is Mopar Limited Slip Additive a must?

Greetings, I had a differential fluid change at the dealer? However, I suspected that the dealer didn't add the Limited Slip Additive even though the manual asks for it for my car for the rear differential? can I get away with not using it or I have to drain again and make sure to add the Limited Slip Additive? my car is Grand Cherokee 2018 Laredo 3.6.

Originally Posted by John344
Greetings, I had a differential fluid change at the dealer? However, I suspected that the dealer didn't add the Limited Slip Additive even though the manual asks for it for my car for the rear differential? can I get away with not using it or I have to drain again and make sure to add the Limited Slip Additive? my car is Grand Cherokee 2018 Laredo 3.6.

What makes you suspect this and did you come straight out and ask?

Is there a problem there now that did not exist before the change?

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

I didn't see it in the system when they showed me the bill only the price for the fluid, and I asked them about it and he hesitated for a moment then he said Yes. So if it's crucial for the rear differential then I'm worried.

I didn't see it in the system when they showed me the bill only the price for the fluid, and I asked them about it and he hesitated for a moment then he said Yes. So if it's crucial for the rear differential then I'm worried.

Its more likely in the fluid but to get peace of mind- call and verify

Originally Posted by Chris142
Depending on the brand of fluid used it may have had the addative already in the oil.

The brand was Mopar 75W-85

Its more likely in the fluid but to get peace of mind- call and verify

They used Mopar 75W-85 I'm not sure if it has this additive already or not, and to be honest, it was expensive for the each Liter

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
A limited slip differential is unavailable on a 2x4 v6 Laredo, and optional on a v6 4x4. If you do have an open diff the additive will not make a difference either way.

Note: link is a pdf.

https://www.jeep.com.au/content/dam...n_au/pdfs/MY18_WK_Buyer's%20Guide_v5.pdf

My Jeep has the Electronic Limited-Slip for the rear differential. It's already equipped with it? so does that make the additive really important?

Isn't electronic limited slip accomplished through brake application? If there are no ckutches/cones in the rear end then it doesn't need any additive.

If it has QuadraDrive II and the $800 electronic limited slip option its computer controlled. and not a brake type thing.

This is different from Quadratrac II

IIRC its only available in conjunction with the V8 option.

So I'd guess the OP is fine without additive.

I think the OP probably has the Wheel brake based system that doesnt require anything special in the open differential(s)

if you post a vin or window sticker it should be apparent what you have.
'
if you are paranoid with your vin
goto this website
https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Jeep.html
then post the result here.

Unless you have a special order Laredo, your model doesn't have a Limited Slip and therefore, doesn't require the limited slip additive.

Some good reading: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

it also looks like

Mopar® Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-85 with Modifier
Mopar p/n 68083381AA

Note: A separate limited slip additive is NOT required.

I also doubt your jeep has the electronic limited slip anyway, since afaik it only comes with v8 quadra-drive II

I know for a family member's Dakota with an LSD rear it was 100% necessary with any fluid besides the Mopar fluid that already had the modifier in it. It would bind and clunk like crazy without it.

Originally Posted by Rand
If it has QuadraDrive II and the $800 electronic limited slip option its computer controlled. and not a brake type thing.

This is different from Quadratrac II

IIRC its only available in conjunction with the V8 option.

So I'd guess the OP is fine without additive.

I think the OP probably has the Wheel brake based system that doesnt require anything special in the open differential(s)

if you post a vin or window sticker it should be apparent what you have.
'
if you are paranoid with your vin
goto this website
https://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Jeep.html
then post the result here.

I have searched my vin on the website and got nothing (Sorry, a Window Sticker is unavailable for this VIN) However, I'm quite sure that I have the Quadra-Drive II system includes Electronic Limited slip differential for rear axle and HDC.

Originally Posted by newtoncd8

Unless you have a special order Laredo, your model doesn't have a Limited Slip and therefore, doesn't require the limited slip additive.

Some good reading: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

Originally Posted by Rand
it also looks like

Mopar® Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-85 with Modifier
Mopar p/n 68083381AA

Note: A separate limited slip additive is NOT required.

I also doubt your jeep has the electronic limited slip anyway, since afaik it only comes with v8 quadra-drive II

Check the upper post I'm I wrote the specification that came with my car. I'm quite sure that I have it.

FWIW you'll know it if you need to add the additive. Your rear will make noise sort of like a growling or tire rubbing when you're going around low speed tight turns.

I have searched my vin on the website and got nothing (Sorry, a Window Sticker is unavailable for this VIN) However, I'm quite sure that I have the Quadra-Drive II system includes Electronic Limited slip differential for rear axle and HDC.

QD2 is only available on the V8 and V6 Overland models.

Also, do you have the Selec-Terrain® option in the center console?

Finally, the way to know for sure, email Jeep and ask for a build sheet.
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/EmailPage.html

Originally Posted by newtoncd8

QD2 is only available on the V8 and V6 Overland models.

Also, do you have the Selec-Terrain® option in the center console?

Finally, the way to know for sure, email Jeep and ask for a build sheet.
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/EmailPage.html

Yes, I think the region specs are different in each country.

Back