GF-6A Motor Oil

Here is a screen shot from api.org. It describes the benefits of the new API GF-6A motor oils and declares API GF 5 as obsolete.
crazy2.gif

Edit: The fine print says Obsolete as of May 1, 2021.

610A727C-7FDF-4CDA-A3DC-2EE0C6D936D2.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Obsolete meaning it can no longer be licensed.

Then I and maybe some others here have misinterpreted the terminology. They are referring to the standard, not the oil.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Actually, I just read the fine print. Obsolete as of May 1, 2021.
smile.gif

It's a typical, cloudy-eyed Monday morning and this news was delivered on a Monday morning.

Typical Monday mis-wording, as I'll guess the word obsolete will eventually get changed to superceded.

Either that, or the rules have changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's a typical, cloudy-eyed Monday morning and this news was delivered on a Monday morning.

Typical Monday mis-wording, as I'll guess the word obsolete will eventually get changed to superceded.

Either that, or the rules have changed.

What are you talking about?

Again posting without either thinking first or knowing anything about what you're saying. ISLAC standards are not "superseded" they are always rendered obsolete.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Obviously the people here with a huge stash of GF5 now have to pour it down the storm drain

Not yet, not until May 1, 2021.

Originally Posted by painfx
So when are the API SP oil will be on the shelves?

They are now around here. Picked this up at a local WM and dumped it in my Jeep yesterday.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Obviously the people here with a huge stash of GF5 now have to pour it down the storm drain

Not yet, not until May 1, 2021.

Ugh. Always check the fine print

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Is there any auto manufacturer with a hard requirement or even a recommendation for a GF6 or API SP oil yet?

FORD WSS-M2C961-A1 is what Ford put in my 3.5 Ecoboost at the Quick Lane June 03 when I got my free oil change (or at least so I was told). That spec requires GF6A.

Last edited:
Back