Recent Topics
Opinions On This Laptop
by BlueOvalFitter - 07/05/20 08:02 PM
Anyone else see Hamlin hood flap fly out?
by 555 - 07/05/20 07:54 PM
Husqvarna AWD with a Honda engine
by yeehaw1960 - 07/05/20 07:02 PM
Recommended car shipper?
by HawkeyeScott - 07/05/20 06:10 PM
My 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T
by strongt - 07/05/20 05:39 PM
Throwing in the towel on local clothing retailers
by Reddy45 - 07/05/20 05:09 PM
Castrol Edge vs Edge EP
by Gene K - 07/05/20 05:03 PM
Car related YouTube channels
by dishdude - 07/05/20 04:59 PM
Suspension Bushings Oil Resistant?
by TacoFergie - 07/05/20 03:43 PM
Building a solar generator
by BeerCan - 07/05/20 03:22 PM
Used CVT fluid in a power steering application
by mahanddeem - 07/05/20 02:06 PM
New Mobil1 EP HM, API SP label design.
by wemay - 07/05/20 02:00 PM
Generator oil
by Eddie - 07/05/20 01:51 PM
This never ceases to amazing me
by SLO_Town - 07/05/20 01:46 PM
Empty shelves and lack of variety.
by sloinker - 07/05/20 01:17 PM
Mann HU816 (28 month service)
by Barwich - 07/05/20 12:23 PM
Napa Gold 1348 and Mahle OC148 C&P
by BeerCan - 07/05/20 10:38 AM
Newest Members
Turboman92, TrustyAutos, TacoFergie, electro, SilentC
71852 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Bazza32, bbhero, 4WD, Arob, 72te27, 55hambone, 7 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,463
Posts5,311,651
Members71,852
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions #5465067 06/28/20 05:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,174
9
92saturnsl2 Offline OP
OP Offline
9
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,174
Just acquired a 2015 Sedona with the GDI 3.3L V6. Was surprised to see in the owners manual that it recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the viscosity chart. I thought all vehicles had transitioned to 5w-20 or thinner a long time ago. It bums me out because I have been picking up 5w-20 and 0w-20 synthetics on clearance (such as the Rotella Gas Truck they were giving away after rebate a few months ago) in anticipation of getting a new vehicle. Not sure I can stomach going down a grade on a newer vehicle with 28k miles.

All my xW-30 oils I have on hand are older stuff that prior to the widespread adoption of GDI, so I think they lack the additive package that prevents against LSPI. Should I be concerned with this in this engine? The owners manual simply states any oil rated ACEA A5 will do, or in the absence of that GF-3 or API SL is acceptable. I believe my older oils meet those ratings but don't have the SN+ and newer Dexos ratings that might offer better protection for DI.

Not sure what to do with my 5w-20 stash as none of my vehicles take it (the Odyssey will be sold soon.) Maybe use it in the cold weather months? I should probably just invest in newer oil for the Kia, rather than use the older stuff that I have. Is this the correct approach? What oils would you recommend for the 3.3L?


96 Grand Prix SE 150k Chevron Delo 5w-40 Synthetic
04 Odyssey EX 205k Shell Rotella T5 10w-30
96 Maxima GLE 275k Mobil Super HM 5w-30
07 Chrysler Pacifica Limited 4.0L 151k Rotella T5 10w-30
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465082 06/28/20 06:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 493
7
71Chevyguy Offline
Offline
7
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 493
I would use up what you have and just add some heavier oil to it. I just bought plenty of 5w20,0w20 and even 0w16 on clearance that I plan to mix with some of the 20w50 and 15w40 that I have on hand. Really doubt that Kia engine will care what goes in there as long as you don't go thinner than what is recommended. Those were great engines and just require oil changes often because of warranty. But you may already be out of warranty so it may not matter. I just wouldn't go thinner than 5w30 if that is what is recommended. Since you will be doing short runs on oil anyway, mixing shouldn't matter one bit. The nice thing about the Kia and Hyundai cars is that they don't really care what oil you use, doesn't even have to be synthetic. I am probably going to buy one of their vehicles next for that reason.


14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
14 Beetle TDI
98 Buick LeSabre Defy 10w30 / Fram Ultra 3387a

Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465085 06/28/20 06:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,229
Z
Zaedock Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,229
That's a good recommendation.

I would pick up some 0/5W40 and run 3 quarts each. That engine is not picky.


2019 Escape EB AWD/2016 KIA Optima SXL 2.0L Turbo/2012 F150 Ex-cab 5.0L
1992 YJ "The Heep"/2015 Chrysler 200 Limited
1975 Ford Bronco/1959 Willys CJ5/Tube Rock crawler
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465170 06/28/20 08:24 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
C
CKN Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
I run conventional 5w/30 in my wifes 2017 (3.3) Hyundai Santa Fe XL. The 3.3 is a very nice motor.

I always like the "look what I bought for my stash"-then later "I don't know what I'm going to do with "whatever weight" motor oil . It's hilarious.


Last edited by CKN; 06/28/20 08:27 PM.
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465224 06/28/20 09:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,174
9
92saturnsl2 Offline OP
OP Offline
9
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,174
Walmart carries Havoline ProDS 5w-30 in 6qt boxes for $17 at Walmart right now. Buying two would be free shipping to my door. I believe the oil change on this engine is 6qt, this might be just the ticket.

Wouldn't be opposed to mixing grades but Rotella gas truck only comes in 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, so I'd have to blend completely different oils to arrive at a true 30 weight. Not a big fan of mixing different oils, so I'll probably hold onto that and mix some 5w-20 and 5w-30 for use in the colder months.


96 Grand Prix SE 150k Chevron Delo 5w-40 Synthetic
04 Odyssey EX 205k Shell Rotella T5 10w-30
96 Maxima GLE 275k Mobil Super HM 5w-30
07 Chrysler Pacifica Limited 4.0L 151k Rotella T5 10w-30
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465232 06/28/20 09:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,569
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,569
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Just acquired a 2015 Sedona with the GDI 3.3L V6. Was surprised to see in the owners manual that it recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the viscosity chart. I thought all vehicles had transitioned to 5w-20 or thinner a long time ago. It bums me out because I have been picking up 5w-20 and 0w-20 synthetics on clearance (such as the Rotella Gas Truck they were giving away after rebate a few months ago) in anticipation of getting a new vehicle. Not sure I can stomach going down a grade on a newer vehicle with 28k miles.

All my xW-30 oils I have on hand are older stuff that prior to the widespread adoption of GDI, so I think they lack the additive package that prevents against LSPI. Should I be concerned with this in this engine? The owners manual simply states any oil rated ACEA A5 will do, or in the absence of that GF-3 or API SL is acceptable. I believe my older oils meet those ratings but don't have the SN+ and newer Dexos ratings that might offer better protection for DI.

Not sure what to do with my 5w-20 stash as none of my vehicles take it (the Odyssey will be sold soon.) Maybe use it in the cold weather months? I should probably just invest in newer oil for the Kia, rather than use the older stuff that I have. Is this the correct approach? What oils would you recommend for the 3.3L?



Does your 3.3 engine hold five quarts? There are a couple 5w40s out there that are SN Plus. I would blend 1-2 quarts of 5W40 with your 5w20s from your stash.
Keep doing it, until the stash is gone.
Congrats on the ride. That 3.3 engine is supposedly the best of the S. Korean bunch.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 06/28/20 09:44 PM.

Stay Safe - Stay Healthy
Think things out - b/4 jumping on the wrong daily path.
Keep Your TGDI / GDI engines clean....4k OCI.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum // Mobil-1 EP // Valvoline Synthetics



Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5465269 06/28/20 10:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
C
CKN Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Just acquired a 2015 Sedona with the GDI 3.3L V6. Was surprised to see in the owners manual that it recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the viscosity chart. I thought all vehicles had transitioned to 5w-20 or thinner a long time ago. It bums me out because I have been picking up 5w-20 and 0w-20 synthetics on clearance (such as the Rotella Gas Truck they were giving away after rebate a few months ago) in anticipation of getting a new vehicle. Not sure I can stomach going down a grade on a newer vehicle with 28k miles.

All my xW-30 oils I have on hand are older stuff that prior to the widespread adoption of GDI, so I think they lack the additive package that prevents against LSPI. Should I be concerned with this in this engine? The owners manual simply states any oil rated ACEA A5 will do, or in the absence of that GF-3 or API SL is acceptable. I believe my older oils meet those ratings but don't have the SN+ and newer Dexos ratings that might offer better protection for DI.

Not sure what to do with my 5w-20 stash as none of my vehicles take it (the Odyssey will be sold soon.) Maybe use it in the cold weather months? I should probably just invest in newer oil for the Kia, rather than use the older stuff that I have. Is this the correct approach? What oils would you recommend for the 3.3L?



Does your 3.3 engine hold five quarts? There are a couple 5w40s out there that are SN Plus. I would blend 1-2 quarts of 5W40 with your 5w20s from your stash.
Keep doing it, until the stash is gone.
Congrats on the ride. That 3.3 engine is supposedly the best of the S. Korean bunch.


It holds 6 quarts.....

Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465322 06/29/20 01:33 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,793
G
gfh77665 Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,793
Blend it off 50/50 with heavier oils. Blend with 5w-40 for the winter months and 10w-40 for the summer months. Don't stress too much, as even the high quality oils of today still shear, and you end up with thinner oil near the end of the interval anyway, Your the Kia will be fine, no need to waste perfectly good oil.

Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465592 06/29/20 11:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,472
K
KCJeep Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,472
I have the earlier version of that engine in ours and it is extremely tolerant of about any oil you would care to put in it. Back in 12 KIA was pushing 5w20 for the engine in the "me too" that was all the rage. But they also allowed just about any other grade except 0x anything.

They must have wised up on the thinner oils, even my manual quickly recommends jumping to a 30 grade for towing or a warm environment, that says it all right there.

I have run mostly 30 grades with great success, two runs of 20s and the engine did not grenade but I ran it over winter. Like I said it's a very tolerant engine though, I've run 0w40 and now 5w40 you can't tell one whit of difference.

Home blending turns into a crap shoot, I know I used to do it all the time and the one UOA I did was a surprise. Save the 20s for something else or run it in winter.


2018 VW Passat GT VR6 - 30k - Castrol Edge Euro Titanium 5w40 - VW filter
2012 KIA Sedona 108k - Valvoline Euro 5w40
2012 VW Tiguan 108k - Castrol 0w40
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee gone but not forgotten.
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465607 06/29/20 12:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,525
C
CT8 Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,525
Maybe you can buy a car that recommends a 20 wt oil.


2015 F150 2.7
2018 F350 6.2
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: 92saturnsl2] #5465799 06/29/20 04:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,549
blupupher Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,549
That motor is fine with API SL oil.
Being a GDI engine, I would stick with an xw-30 oil. I would not use 5w-20 in it at all, not even blending (and I am one that has been know to do a frankenbrew a time or two (or 10).)
The 3.3 is a good motor despite the GDI (from what I have seen, they have a 2 stage injector that does get fuel on the backside of the intake valve) and don't have LSPI issues.
Interesting note is that in my '18 Santa Fe with the same motor owners manual allows 5w-30 and 5w-40 for all temps, and 10w-30 for temps above 0°F. SM recommended, but even SL is allowed if SM not available.

IMO, throw that xw-20 on craigslist or facebook for a few bucks more than you paid for it and but the correct weight. I think Mobil still has some rebates going on for a decent deal, or just grab a 6 qt box of 5w-30 synthetic Havoline @ Walmart for ~$17.

Originally Posted by CKN
...

I always like the "look what I bought for my stash"-then later "I don't know what I'm going to do with "whatever weight" motor oil . It's hilarious.


If done correctly, it is not an issue.
I have quite a stash, but also have multiple vehicles that use different oil weights (with one that can run anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40).

But I agree, some get caught up in the sale and end up with something they don't need or can't use.
I admit have done that before, but not anymore, I passed on the 0w-16 deals lately, just no use for it, even if it is free.


'18 Santa Fe: PP 10W-30/OEM
'18 Soul: Synpower 5W-30/ProGuard
'12 xB: M1 EP 0W-20/CQ Blue
'10 Santa Fe: Synpower 5W-30/D+
'04 F150: Magnatec 10W-30/ST
'02 F150: PP 0W-20/M1
'94 VT1100: Peak 15W-40/Wix
Re: KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions [Re: blupupher] #5465851 06/29/20 05:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
C
CKN Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,273
Originally Posted by blupupher
That motor is fine with API SL oil.
Being a GDI engine, I would stick with an xw-30 oil. I would not use 5w-20 in it at all, not even blending (and I am one that has been know to do a frankenbrew a time or two (or 10).)
The 3.3 is a good motor despite the GDI (from what I have seen, they have a 2 stage injector that does get fuel on the backside of the intake valve) and don't have LSPI issues.
Interesting note is that in my '18 Santa Fe with the same motor owners manual allows 5w-30 and 5w-40 for all temps, and 10w-30 for temps above 0°F. SM recommended, but even SL is allowed if SM not available.

IMO, throw that xw-20 on craigslist or facebook for a few bucks more than you paid for it and but the correct weight. I think Mobil still has some rebates going on for a decent deal, or just grab a 6 qt box of 5w-30 synthetic Havoline @ Walmart for ~$17.

Originally Posted by CKN
...

I always like the "look what I bought for my stash"-then later "I don't know what I'm going to do with "whatever weight" motor oil . It's hilarious.


If done correctly, it is not an issue.
I have quite a stash, but also have multiple vehicles that use different oil weights (with one that can run anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40).

But I agree, some get caught up in the sale and end up with something they don't need or can't use.
I admit have done that before, but not anymore, I passed on the 0w-16 deals lately, just no use for it, even if it is free.



Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your honesty. I too-believe there are those on this board who (brag) buy oil "they think somewhere they might to be able to use" and post the low (or free price if a rebate) of the oil-only for it to become a problem later on. Even free oil can be a problem.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™