Chines made air filters. Am I overthinking?

Shopping for a new air filter for the FJ. Many are made in China. I realize that China can and does make quality products. But what percentage of chinese made parts are flawed?

I do not want to compromise the engine in any way by using an inferier air filter.

K&N is not an option either.

I am also thinking that a name brand like wix,purolater etc may be ok and since much of the process is automated place of manufacturer may not be important.

Is the paper in Chinese filters made in China too or made somewhere else to be assembled in China?

Chris your FJ appears to use the same filter as my Tacoma. (trapezoidal shape)

The factory interval for this filter is 30K miles, so you can pretty much just buy a USA made one (or whatever works) and you don't need to worry for 2-3 years depending on how much you drive.

If the filter replacement interval was 10k then maybe you could balance the risks of a Chinese made one since you are having to buy them often.

I bought some parts from a local dealer and the $18 retail air filter was 12 something plus tax on a sale they were having. Denso made in Japan. Even at retail I would prefer it to something else for 15. Some aftermarket Densos were made in USA for common models too. Now some are made in China probably but in their factory.
They had $50 or more free shipping too and I did it all online a few weeks ago. They sent a guy out with the parts in a new Tundra and delivered to the door.

Get the Fram Ultra XGA9683 at Walmart. It's Korean, which is better than Chinese
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get the Fram Ultra XGA9683 at Walmart. It's Korean, which is better than Chinese
smile.gif

I run this in my Tacoma, and the latest UOA came back very low on silicone. And I believe I recently saw a price rollback when I was in Walmart. Not sure if it was permanent.

I think its a great filter.

Originally Posted by Chris142
smile.gif

I did and it is plugged 9 mts later!

Isn't that what you want it to do? Catch everything?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JerryBob
smile.gif

smile.gif

Ya. I just hate going to walmart now.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
smile.gif

smile.gif

Ya. I just hate going to walmart now.

And the XGA line is apparently exclusive to Walmart, too. I suppose you could buy them on walmart.com

Why not get the first time fit (143-3025), which may be made in China, at a Denso factory, which still has the foam layer glued to the bottom of it.

Back