5W-30 That Doesn't Shear

There is no such thing as an oil that does not shear. Some oils shear more than others depending on a number of factors.

Gokhan's calculations and charts are theoretical constructs and are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Ya reckon that's a serious GDI engine that did not trash a good oil (and AFM) … far from universal here …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Ya reckon that's a serious GDI engine that did not trash a good oil (and AFM) … far from universal here …

Ya know.....

I'm just messing with ya???

Right ????

lol.gif

Have your "training" shock collar batteries run out of power ???

You know now your not supposed to say stuff like that on here.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
There is no such thing as an oil that does not shear. Some oils shear more than others depending on a number of factors.

Gokhan's calculations and charts are theoretical constructs and are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Got anything better to go off of?

Agree
Sometimes hard evidence like math turns up wrong.
Example: 1+1 sometimes = 3 or more.
But our math books say "impossible"..... that it's always 2.

Works the same M.O. with oil. Some of my best formulas / recipes was mixing / blending from used containers in my garage.
Our vehicle engines many times will tell us what it likes best. But an oil scientist who analyzed my Franklenstein recipe might disagree quickly, after reading the findings.

Some of our best cures in life, accidentally happened - by concocting the recipe differently than instructed.
Some of our best oil recipes too. But no oil scientist will admit they screwed up the recipe, to begin with. No way Jose!

Originally Posted by dblshock
buy a motor that doesn't sheer oil.

Next you are going to tell us to back it down from 30 psi.

Originally Posted by Gene K
I know Castol Magnatec has a rep for not shearing. What other mainstream SN+ 5W-30 is known for maintaining viscosity?

Super Tech

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Gene K
I know Castol Magnatec has a rep for not shearing. What other mainstream SN+ 5W-30 is known for maintaining viscosity?

Super Tech

Are we talking maintaining original virgin viscosity?.... OR not entering the 5w20 zone?
Many of the economy oils are thick-skinned. It's because they use ho-hum base oils with mountain-top HTHS, ash and VIIs.
Covering their tracks does lead to success for the consumer-buyer.
I'm tempted to donate all my Valvoline and Pennzoil to the desperate / parched and buy the bargain-priced brands.
So I'm going to Walmart to get started, right after breakfast. No Rural Kings nearby..... shucks.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Got anything better to go off of?

Actually yes but that's a very broad answer so we need to get more specific in your question in terms of answering it.

What specifically do you want to know?

What specific part ( defined in terms of either actual part of action of a group of parts in the asset) are you wanting to focus on?

What do you intend to do with it? ( or what results are you driving for)

Here's the biggie- is your principle focus on the oil and somehow "saving it" or is the principle focus on the machine at the point of the oils interaction with the mechanical components in terms of preserving the function of the asset? ( that's 2 different things often in direct opposition to each other)

See trip-7 gave you the "right" answer directly below your post and he is doing by T&E what I am doing with more advanced methods ( which carry a price tag to be sure but on industrial equipment with costs and risks in the millions of dollars, companies pay for it)

The basic process is this:

You have a commodity product tested to a fixed standard- that's the starting point

You have an asset (engine, gearbox, machine way, insert device here) lubricated by oil that you want to make better, longer, stronger etc. ( need to define the goals)- that's the finish line

That long trip in the middle is the hard part- it takes detailed analysis, condition monitoring and all kinds of testing ( good old T&E) to find the best possible solution.

You wont get there with a spreadsheet or calculation because no formula will account for every influencing agent and variable.

You might get there by accident but the risk there is you might make things worse or can't repeat what you obtained.

At that point its a matter of what you want to invest to get the result.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Pennzoil Platinum lineup sure isn't anti-shear capable, when reading many UOAs. Now Gokhan states the SP GF6 Platinum has increased VIIs noticeably more, to meet MPG mandates.

All this fight against lspi, turbos, direct inject, timing chain wears, engine cleaning....etc...etc... is going to show a negative-side with engine wear.

I look for the oil producers to constantly tweak this SP / GF6 formulas for the next few years. I'm not sure the brand spanking new formulas arriving this year, will look the same in a couple more years.

*This is a possible concern as a GDI engine owner (Hyundai) as the VII's are not your friend with respect to intake valve deposits ... I may stock up on my current favorite synthetic oil (Valvoline Advance D1 / G2 GFF / SN+ 5W30 synthetic oil) .

I'm basing what I've seen in UOA's. Red Line uses very little VII's and offers class leading shear stability.

My name on this board should never be aligned in the same paragraph with the Oil Master Member Molakule.
I love that guy..... learned so much from him over the years here. It's too bad I can't remember most of it....lol

I have the profiles bookmarked of four different members here. I sometimes check their recent posts / replies... for edjumication purposes.
Been clicking on Gokhan a-lot lately. But he's been mostly absent recently.
All BITOG vacations for you-4 are hereby denied.... effectively immediately....lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*This is a possible concern as a GDI engine owner (Hyundai) as the VII's are not your friend with respect to intake valve deposits ... I may stock up on my current favorite synthetic oil (Valvoline Advance D1 / G2 GFF / SN+ 5W30 synthetic oil) .

I also prefer the Valvoline Advanced, I'm using it in my daughters 2019 Santa Fe with the notorious 2.4 engine. I used the 0W-20 in our 2016 Honda HR-V which we just traded on a year old Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo, and also recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500, both of which will get the appropriate grade of Valvoline Advanced when it's time to change their oil. I was in Walmart yesterday and the Valvoline Advanced they had on the shelves was all SN+/GF-5 but I'm wondering if what's in the containers may actually be the new SP formula but it was sent out before the May 1 date so they couldn't display the new certs? That is pure speculation on my part, but it sort of makes sense that they would've been producing the new stuff before May 1. Your thoughts?

1. Worst case machine elements: valve train, cylinders (HTFS)
2. Major load bearing drivetrain: journal bearings (HTHS)

That's why I thought Gokhan's work was phenomenal. Yes, I know it's an estimate, but I'm unaware of any other work that provides these answers.

Triple_Se7en - what do you make of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30?
Hard to find here, but the attributes I've seen all look good for small GDI's: high shear stability, stout additives, etc. Shame to have to dump it @ 5k OCI's, but oh, well!

Back