Oil stain on glove compartment

Hello all,

Made a dumb mistake yesterday. Did an oil change and tire rotation on my car. I went to grab the wheel lock key out of the glove compartment and put a light finger print of oil/dirt on the glove compartment open button. What's the best way to get it off? I'm thinking a little dawn and water on a toothbrush and brushing it off. Think that would work?

You didn't say what type of material it was on. Glossy plastic? Matte plastic? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? On most materials Dawn will work, as well as any interior all purpose cleaner/degreaser or even an interior cleaner like Meguiar's Quik Interior which contains some diluted isopropyl alcohol. Depending on the material you could move up with a stronger 70% isopropyl alcohol if it doesn't come off.

Assuming this is plastic the Dawn and toothbrush idea is good. Baking soda might help too. Work the immediate stain only.

If it's hard plastic try just a damp cloth and work up from there to an interior cleaning wipe like the cheap ones from Dollar General. They work pretty well on hard plastic.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
You didn't say what type of material it was on. Glossy plastic? Matte plastic? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? On most materials Dawn will work, as well as any interior all purpose cleaner/degreaser or even an interior cleaner like Meguiar's Quik Interior which contains some diluted isopropyl alcohol. Depending on the material you could move up with a stronger 70% isopropyl alcohol if it doesn't come off.

It seems to be plastic covered by a thin layer of what seems to be vinyl.

If the oil hasn't soaked in and is just on the surface, just wipe the excess off, then use a little bit of diluted dawn or an interior cleaner to remove the residue.

Originally Posted by CT8
It doesn't matter move on a vehicle is a depreciating liability.

So one can not have pride of ownership, or be a good steward of their property?

OP: if it is in fact vinyl or plastic, I would use a soft bristle brush and a mixture of Dawn (or comparable) and warm water. Work up the suds and gently scrub in a circular motion. Remove solution with a microfiber towel.

Lick it.

https://youtu.be/ayBmsWKqdnc

I had too
lol.gif

Just feeling slap happy silly right now

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by CT8

So one can not have pride of ownership, or be a good steward of their property?

Not that much pride, it is a greasy fingerprint in the glove box.

Originally Posted by dan765
Originally Posted by CT8

Im sorry, what do you mean by this?

Wipe it off and not worry about the finger print,

Back