tbird - 07/04/20 07:21 PM
Are u a big fireworks person?
by ZZman - 07/04/20 06:53 PM
Honda Accord MAP sensor question
by Kira - 07/04/20 06:28 PM
Hy-Gard Shelf Life (Opened Bottle)
by viscous - 07/04/20 06:10 PM
Want to bet on my luck? (atf to "save" transmission)
by Snoman002 - 07/04/20 06:10 PM
Too Much Zinc = Corrosion?
by viscous - 07/04/20 06:00 PM
New vehicles with a 4 speed transmission?
by MrHorspwer - 07/04/20 04:57 PM
Inability to Choose
by Gene K - 07/04/20 01:53 PM
65 200 6 mustang running kinda hot
by old1 - 07/04/20 01:30 PM
Neo-protec GT em
by dervdave - 07/04/20 01:19 PM
Mannol 9929 Ester additive
by dervdave - 07/04/20 01:14 PM
2015 Corolla with 7k miles has “soft brakes”
by NHBFAN - 07/04/20 12:30 PM
Put Bilsteins on the Silverado
by bdcardinal - 07/04/20 12:19 PM
Newest Members
SilentC, paolo9fla, SunnyB, Mullady76, Axia2
71848 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (edyvw, dishdude, Avery4, bbhero, GMguy84, Dave9, 2 invisible), 795 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,436
Posts5,311,043
Members71,848
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down #5465586 06/29/20 11:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,393
D
Dave Sherman Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,393
Hoping it's not just a fluke, but wife's troublesome 2013 Equinox that was consuming about 1quart/2000 miles seems to have gone way down. Was running Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly Synpower), but couldn't really justify the price for its appetite. On a whim I used plain old Pennzoil 5W-30 at the last change, and I'm amazed that consumption has gone way down. It's also getting quite dark. Maybe it was a sticky ring and it's cleaning things up? Thinking I'll change it again at 3000 since the OLM usually goes 6000.


2015 Honda Pilot EX AWD Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 STP filter
1977 MG Midget Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 Bosch Filter
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465589 06/29/20 11:42 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21,984
The Critic Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21,984
This is not the first time I have heard of conventional oil reducing oil consumption (compared to synthetic) but I have yet to find a technical explanation that can explain this behavior.


2020 Ram 1500 5.7L eTorque - <1K - Factory Fill
2011 Toyota Prius 1.8L - 209K - Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30
2007 Honda Accord 2.4L - 146K - Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465612 06/29/20 12:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,916
S
skyactiv Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,916
I've always felt Valvoline is a better oil in terms of wear protection but does so at the cost of not having the cleaning ability of some other oils. Pennzoil is better at keeping engine clean but doesn't have the best wear protection in my opinion. I think there a trade off and the motor oil companies choose what they think is best. Some of the Valvoline UOA's I've seen are spectacular. Some engines may favor a better cleaning motor oil and some don't.


Wife: 15' Audi A4 quattro 6 speed manual
Me: 18' Elantra Sport 6 speed manual
The rude guy that points out reality


Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465623 06/29/20 12:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,014
W
walterjay Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,014
I am not an engineer but I suspect that the smaller molecules found in syn oil get more easily past the rings and valve seals. In the past I have also noted that syn oil is consumed a bit quicker than conventional. Also, syn will leak out of small cracks and crevices more easily than conventional. At least this has been my experience.

Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: skyactiv] #5465653 06/29/20 01:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 954
B
BAJA_05 Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 954
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I've always felt Valvoline is a better oil in terms of wear protection but does so at the cost of not having the cleaning ability of some other oils. Pennzoil is better at keeping engine clean but doesn't have the best wear protection in my opinion. I think there a trade off and the motor oil companies choose what they think is best. Some of the Valvoline UOA's I've seen are spectacular. Some engines may favor a better cleaning motor oil and some don't.

Does not have the best wear protection -- yeah ok!! Settle down there King Elentra 6 speed!!! LOL


2017 VW Jetta SE TSI 1.4L Turbo (hers)
PP Euro 0W40 & FU (48K)
2008 Acura TL 3.2L PPHM 0W20 & FU (117K)
2005 Subaru Baja AWD 2.5L N/A 5spd.
T6 MV 5W30 & FU (103K)
2000 Ram 4X4 5.2L (93K) T6 MV 5W30 & FU
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465663 06/29/20 01:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,559
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,559
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Hoping it's not just a fluke, but wife's troublesome 2013 Equinox that was consuming about 1quart/2000 miles seems to have gone way down. Was running Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly Synpower), but couldn't really justify the price for its appetite. On a whim I used plain old Pennzoil 5W-30 at the last change, and I'm amazed that consumption has gone way down. It's also getting quite dark. Maybe it was a sticky ring and it's cleaning things up? Thinking I'll change it again at 3000 since the OLM usually goes 6000.

The newer Valvoline Advanced is a better product than Synpower. I run Valvoline, Pennzoil or Mobil-1 EP.
That engine brings plenty of consumption complaints here. The idea to shorten the OCIs is a good one.


Stay Safe - Stay Healthy
Happy July 4th
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum // Mobil-1 EP // Valvoline Synthetics



Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: The Critic] #5465755 06/29/20 03:43 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,980
C
CR94 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,980
Originally Posted by The Critic
This is not the first time I have heard of conventional oil reducing oil consumption (compared to synthetic) but I have yet to find a technical explanation that can explain this behavior.
SonofJoe wrote about conventionals, especially Group I, having greater solvency, as I recall.


2011 Toyota Prius now at 111K
1981 Mazda GLC (323) retired at 606K
1972 Subaru DL retired at 190K
1954 Chevrolet retired at 121K
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465846 06/29/20 05:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,526
O
OilUzer Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,526
I've noticed my old cars consuming MUCH less with dino but op's car is 2013.
Aren't the newer cars supposedly "designed" with syn in mind?

This is one theory :
I think syn molecules are uniform and little and more of them can escape ...
Dino molecules are not uniform and bigger ones stick around while the little ones may escape ... So you will have less escaping and more staying. You see what I mean?

since we are taking about molecules, maybe MolaKule can elaborate grin2

Originally Posted by walterjay
I am not an engineer but I suspect that the smaller molecules found in syn oil get more easily past the rings and valve seals. In the past I have also noted that syn oil is consumed a bit quicker than conventional. Also, syn will leak out of small cracks and crevices more easily than conventional. At least this has been my experience.


Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465875 06/29/20 06:59 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 77
M
Matt1980 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Hoping it's not just a fluke, but wife's troublesome 2013 Equinox that was consuming about 1quart/2000 miles seems to have gone way down. Was running Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly Synpower), but couldn't really justify the price for its appetite. On a whim I used plain old Pennzoil 5W-30 at the last change, and I'm amazed that consumption has gone way down. It's also getting quite dark. Maybe it was a sticky ring and it's cleaning things up? Thinking I'll change it again at 3000 since the OLM usually goes 6000.


This is a known issue with the 2010-2013 Terrains/Equinox. The 2010-2012 Terrains were covered under a special warranty for this exact problem, I believe that after the class action lawsuit the 2013 is now covered for 7 years or 120,000 miles. I had my 2011 Terrain fixed under this special coverage and it no longer burns oil and runs great. You should look into getting this done to your Terrain, it will fix this problem.

Last edited by Matt1980; 06/29/20 07:06 PM.
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Matt1980] #5465944 06/29/20 09:13 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,393
D
Dave Sherman Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,393
Originally Posted by Matt1980

This is a known issue with the 2010-2013 Terrains/Equinox. The 2010-2012 Terrains were covered under a special warranty for this exact problem, I believe that after the class action lawsuit the 2013 is now covered for 7 years or 120,000 miles. I had my 2011 Terrain fixed under this special coverage and it no longer burns oil and runs great. You should look into getting this done to your Terrain, it will fix this problem.


We did look into it, even received the letter with our VIN saying we were eligible if we were consuming oil. Dealer begs to differ and says we’re not covered. One problem; I gave the oil change receipts to my wife to keep with the paperwork for her car, but she didn’t keep them, so I might have a hard time proving I changed the oil except for the dates and mileage I wrote down. Also bought it secondhand, and the only documentation we had for previous oil changes was the Carfax report.


2015 Honda Pilot EX AWD Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 STP filter
1977 MG Midget Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 Bosch Filter
Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465952 06/29/20 09:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,559
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,559
Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Originally Posted by Matt1980

This is a known issue with the 2010-2013 Terrains/Equinox. The 2010-2012 Terrains were covered under a special warranty for this exact problem, I believe that after the class action lawsuit the 2013 is now covered for 7 years or 120,000 miles. I had my 2011 Terrain fixed under this special coverage and it no longer burns oil and runs great. You should look into getting this done to your Terrain, it will fix this problem.


We did look into it, even received the letter with our VIN saying we were eligible if we were consuming oil. Dealer begs to differ and says we’re not covered. One problem; I gave the oil change receipts to my wife to keep with the paperwork for her car, but she didn’t keep them, so I might have a hard time proving I changed the oil except for the dates and mileage I wrote down. Also bought it secondhand, and the only documentation we had for previous oil changes was the Carfax report.

This is why I purchase my oils and various filters online (Walmart and rockauto) and keep the proof of purchases in an Gmail specially-named email folder.
No physical paperwork to hang-on to. The OC mileage and installation date are in the back of the owners manual. Every manual I owned has a few blank pages for Notes.


Stay Safe - Stay Healthy
Happy July 4th
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum // Mobil-1 EP // Valvoline Synthetics



Re: Ecotec 2.4 consumption went down [Re: Dave Sherman] #5465959 06/29/20 09:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 77
M
Matt1980 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 77
I assume you brought that letter from the GM to the dealer, past oil changes are irrelevant. you should go to the fourms over at https://www.terrainforum.net/. They helped me a lot when I had this problem. I took the letter GM sent me, I also made an account https://my.gmc.com/home/?sso=false confirming my car was eligible for the fix. I brought both those things to the dealer and they knew immediately what my problem was and only required that I do a oil consumption test before they start the work. I had to pay the dealership to change my oil, then they required that I bring it back every 500-1000 miles so they can check the oil level. If the vehicle burns 1.25 qts in 2000 miles then you quality and the dealer will fix your equinox. This is exactly how the vast majority of people over at the terrain forums had to proceed to get this done, A few people like you had dealerships that gave them the run around. If at all possible find another GMC dealership in your area and try again. Like I said I got lucky in that my dealership had already done dozens of these jobs and knew of the issue so my process was a piece of cake.

Last edited by Matt1980; 06/29/20 09:55 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™