A Review of Engine Oil Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks mola! whenever you post i check it out + usually read it all, even though some stuff is over my head i reread + research to learn as much as i can.

thumbsup2.gif

Naw, forget the STP. All you need is a 5 gallon pail of ISO 46 AW hydraulic fluid, a tube of 5% moly grease and a few bottles of GM EOS. Anything more is a conspiracy to separate you from your hard earned money.

For those interested here is a summary list of the actual chemistry used in these additives:

Chemistry of Oil Additives

Here is a comprehensive list (best you'll find outside of the lab) of multifunctional additives and their functions. Notice the same chemicals and compounds perform more than one function.

Multifunctional Additives (in Alphabetical Order) listed as to Functional Agent, additive category, general or specific chemical compound, and how it works, respectively.

Antifoamants or foam inhibitors (Protective Additive): polymers such as silicone polymers and organic copolymers of the silaxane's; creates a lens that reduces the bubble's surface tension.

Antioxidants or oxidation inhibitors (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, aromatic amines such as organic tolutriazoles, thiadiazoles, diphenylamines, olefin sulfides, carboxylic acids; decomposes peroxides and terminates free radical reactions. Increases temperature of base oil at which base oil may tend to oxidize. Oxidation of oil promotes polymerization of sludge particles and increases viscosity.

Anti-Wear and Extreme Pressure Additives (Surface Protective Additive):
ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, Organic Sulfur-Phosphorus-Nitrogen compounds, Borates and Borate Esters, Tricresyl Phosphates, amine phostphates, and other phosphate esters, Chlorine compounds, and lead diamylcarbamates, lead and barium naphthenates, sulfurized olefins; protective film interacts at various temperatures and pressures to provide either a plastic interface or to provide a compound which shears at the surface.

Demulsifier (Performance Additive): hydroxyalkyl carboxylic esters, alkenlycarboxylic esters; keeps water separated from lubricant.

Detergents (Surface Protective Additive): metallo-organic compounds of sodium, calcium, magnesium, boron phenolates, phosphates and sulfonates such as alkylbenzene sulfonic acids, alkylphenol sulfides, alkylsalacyclic acids; Lift deposits from surfaces to keep them suspended.

Dispersants (Surface Protective Additive): Alkylsuccinimides, alkylsuccinic esters (alkenyl succinimides); chemical reaction with sludge and varnish precursors to keep them acid neutralized and to keep them soluble. Detergent-dispersants often are the same chemical or come in compounds to accomplish the combined function(s).

Emulsifiers (Protective Additive): Polyisobutylenesuccinimides, alkenylsuccinate ester/salts. polyester amides, alkyl aminoesters; promotes a stable emulsion or mixture of oil and water.

Friction Modifiers or Friction Reducers (Performance Additive): Organic fatty acids and amides, lard oil, high molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters such as Tricresyl Phosphates, ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides. Reduces coefficient of friction formulated lubricant in the boundary lubrication regime. Some VII's also provide friction reduction.

Metal Inhibitor/Deactivator (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides, heterocyclic sulfur-nitrogen compounds; inhibits corrosive effects of oxygen with metals and decreases metal interaction with oxygen compounds to reduce oxidation of oil.

Oxidation Inhibitors (See Antioxidants).

Rust Inhibitor (Surface Protective Additive): Barium sulfonates, amine phosphates, phosphordithioates, sodium thizoles (for coolants),

Pour Point Depressant (Performance Additive): polymethacrylates (PMA's); reducing wax crystal formation and increases solvency of oil at low temperatures. May be part of VII package.

Seal Swell (Performance Additive): nitriles, specific esters, organic phosphates and aromatic hydrocarbons. Increases volume of elastomeric seals.

Surfactants or Surface Active Agents (Protective Additive): family of diphenylamines and amides; usually part of the antioxidant package. Also provides enhanced friction reduction and allows oils to "climb" or spread on and over surfaces. Decreases but does not destroy surface tension

Soot Control or Soot Inhibitor (Protective Additive for diesels): Organic Barium compounds; keeps soot in suspension. Usually part of the dispersant package in diesel formulations.

Tackifiers (Performance Enhancement): copolymers of ethylene and propylene; helps oil cling to surfaces. Very useful in geared machines such as transmissions, differentials, and chains.

Viscosity Index Improver or Viscosity Modifier (Performance Additive): Olefin copolymers (OCP's), hydrogentated styrene-diene copolymers, styrene esters, polymetharylates (PMA's), mixed alkyl methacrylate-vinyl-pyrrolidines, aminated ethylene propylene, mixed alkylmethacrylate ethylene/propylenes; reduces viscosity change with temperature. Increases viscosity of base oil as temperature rises when base oil tends to thin. Some VII's may also act as dispersants by incorporating dispersant compounds.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/530321/Additives_XII-Multifunctional_

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by Malo83
All you need.
lol.gif

Loved it when someone did a VOA on this glop.
!

I looked, but could not find the VOA. Can you link to it?

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by Malo83
All you need.
lol.gif

Loved it when someone did a VOA on this glop.
!

I looked, but could not find the VOA. Can you link to it?

Sorry, I cannot provide a link, my friend.
It was years ago.
I do remember Dr. MolaKule saying it was nothing special.

My first post here. Why is there so much negativity here on oil additives which contain Chlorinated Olefin?

My first post here. Why is there so much negativity here on oil additives which contain Chlorinated Olefin?
The chlorine molecule is very reactive and when the chlorine atom disassociates from any buffer chemistry it can become very reactive toward all metals causing corrosion.

Just a reminder here folks. The original link was to commercial additive components that are typically found in engine oils.

STP and other similar junk are classified as Off-The-Shelf or Third Party additives that are mainly market driven and have no real efficacy when added to a formulated engine oil.

Last edited:
The chlorine molecule is very reactive and when the chlorine atom disassociates from any buffer chemistry it can become very reactive toward all metals causing corrosion.
Okay. I guess it depends on the quality of the additive. Been using an additive for almost 20 years in an old V8 engine with no signs of corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back