Motor Oils in Spain - Pics

FCD

I started a new job recently at the automotive section of Carrefour, say like the Walmart of Spain / France
lol.gif

Here are a couple pics of the Motor oil aisle, hope they are good enough quality.

To sum it up, 10W-40 Syn-Blends selll like there is no tomorrow, and hardly anybody buys the Full Synthetics because of the ridiculous prices, Note, Castrol Edge 5W-30 C3 for 57.95€
Nobody buys OEM approved coolant either, 10% Conventional Green is what people buy!!
To sum it up 99% of people are clueless as to what oil or coolant their car should have, and-or don't care.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20200627_221033 by Lauri Lind, en Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20200627_221046 by Lauri Lind, en Flickr

Note some of the crap we sell :

10W-40 A2/B2, the boxes it comes in literally say "NO NAME 10W-40"
crazy2.gif

15W-40, SF/CD
Cepsa Platinum 20W-40, also SF/CD
Krafft Professional 20W-40, a CF only rated HDEO.

20w40 might have some use if it's cheap enough. to change early a few times if an engine has been neglected. Should have group 1 oil in it which disperses deposits...

I think I'd use it in lawnmowers and a compressor aswell. But at 20- 24 euro for 5 litres it's still too expensive.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
20w40 might have some use if it's cheap enough. to change early a few times if an engine has been neglected. Should have group 1 oil in it which disperses deposits...

I think I'd use it in lawnmowers and a compressor aswell. But at 20- 24 euro for 5 litres it's still too expensive.

True, you can get a quality 15W-40 SL/CI-4/ACEA E7 for about 25€

Or even on Amazon, Total Quartz 9000 5W-40, which is SN, A3/B4 and Porsche A40, for 25€

Yeah that Cepsa 20W-40 caught my eye, any idea of TBN or zinc levels ?

Still, it's too expensive given a few dollars more will get you Total 10W40 semi-synthetic.

A quick glance at your pics makes me think I'd be buying Repsol and Total products if they were correct for my engine.

It looks like your store uses the same yellow shelf tag design as Advance Auto Parts.

What kind of taxes are added to sales over there?

Taxes are included in these prices. 21% in Spain I believe ?

Edit : "beauty" of most European countries, prices on the tags are what you pay at the cashier. In France they mostly use these LCD price tags that they can change from distance. Tags have to include price per Litre (or Kg if that applies). I don't remember if the VAT free price is also included in supermarkets, i know it is in some stores more targeted to professionals, like Staples style, or car parts stores, but you always have the VAT price included, I believe it's mandatory.

Last edited:
thanks for that; not sure about any one else, but i find taking such photos 'awkward'

Fun to see shots of things we see in our daily travels, but from somewhere else

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
A quick glance at your pics makes me think I'd be buying Repsol and Total products if they were correct for my engine.

It looks like your store uses the same yellow shelf tag design as Advance Auto Parts.

What kind of taxes are added to sales over there?

21%

Originally Posted by SR5
Yeah that Cepsa 20W-40 caught my eye, any idea of TBN or zinc levels ?

Still, it's too expensive given a few dollars more will get you Total 10W40 semi-synthetic.

iirc the Cepsa 20W-40 has a TBN of 6-7, ZDDP no idea but i would assume it has to be high.

So are people buying 10% antifreeze, 90% water or is that something they brew themselves?

Just a theory, but does double and triple oil prices have something to do with you
being in the beautiful Balearic Islands. Kinda like resort prices for everything.
Either way, good luck at your new job!

Originally Posted by DrDanger
Just a theory, but does double and triple oil prices have something to do with you
being in the beautiful Balearic Islands. Kinda like resort prices for everything.
Either way, good luck at your new job!

Prices are a little higher than on the mainland but not much.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by eljefino
So are people buying 10% antifreeze, 90% water or is that something they brew themselves?

Premix 10%

Spain must have some REALLY good antifreeze if it can prevent corrosion at less than 33% coolant ratio, I would think corrosion would occur if we tried that here.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by eljefino

Premix 10%

Spain must have some REALLY good antifreeze if it can prevent corrosion at less than 33% coolant ratio, I would think corrosion would occur if we tried that here.

Ofcourse the 10% Coolant does not protect properly, people just don't know any better.
Concentrate coolant is extremely rare here, usually only available through Amazon for example.
A lot of people don't even bother with coolant, just plain water.

Last edited:
Back