journalist's phone hacked

Shortly after his release, he was approached by Amnesty International, which asked to look at his phone. The spyware they found — commonly known as "Pegasus" — can be traced back to the Israeli cyber surveillance company, NSO Group.

Pegasus exploits were patched in iOS 9 back in 2016. How old was this guy's phone?

Interesting article.

Speculating about moderator identity is too close to doxing for it to continue. Those posts have been deleted.

Thanks,
Astro

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Pegasus exploits were patched in iOS 9 back in 2016. How old was this guy's phone?

From the article:
"In 2017, he was arrested while reporting on a security crackdown in the Rif region, and again this past December after one of his tweets described a local judge as an "executioner." "

So, this has been going on for awhile.

Scary stuff there. I heard all smart phones and wireless carriers monitor cellular data calls and text usage. There's keywords that are listened for or looked for that trigger the tap to begin.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I heard all smart phones and wireless carriers monitor cellular data calls and text usage. There's keywords that are listened for or looked for that trigger the tap to begin.
There is no "I heard" like it's gossip or a rumor necessary. The carriers don't (directly) but the NSA does ... or did. This program started after 9/11. They claim to have stopped doing this about a year ago. This isn't some made up stuff from conspiracy websites either.

Back