Mobil Jet Oil II VOA

All ester. Oxidation figure is double what you'd see in something like Red Line, which uses approximately 40% ester in some grades. Red Line oxidation figure is 90 -120 depending on the grade.

[Linked Image]

Link

Strange post because I was thinking about that oil the other day.. I haven't seen the oil since I quit work and last night I had a pleasant dream of being at work. thanks for thr picture.

I’m assuming that the phosphorus is for fire resistance. I base that on the fact that most commercial and corporate aircraft specifically call for fire-resistant hydraulic fluid, which is phosphate-ester based.

I’m assuming that the phosphorus is for fire resistance. I base that on the fact that most commercial and corporate aircraft specifically call for fire-resistant hydraulic fluid, which is phosphate-ester based.

it's mainly an anti-wear agent for the bearings in the bearing cells and the accessories of a jet engine.

Last edited:

Just curious - Do you know what component of phosphate ester hydraulic fluid is responsible for its fire-resistant quality?

Always wondered that.

And, I’ve always assumed that the phosphorus content is what makes it irritating to skin and mucous membranes.

Yes. The oxidation number that I got on Redline 5w30 when I had a VOA done was 108. Polaris had a cow over it.

Some guy on the Russian oil forums is running this in his old Lada as an experiment, and it actually seems to be working out quite well for him. Not something I'd do, but interesting none the less.

When I worked in the Mobil Oil flight department, there was a 2.8L Camaro driving kid who used the drain turbine oil in his car. We were testing Mobil Aviation products in the fleet, so the Mobil Jet II was drained out after short order and Mobil 254 was used in the fleet instead. Then the 254 was drained! We had an A LOT of the drain oil. He used it without any failures that I am aware of. However, I do remember his engine being quite noisy/clattery on the MJ II and I'm not sure if the 254 was any better 😅😅😅😅

When I worked in the Mobil Oil flight department, there was a 2.8L Camaro driving kid who used the drain turbine oil in his car. We were testing Mobil Aviation products in the fleet, so the Mobil Jet II was drained out after short order and Mobil 254 was used in the fleet instead. Then the 254 was drained! We had an A LOT of the drain oil. He used it without any failures that I am aware of. However, I do remember his engine being quite noisy/clattery on the MJ II and I'm not sure if the 254 was any better 😅😅😅😅

...However, I do remember his engine being quite noisy/clattery on the MJ II and I'm not sure if the 254 was any better 😅😅😅😅

Well, if it required an 11 cSt or an 8.5 cSt oil then a 5 cSt Jet oil would not fill in the mechanical clearances very well.

No Moly or Zinc? Pfft my 04 Corolla with oil consumption will chew through this.

Jokes aside, thanks for this, pretty cool to see what goes into those massive engines that push us into the sky and keep us there.

my old mercedes used this for the supercharger, you need an NBC mask when you drain the used stuff out. the hellcat probably uses this as well

When I was a young sailor working on J-52 P8B engines our oil was MIL-L-23699B. (strange that I still remember that) A few of us were tempted to try it in our cars but never did.

Back