What's your favorite wheel cleaner?

I haven't used a wheel cleaning solution for years. I have just been cleaning my wheels with a wash mitt and car wash solution. The wheels I have on a vehicle now would be easier to clean using a good spray-on solution and my pressure washer. Years ago when I was still using a wheel cleaner, I think the stuff I was using was made by Eagle 1. I do remember it was all wheel finish safe, and it did an awesome job. I would spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes. You could actually see it dissolving the road grime and brake dust as it soaked. It worked so well I didn't even have to touch the wheels...just spray and they came out very clean. Does any one know if this product is still made, and if so, what it's called, or is there a new/other product that works just as well, or better?

Originally Posted by grampi
I haven't used a wheel cleaning solution for years. I have just been cleaning my wheels with a wash mitt and car wash solution. The wheels I have on a vehicle now would be easier to clean using a good spray-on solution and my pressure washer. Years ago when I was still using a wheel cleaner, I think the stuff I was using was made by Eagle 1. I do remember it was all wheel finish safe, and it did an awesome job. I would spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes. You could actually see it dissolving the road grime and brake dust as it soaked. It worked so well I didn't even have to touch the wheels...just spray and they came out very clean. Does any one know if this product is still made, and if so, what it's called, or is there a new/other product that works just as well, or better?

I use the wheel cleaner made by Michelin. Haven't ordered product in awhile so not certain if it is still available on-line.Very good at cleaning wheels and tires. Regards

Eagle 1 A to Z wheel cleaner was the last good one I used. Eagle 1 Black and Plasticoat is prob they're best one and is still cheap but super hard to find. And some are raising the price on it. It reacts with metal bonded particles like rail dust turns purple and then rinsed off. Can be used on painted surfaces so kind of a cheap Iron X.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Eagle 1 A to Z wheel cleaner was the last good one I used. Eagle 1 Black and Plasticoat is prob they're best one and is still cheap but super hard to find. And some are raising the price on it. It reacts with metal bonded particles like rail dust turns purple and then rinsed off. Can be used on painted surfaces so kind of a cheap Iron X.

Does it remove the coating on the wheels ?

I've used Eagle 1 and Adams car care wheel cleaner work well. However Simple Green is NOT recommended to use as wheel cleaner.

I've been using Chemical Guys Diablo wheel and rim cleaner. It works very well. No damage to my wheels at all. When I first starting using it, my drums were pretty nasty. But it cleaned it all up real nice. And it has a pleasant smell, which is a little bonus when you have to work with harsh chemicals.

I bought mine in a car cleaning kit, which was on closeout last fall at Walmart. But I've seen Diablo wheel cleaner by itself on the shelf at both my local Walmart and Autozone. I'm kind of sold on the stuff right now, and will probably stay with it until someone can show me something better.

Reactions: JC1
Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Safe on clear coated Wheels (or painted wheels)
Xtreme Cling grabs and dissolves brake dust and grime.

The above is from the side of the spray bottle. I've found it to be as close to Bleche White as is possible today. I'm talking the old Bleche White before Black Magic bought it, which is now GARBAGE.
Thank you again Kalifornia.

Anyway, this is not safe on bare aluminum, and probaly not too good for chrome plated aluminum either. It does take off the black stuff easily from the rims, and a stiff brush takes all the oxidized rubber off the tires like the old Bleche White did. A quick spray with Meguiar's "Insane Shine" and you're looking good!!

Plenty of warm, soapy water with a soft brush.
After two years there's still no scratches/finish issues (still look new).

I use the one that turtle wax makes in the green bottle.

Be careful in that some cleaners are for aluminum, magnesium or steel. Know what your wheels are made of and read the bottle before purchasing. Make sure cleaner is safe on clear coated wheels if that's what you have.

Currently using meguiars hot rims and happy with the results. Very effective and only requires a little bit if brushing to get them clean. The most effective I have used is meguiars ultimate, but it is never on sale around here.

Eagle 1 A to Z I think is the stuff I used to use. The Chemical Guys Diablo sounds interesting too. Maybe I'll pick up both and compare them...

I bought Chemical Guys Diablo, Eagle 1 All Wheel Cleaner, and one I haven't heard of before, Castrol Super Clean. I've used the Super Clean engine cleaner under the hood before and it did an amazing job, so I thought I would give their wheel cleaner a try. I will let you know which one worked the best.

Depends on the type of wheel.

My go to is Mother's Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Works very well especially for maintenance washes, non-acid based, good foaming action, and is safe for all wheels. It also cleans tire browning. The downside is that the bottle doesn't go very far.

For OEM wheels that have been neglected or have tons of brake dust, and wheel barrels, I use SuperClean Wheel Cleaner. It is acid based and is pretty strong.

To decontaminate, I use Adams Wheel Cleaner. It goes on green and turns purple when it dissolves iron deposits. I use that maybe once a year or so.

I use Speed Master wheel barrel brush for the wheel barrels, the Mother's Fender Well Brush for the wheel face and tire, and a small detail brush for the nooks and crannies.

Back