Mobil 1 AP and Fram Ultra in 2014 Tundra 5.8

Engine is in great shape
80-90% highway driving
very little towing
some heavy hauling maybe 2% of trips

Question: Yall think 20k+ on AP is doable OCI?

Will send off oil sample at the end

Got the AP at Wally on Clearance and could not pass it up

Doable. Yes. Probably okay, but is it worth the risk of possible varnish, possible increased wear, loss of sleep wondering if your engine is okay?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zfasts03
Doable. Yes. Probably okay, but is it worth the risk of possible varnish, possible increased wear, loss of sleep wondering if your engine is okay?

I was just going to post the same thing. With all the synthetics that go on clearance and all the rebates, there's no reason to go 20,000 miles on oil. Not to mention, oil changes are a great time to scope out the underside of your vehicles and possibly catch something before it becomes a major problem.

I change the oil on a buddies 4x4 Tundra and once cut a 15 foot piece of twine that had wrapped itself around the boot on the drivers side front axle shaft. It had already rubbed all the dirt off the boot and was beginning to chew into the boot a little. It it went another OCI it would've chewed through the boot.

Run it for 10k, take a sample and get the uoa done. That will give you the info you need to make a decision.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Engine is in great shape
80-90% highway driving
very little towing
some heavy hauling maybe 2% of trips
Question: Yall think 20k+ on AP is doable OCI?
Will send off oil sample at the end
Got the AP at Wally on Clearance and could not pass it up

WHY? can't be to save a handful of $ and risk all kinds of more $$ breakdowns.
crazy.gif

It's a good oil.

But I wouldn't run it that long.

Stick to the Toyota recommendation of 10,000 miles.

If you want to go longer, send off the sample AT 10,000 miles. Get a TBN. It'll give you a much better idea of how long you can run it.

Last edited:
At this point I'm just running the manufacturer recommended OCI. The couple bucks savings just doesn't matter to me.

I'd go the Toyota 10k and call it good.

It may be able to do it, but I don't see the point in doing so. I wouldn't do it in my Tundra. 10k is plenty for me.

Running the normal OCI with that oil, engine, and driving pattern seems to be a waste of a great product.

I would be doing 15K OCI

What is the sump, like 8qts, 7.5? Lots of reserve there....

A guy was selling a 201x Tundra on CL that had 280K miles on it, he proudly boasted 3K OCI ALWAYS with Mobil 1.... Wow his money but where is the benefit?

Last edited:
The benefit might be in the cash or check that guy receives, when he sells that Tundra with a lifetime of Mobil-1 OCIs at 3k.
Another benefit might be in the next owner's donation, where the junkyard salvages the engine, so someone else could use it at a bargain price.

Back