9000k service intervals. Should I change filter have way thru?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yes, you cannot skip oil interval, but you do not have to conduct that OCI at dealership. You can do it yourself in your garage, keeping receipt. I thought that would be understandable.
No, you do not have to go buy oil in VW dealership to conduct oil change. You can get it in Wal Mart, as long as oil is approved for use, let's say VW 502.00 in that engine.

Are you dense?

What part of the Magnuson-Moss Act did you disagree with? Magnuson-Moss Act allows the use of aftermarket parts in place of manufacturer stamped parts for warranty purposes, so that "no" is technically a yes.

A wal-mart reciept for oil doesn't equate to mileage in the documentation, just a date. Do you expect the warranty administrator to math and do a linear interpolation of known service in mileage and the unknown mileage?

What happens if you done all the service on your own, do you demand the warranty administrator to take your word that despite receipts from Wal-mart, that you done all the services at the specified mileage intervals?

Last edited:
Wow long thread that got off topic . I simply wanted to know what will help remove any carbon build up the oil or the filter.

Yes i ll get a oil analysis since I'm in canada is oil depot.ca ok?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Yes, you cannot skip oil interval, but you do not have to conduct that OCI at dealership. You can do it yourself in your garage, keeping receipt. I thought that would be understandable.
No, you do not have to go buy oil in VW dealership to conduct oil change. You can get it in Wal Mart, as long as oil is approved for use, let's say VW 502.00 in that engine.

Are you dense?

What part of the Magnuson-Moss Act did you disagree with? Magnuson-Moss Act allows the use of aftermarket parts in place of manufacturer stamped parts for warranty purposes, so that "no" is technically a yes.

A wal-mart reciept for oil doesn't equate to mileage in the documentation, just a date. Do you expect the warranty administrator to math and do a linear interpolation of known service in mileage and the unknown mileage?

What happens if you done all the service on your own, do you demand the warranty administrator to take your word that despite receipts from Wal-mart, that you done all the services at the specified mileage intervals?

No I do not expect, but yes, they did this precisely what you said, at BMW dealership while I had X5.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Like?

Like when I see 3rd party filter cut opens I don't see failed Honda branded OEM filters often.

Hondas AO 1-3 series is a pretty marginally built compared to what manufacturers proffer as a 20K filter and sold by the millions, and I rarely see or hear failures and because Honda uses an A/B filter change scheduler's they stay on the car a long time. The AO-1 (If i recall) is oem'd by Fram and is between an xtra guard and a tough guard and not identical to either.

UD

So, tell me other OE filters that fail? I am not sure what Honda does that others don't do?

Originally Posted by wantboost
Wow long thread that got off topic . I simply wanted to know what will help remove any carbon build up the oil or the filter.

Yes i ll get a oil analysis since I'm in canada is oil depot.ca ok?

That's BITOG for you.

Oil. But change both anyway. Takes 5 minutes to change the oil filter. Only way to properly clean carbon build up, is cleaning the valves. That requires some elbow work if you're not familiar with it for our engines. It's about a $400-$600 job if you do it at a shop. How many miles are on the car? People recommend to do it at 75K to restore power.

I'd skip the oil analysis. Just change your oil and filter regularly.

Last edited:
Any filter should be able to go the standard interval which is pretty much 10,000 mi now on new cars in the USA. I really wish the filter would get out the soot from GDI but in fact it catches very little. Unless it makes large clumps it's much to small for a full flow filter to remove. About the only thing I know is effective at removing soot is a centrifugal bypass filter.

Yes you can absolutely leave the filter in if you are changing the oil twice as often as recommended. What the rest of us do in this situation doesnt really matter. It's up to you.

Back