Window tint

Planning on tinting the windows on our new to us '09 Accord coupe.
Thinking about going with 3M Crystailline in 40 percent.
The crystalline film is supposed to block 60 percent of solar heat.
The black leather interior gets pretty warm.
Anyone have any experience with the Crystaline film?
Is it worth the extra $100.00?

Most non ceramic films do the same thing. Don't believe the hype. 3M makes good films, but also has amazing marketing to justify the price. Go to a shop that has been around for a long time, ask their opinion pro's vs cons vs price. Get quotes from several different places.

Good Luck and congrats on the new car ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EvoIX
Most non ceramic films do the same thing. Don't believe the hype. 3M makes good films, but also has amazing marketing to justify the price. Go to a shop that has been around for a long time, ask their opinion pro's vs cons vs price. Get quotes from several different places.

Good Luck and congrats on the new car ðŸ‘

Will do.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kira
Is the level of tint you desire legal ?

It comes up.

Yes. Going 40 percent, 35 percent is the max in Georgia.

I have Crystalline on the front windows of a truck. it makes an appreciable difference over the non-Crystalline on the other windows.

I would say its easily worth 100 extra...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I have Crystalline on the front windows of a truck. it makes an appreciable difference over the non-Crystalline on the other windows.

I have 2 vehicles one with, one without, NO DIFFERENCE at all.

So user experience may vary.

Originally Posted by TOMJ
Originally Posted by Kira
Is the level of tint you desire legal ?

It comes up.

Yes. Going 40 percent, 35 percent is the max in Georgia.

40% will put you right around the legal limit once you take into account the slight tinting that is in most all factory glass. Even though you can't really see it, it is there.

If the shop has one of those heat lamps to compare different types of tint, that will give you a good impression.

Sitting in the sun all day.. the car is going to get hot, regardless of tint type. The tint type matters when you're driving in a hot day with the sun beating down on it, how hard the AC will operate to keep the temperature.

Last edited:
You definitely want ceramic window tint. Supposedly it interferes with radio reception, but can't say I saw that happen to me.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
You definitely want ceramic window tint. Supposedly it interferes with radio reception, but can't say I saw that happen to me.

That's metallic films, but I didn't have any issues with my car and it's metallic window tints.

Originally Posted by 97prizm

No it doesn't. It's one of the features of ceramic tint.

I've had metallic tint that interfered with the radio reception on my old car, as the radio antennas were built into the glass.

I have the 3M Crystalline on all windows including windshield. Legal tint darkness whatever that was. Not that dark. Requires certified installer. I love it even in 115 degree heat, with A/C on of course. Fan running on speed 1 or 2 (out of 4).

3M makes some pretty good tints. I opted for Solar Gard as I have been using it for 17 years and have had good results. Whatever you do try to stick with the installers that have been around a long time. I wouldn't have a vehicle without tint.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Yep, spend the extra money.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
If the shop has one of those heat lamps to compare different types of tint, that will give you a good impression.

Sitting in the sun all day.. the car is going to get hot, regardless of tint type. The tint type matters when you're driving in a hot day with the sun beating down on it, how hard the AC will operate to keep the temperature.

Yep. Find a shop with the heat lamp thingy.
I was surprised by how much the ceramic tint cuts the heat transfer. And with the ceramic the tint doesn't have to be limo dark to reject the suns heat.

I would pay the extra hundred bucks for 3M.
I can't speak for cars but I'm blown away now going on 14 years that we have had 3M night vision 35 window tint applied on 14 double hung windows and two six-foot windows on the back of our house which faces west and to this day it has not deteriorated at all and from what I see changed colors in any way.
On our vehicles we have used Pro tint Ceramic. That is a nationwide franchise with lifetime warranty. All I know is we never had a color a shift in the car windows Though of course we don't have the cars for as long. As posted by somebody regarding the heat lamp demonstration. The pro tint was pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Back