ACDelco CVT fluid substitute

Hello, I am wondering what fluids can be used as a substitute for ACDelco CVT fluid. Valvoline's CVT fluid claims to be a replacement for ACDelco's DEX-CVT, but that seems to be a different fluid than their regular CVT fluid? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Valvoline and Castrol can be used on it with no problem
smile.gif

Some people don't like the Castrol because it's red, and most OEM CVT fluids aren't red. Valvoline is amber. There are a few that are green since a good amount of factory CVT fluid is green or blue. You can get green CVT on Amazon for $6/qt, which is a few pennies more than Castrol by the case.

What kind of car do you have?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Valvoline and Castrol can be used on it with no problem
smile.gif

Some people don't like the Castrol because it's red, and most OEM CVT fluids aren't red. Valvoline is amber. There are a few that are green since a good amount of factory CVT fluid is green or blue. You can get green CVT on Amazon for $6/qt, which is a few pennies more than Castrol by the case.

What kind of car do you have?

Awesome, thank you! I'll go with the Valvoline fluid then, I have always had good luck with their ATF and I don't like BP/Castrol as a company. I don't personally care what color the fluid is if it works well, but since I am putting it in my friend's car I don't want anyone to get confused in the future if anyone else works on it for whatever reason. It's a 2015 Chevy Spark by the way.

Didn't the 2015 use the Jatco transmission? Seems like you could use anything labeled as fit for a Nissan if that's the case.

Just a WAG on my part though.

The Valvoline will work fine.

Castrol will also work fine but its red tinted. So that may be an issue if under warranty.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Didn't the 2015 use the Jatco transmission? Seems like you could use anything labeled as fit for a Nissan if that's the case.

Just a WAG on my part though.

I don't know who made the transmission, but if it's the same company that makes Nissan's CVTs that's probably why it is screwed up!

Originally Posted by Avery4
...Valvoline's CVT fluid claims to be a replacement for ACDelco's DEX-CVT, but that seems to be a different fluid than their regular CVT fluid? Thanks in advance!

I am unclear as to what you mean by this.

All CVT fluids have a different formulation than Step-Shift ATFs which means they are non-interchangeable.

So if you mean their CVT fluid is different than their MaxLife ATF you would be correct.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
...Valvoline's CVT fluid claims to be a replacement for ACDelco's DEX-CVT, but that seems to be a different fluid than their regular CVT fluid? Thanks in advance!

I am unclear as to what you mean by this.

All CVT fluids have a different formulation than Step-Shift ATFs which means they are non-interchangeable.

So if you mean their CVT fluid is different than their MaxLife ATF you would be correct.

That's not what I meant, I know CVT fluid is different. What I meant is the owners manual calls for "ACDelco CVT fluid" but the Valvoline fluid claims to be a replacement for "Dex CVT Fluid", those seem to be 2 different fluids made by ACDelco.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I now see crux of your question.
smile.gif

Your vehicle's CVT specifies ACDelco/GM part number 19260800/10-4092.

This fluid is now used as a replacement for the DEX-CVT fluid 15250985/10-4036.

A bit of history. The prior DEX-CVT fluid 15234609/10-4035 required an additive number 15231847 to be added at time of replacement for GM/Saturns, etc.

The DEX-CVT fluid 15250985/10-4036 Fluid replaced the prior DEX-CVT fluid 15234609/10-4035.

The current formulation CVT fluid ACDelco/GM part number 19260800/10-4092 is now the general replacement fluid for GM's line of CVT's.

Replacement CVT fluids could be:

Amsoil: https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3273.pdf

or,

Valvoline CVT Fluid: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/89a30b24-93bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

or,

Redline CVT Fluid:

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/NON-SLIP_CVT_PROD_INFO.pdf

or, LubeGard CVT fluid

https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LG_Complete-CVT-Fluid_sell-sheet_fnl7.pdf

Last edited:
Eneos CVT fluid is also another good possibility..

Idemitsu CVT fluid iis another good one has well.

and Eneos actually mkes OEM initial fill CVT fluid for Japanese vehicles unlike Valvoline etc etc...

Last edited:
I now see crux of your question.
smile.gif

Your vehicle's CVT specifies ACDelco/GM part number 19260800/10-4092.

This fluid is now used as a replacement for the DEX-CVT fluid 15250985/10-4036.

A bit of history. The prior DEX-CVT fluid 15234609/10-4035 required an additive number 15231847 to be added at time of replacement for GM/Saturns, etc.

The DEX-CVT fluid 15250985/10-4036 Fluid replaced the prior DEX-CVT fluid 15234609/10-4035.

The current formulation CVT fluid ACDelco/GM part number 19260800/10-4092 is now the general replacement fluid for GM's line of CVT's.

Replacement CVT fluids could be:

Amsoil: https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3273.pdf

or,

Valvoline CVT Fluid: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/89a30b24-93bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

or,

Redline CVT Fluid:

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/NON-SLIP_CVT_PROD_INFO.pdf

or, LubeGard CVT fluid

https://www.lubegard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LG_Complete-CVT-Fluid_sell-sheet_fnl7.pdf

I did not know that, thank you for explaining! We ended up going with the Valvoline CVT fluid. I dropped the pan, cleaned it out, removed and washed the filter screen in acetone, and refilled with 4 quarts of that Valvoline fluid out of 6 total, so I was able to change about 2/3 of the fluid. I would say that the fluid replacement was 90% successful. It is still a little jerky at times like when getting on and off the gas, but at least now it actually moves when stepping on the gas instead of revving freely and lurching forwards in spurts like it is going to fail any second. It has 90K miles and was screwed up so who knows how much life that transmission has left in it, but if changing the fluid buys my friend a bit more time it's worth it, it was obvious that it wasn't going to last much longer the way it was slipping and lurching.

Sometimes a new fluid change helps shifting since it starts cleaning the internals.

I would do another D&F and add LubeGard RED as some varnishing and glazing may have occurred. Follow bottle directions and don't overtreat.

Last edited:
Sometimes a new fluid change helps shifting since it starts cleaning the internals.

I would do another D&F and add LubeGard RED as some varnishing and glazing may have occurred. Follow bottle directions and don't overtreat.

Another drain and fill would probably help if I can talk my friend into it lol. Lubegard's website says that their Red fluid supplement isn't for use in CVTs, but they have a Yellow supplement for CVTs.

Another drain and fill would probably help if I can talk my friend into it lol. Lubegard's website says that their Red fluid supplement isn't for use in CVTs, but they have a Yellow supplement for CVTs.

I put in 5 Oz's of the Lubegard CVT recharge fluid in my car...

Amazingly it smelled just like Eneos CVT fluid and I mean exactly like it. I opened it in my car with the doors closed... And it smelled like used cat litter filled with cat urine that had sat in a hot car for like 7 days
lol.gif

Must be the additives that smell like that... Crazy.

That is correct, I meant the CVT supplement in the Yellow bottle, not the Red bottle. Lubegard's CVT additive would be the appropriate cleaner, but owing to the amount of phosphorus it contains, I would use 1/2 of the recommended dosage AND make sure you don't overfill. CVT's can be finnicky when overfilled.

Great, great point Dr. Molakule....

Do not overfill a CVT... Definitely finicky about overfill.
CVTs get overheated when over filled.

I used half the amount 5 ozs because my car was just a tad short on the drain and refill I did a month and a half ago. That 5 ozs actually was perfect to bring it to perfect level.

Last edited:
The dealer answered my enquiring into by stating ac delco 10-4118 should be used in vehicles with the vt40 cvt trans.

please comment

Back