Accidentally bent my straight shaft trimmer

It depends. Homeowner grade or commercial? Spring shaft or solid shaft? Slight bend or tied up like a pretzel?

aggressive whacking to get the string out can cause the shaft to bend. I've done it when I had cheaper models (Boulins). Since them I bought a echo 225 from HD and never had a shaft bending issue.

When I had teh Boulins I would bend it back after it go too far. As long as it doesn't kink you are ok.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
It still works okay? Should I fix or leave it? How would I straighten it back?

I've used my hydraulic press and V blocks to straighten tubing. It's a bit tedious, but generally comes out great. The hurricane bent my flagpole and it's near perfect now. I also straightened the heavy barrel of a target 22 Mossburg 144LSB. It purchased it used for $50 at the local store, not noticing the bend. The results have been spectacular! Very accurate!

The internals of a trimmer won't much care if there is a slight imperfection in the tubing.

Last edited:
Here is a pic

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Got to watch that "aggressive whacking".

Like said above, if the shaft that runs from the engine to the string head is flexible, almost like a section of cable, this should be fine. If it's a solid rod, things are going to go south.

Trying to straighten it is certainly worth trying. New main pipe costs less than $40 which could be well worth it if the trimmer still runs good.

All smaller Echos I have ever seen are flex-shaft - so just bend it back and go on about it.....solid shaft trimmers are very rare these days....even in small brushcutters

Originally Posted by GearJammer
Trying to straighten it is certainly worth trying. New main pipe costs less than $40 which could be well worth it if the trimmer still runs good.

It's only a year old.

I had it on the front of my zero turn while I was driving it hooked on one of my chainlink fence posts and bent. Runs fine right now.

Back