Ford Required 3,000/1,800 Mi OCI

I was reading the Owner's Manual on my 2018 F150 (Yes I'm weird) and noticed sonething odd. For sub-Saharan Africa and Middle East 3,000 mi OCI with SM/SN quality or equivalent oils and 1,800 mi with lower quality oils.

What happened to follow the IOLM? High Sulphur perhaps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
High operating temperatures are likely behind it.

The IOLM should cover that.

I'm betting the dust is the biggest issue along with possibly Ford not comfortable with the lubricant being genuine.

The interval for continuous dirt road or off-road operation in the USA is 5,000 mi.

Last edited:
I wonder what type of oil/interval for this sub-Saharan Ford is?
[Linked Image]

Then why don't high temperatures matter in, for example, Texas?

I vote for dubious fuel quality.

Why aren't the recommendations in those countries in kilometers, not miles?

My fuel would be dusty sandy conditions with travel on unpaved roads and the vehicle's engine working harder. Poorer fuel would also be a concern.

Do vehicles in that region use snorkel type air intakes?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Do you not believe the OLM is modified for the region the vehicle is sold in?

For low volume cars of USA Spec I doubt it. It was in a USA Owner's Manual after all. However I wouldn't think it would need to be. Why would it calculate OCI from the same high operating temps differently in the Middle East than Death Valley?

It's the dust, oil quality and fuel sulphur content the IOLM doesn't monitor

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gene K

Right, but it seems to me they would account for that. Maybe set the OLM to 3k mile maximum instead of 5k or whatever it normally is.

Originally Posted by Gene K

Right, but it seems to me they would account for that. Maybe set the OLM to 3k mile maximum instead of 5k or whatever it normally is.

All I'm doing is reading the manual. For the other conditions it says follow IOLM except for dust, dirt roads and off-road which is a flat 5,000 mi just like an accidentally reset IOLM. For sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East is says 3,000 mi with SM/SN or equivalent and 1,800 mi with lower quality oils with no allowance for the IOLM.

You would have to find someone that bought one in that area to find out if their IOLM had been turned into flat 3,000 mi / 365 day counter (Since the time period isn't changed) or it still tracks 10,000 mi to 3,000 mi depending on conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94

No idea why it's in miles. Maybe because it's a USA Manual? I suspect the closeness of 3,000 mi to 5,000 km and 1,800 mi to 3,000 km may not be a coincidence.

Last edited:
With the Sarhar Dust storm I drive thru today on the way back home from the Gulf of Mexico

I may need to do filter change as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94

Because the heat in Texas does not compare to that in the mid-east. For all of our complaining about how hot it is in Texas, it is even hotter there and when coupled with the sand, it does not make for a long OCI environment.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but much of Africa and the Middle East have absolutely garbage fuel as well. Practically clarified bunker fuel or something to that effect. It ain't like running 89 from the Sheetz down the road.

Back