Supertech HD 30 CF-2 “SG”

Does anyone have a virgin oil analysis of this stuff?
I can't find one anywhere, and PQIA didn't sample it, either.

It's $9 for a 2 gallon jug on clearance … I've got plenty of older farm equipment that it can go into, but other than being the "go-to" oil for 2-stroke Detroit diesels, I can't imagine why they bothered to carry this stuff?

Linctex; What special application are you going to use this oil for that would necessitate a VOA?
Maybe define what you want in a SAE 30 engine oil and go from there, instead of finding an engine oil on sale then trying to determine if it fits your application.

Yesterday you were looking for a shear stable 5w30. Are you considering a mono-grade mystery oil instead?

Originally Posted by Linctex
...but other than being the "go-to" oil for 2-stroke Detroit diesels...

Two stroke Detroits require 40 grade HD oil unless working in the Artic.

It's likely re-cycled oil. I bought a 5 gallon pail of SAE 40 for $10, which works out to $7.30 USD. 5 gallon pails of this and that fluids and engine oil are $47 Cdn or $34 US.
Next summer I'll run that SAE 40 in a LML Duramax and something that calls for 0w20 .Lawn mowers and tractors cost too much to replace to start experimenting.
SAE 30 is recommended because it's the best.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
...but other than being the "go-to" oil for 2-stroke Detroit diesels...

Two stroke Detroits require 40 grade HD oil unless working in the Artic.

Another reason to wonder why they sell it in Ca.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Linctex; What special application are you going to use this oil for that would necessitate a VOA?

Because it's brand-new production oil in 2020 with a CF2, SG rating… It doesn't seem a little bit odd to anyone besides me??

I have plenty of older equipment from the 1970s, 60s, 50s, even 1940s… That will all use this oil *just fine*. I'm really curious to see what the additive pack is in it, though...
In a world of SN rated oils, why does this exist??

It's likely re-cycled oil.

I seriously doubt that. It's almost clear, not quite like water, but close. The base oil appears to be some type of bright stock. It seems to have pretty decent clinging properties… It might make a pretty good bar/chain oil.

I guess I'll send a sample off to Blackstone to see was in it. I'm just really curious…

Most in the first sentence and may in the second. Shell T-1 is API SN.. It may be good enough in most vehicles weather permitting.
What was the purpose of this thread if you already knew the answer?

What was the purpose of this thread if you already knew the answer?

MY ENTIRE PURPOSE:
"Why is this oil different enough ... that it doesn't meet API "SN"

I mean - - It is API "SG" .....
BUT WHY???

What is missing from it??

Will it kill an engine that requires SH? If so, Why? if not, Why? What additives does it have? What additives are missing?

What is missing from it??

More likely what is not missing - it has too much of something to meet SN.

Maybe it meets SN and maybe it doesn't. Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I guess I need to send in a UOA - I currently am running it in a 1994 F350 (460 gas)

Originally Posted by Silk

That would be a pleasant surprise - - but judging it by the light color, I am guessing not???

Maybe it meets SN and maybe it doesn't. Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I guess I need to send in a UOA - I currently am running it in a 1994 F350 (460 gas)

That would be a pleasant surprise - - but judging it by the light color, I am guessing not???

I would imagine it would be similar to delo or rotella sae 30. I noticed it was available in 1 gallon jugs at my local Walmart.

Silk said:

Castrol Edge 5W-30 only meets SL/CF, but is A3/B4 - too many good things to meet SN. Oh, it's light in colour, you won't like it.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 only meets SL/CF, but is A3/B4 - too many good things to meet SN. Oh, it's light in colour, you won't like it.

Sounds like some good stuff.

I have ran it for years along with traveller, mag1, hdx, pyb LL, R-1, and union76.
I run it in the weed whip all the way upto my 7.3psd. I know CF in the 7.3heui.
I like the i gal jugs but miss the 2gal jugs.
I will go back to 5gal or 55gal next time.

Back