Racing oil - not suitable for street use?

Gentlemen,

i recently stumbeld across this interesting Racing oil line from the german ROWE company:

https://www.rowe-oil.de/shop/racingprodukte/?filter=%7B%22limit%22:5,%22total-count-mode%22:1,%22page%22:1,%22maincat%22:%222400d62d982c41a19925557ae92c8327%22%7D

PAO + Ester.

I contatcted them and asked if this oil is safe for use witt catalytic converters. The answer was postive, it is safe to use with catalytic convertors.
But, in the technical papers, the company stresses that they recomend this oil only for competiton use.

Ist there a reason for this? Is there a danger when using this oil with short intervalls in a street driven vehicle? Is there soemthing i dont know?
Technical, the racing oil just use higher quality base stocks and a better package. And people also use the Motul 300 series and redline oils on the road with succes...(?)

Originally Posted by Jetronic
racing oils don't need reserve alkalynity, they get replaced after every race. TBN will be low.

Agreed, different add pack. Racing engines can have low run time before rebuild so maximum friction reduction for highest power output is the goal.

I ran High Performance Lubricants Bad [censored] (BAS) 5w-30 in my 2002 Tahoe for the past 5k miles to test exactly this. It is a dedicated racing oil designed around high rpm drag cars and sprints. It survived the 5k mile use. My main consideration was for weekend warrior cars that might do the 1,000 mile trip for drag week and want to ensure the oil will be up to the task. That answer is yes. I wouldn't advise it for a daily driver looking for ultimate durability as there are better oils for that task that are also cheaper. The same can be said for other oils like it.

Here's the UOA I just posted yesterday: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...30-5-092-mi-2002-tahoe-5-3l-with-264k-mi

I have used the Motul 300V many times with success on the street. Motul's US rep told me it has a full street adpack of "12%" but unsurprisingly did not define the additives. Totally safe for street use. I used Redline street oil for almost 2 0 years in one vehicle, sadly now gone, and it had 250,000+ miles when it left still running like a sewing machine so I think that worked pretty well too. Notice I sais *sreet* Redline. They are pretty insistent that their racing oil is race only. As usual only you can make the choice after considering your needs/desires and the high costs involved.

You can use a "racing oil" in a street vehicle, but the questions is why?
I ran RL 5w30 in my tuned Lancer Evo MR and had incredible results. After 5 yrs, 60k miles (many of which were on a track) plus COUNTLESS dyno runs, never had a turbo failure. Even after running double the OEM HP.

I also noted a 15c decrease in oil temps while on track compared to using the OEM fill which was M1 10w30.

I did daily drive my Evo and had no issues. It was justified on a car making 400whp from a 2.0 4 banger. But on lets say a Toyota Corolla?? would be a waste of money.

In my current cars? I run Castrol Edge EP. Would not even think of running Amsoil or RL in my wifes truck or our Sonata. Waste of money IMO.

Last edited:
You can probably use racing oils for the very short term.

Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but I always thought that the reason for NOT using racing oil in our daily drivers is that the racing oil DON'T have the additive package designed for that long term driving style, e.g., 6 months/6K miles.(or even 3mo/3K).

Mainly due to the racing oils being designed for those 1-2 events and then changed...or for frequent engine rebuilds.

Big time racing teams probably rebuild engines after each racing day. Not after just one race but after the event is over. Then too, they most likely have multiple engines and/or cars. And maybe change the oil/filter between races at an event.

Those teams with less monies/sponsorship will work within their budget.

Last edited:
There are "Street" Racing Oils and "True" Racing Oils.
Racing engines simply don't accumulate enough miles for acid or sludge to be a real concern in their lifetime.

Valvoline VR1 Regular (Blend) and Synthetic are Street Racing Oils.

Valvoline Pro V is in at least some cases real racing oil (I've gotten conflicting info on 0W-30).
Nitro 70 to be used in a Top Fuel Dragster.
0W is 3.5 cSt @ 100C for when you need ever last horsepower in your Pro Stock car.
When the entire field is qualified with hundredths of a second every thousandth counts.

Last edited:
Some oils say racing but can go the full distance like a street oil. You need to investigate each product by itself.

racing oils don't need reserve alkalynity, they get replaced after every race. TBN will be low.

So let me make sure I hear what your saying they spend less on the oil in a few ways call it race oil and charge you more fir it?

Generally racing oils are not designed for extended drain intervals. They do not contain the very high levels of detergent/dispersant additives found in long life oils, because these inhibit ultimate wear protection which is of utmost importance in race engines.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

So let me make sure I hear what your saying they spend less on the oil in a few ways call it race oil and charge you more fir it?

Not really. They are built different. The oil designed to stand up to Nitromethane dilution that is so severe if the engine misfires it hydrolocks and blows the engine while making 20+ bhp per cubic inch and is changed after 4 seconds at full power is very different from what you would use.

That 0W 3.5 cSt oil would not be good for longevity and sludge formation in your street engine but every last stop has been pulled out the find that last 0.01 horsepower. It's different not cheaper. It's also made in much lower volumes which ups the cost per unit. Ask MolaKule about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Scuderia
What about oils used in endurance racing?

LeMans record is only a little over 3350 mi. I doubt they worry much about the effects of acid over a few hours. That and some practice and qualifying sessions are pretty much the life of the engine and the oil gets changed after the practice sessions (not sure they can touch the engines after qualifying anymore). There are reasons True Race Oil doesn't run detergent and it's not to save money.

Last edited:
Racing oils don't need reserve alkalinity, they get replaced after every race. TBN will be low.

Correct - Low TBN, and low (or none) detergents

HA! Found a VOA at the russian oil Club.

https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/39784-rowe-hightec-racing-motor-oil-0w-40-%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B5/

TBN 6,66 and calcium with 1800 ppm as detergent.

So, should be o.k. for street use with a short OCI? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChristianReske
HA! Found a VOA at the russian oil Club.

https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/39784-rowe-hightec-racing-motor-oil-0w-40-%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B5/

TBN 6,66 and calcium with 1800 ppm as detergent.

So, should be o.k. for street use with a short OCI? What do you guys think?

how do u translate this whole site into english?

Back