Insinkerator garbage disposal

This company makes a line of septic friendly disposals where they inject a little bit of a chemical into the line that helps septics. You have a container of the stuff you need to replace every few months.

Worthwhile or a gimmick?

If it matters I have one of those expensive septic systems with multiple chambers and an air pump.

Call me dubious. It still is pumping solids down there. Maybe if septic pumping is cheap enough that you could "prove" that the system is not getting overload from your typical usage.

Biologist, Engineer, Health Officer - No, the bacteria in the tank is sufficient, Solids clog the field, pump the solids yearly, the solids need retention time to break down, the greater the depth of the solids, the less retention time in the tank before the effluent leaves to the field.

Certified septic system inspector here...do what JLawrence says and don't use your disposal as a trash can. Use only when necessary.

My septic is a Noweco septic with a service contract and one or two inspection all required by law. They inspect and clean the various components of the septic and will tell me if it needs pumping. Parts of the septic need to be removed before pumping and then reinstalled. It came with the house. Glad I did not have to pay for it.

Not like my plain old 1000 gallon septic in my NY house.

I was under the impression that garbage disposals and disposing food scraps in a septic system was frowned upon.

Id just plainly not do it.

Experience - fully functioning 1983 gravity system at mountain home.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Biologist, Engineer, Health Officer - No, the bacteria in the tank is sufficient, Solids clog the field, pump the solids yearly, the solids need retention time to break down, the greater the depth of the solids, the less retention time in the tank before the effluent leaves to the field.

Absolutely to this.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm more familiar with the workings of them than I care to be having lived with them forever, troubleshooting them, gone through replacing them with the health dept involvement, etc..

Even if you have the luxury of being on a sewer system, the less 'slurry' you shove down your drains, the less chances of issues down the road.

Adding more solids to your septic system just increases the costs associated with it. Instead of dumping those items in your garbage can, you're tossing them in your septic system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648

Another vote for this!

It's fine to have a disposal on a septic system, just don't use it as a waste disposal! Separate out the large chunks and toss into compost, green waste, or garbage can. The bits that are too much of a PITA to capture, but are too large to just wash down the drain, this is perfect for the disposal to mince and send to the tank.

The key here is not to add bulk waste to the tank whenever possible, as it either has to be pumped or that will likely find it's way to the leach field. Both are expensive to deal with, so simply avoid it by not putting bulk waste down the disposal.
cool.gif

JHZR2 said it best with, "Id just plainly not do it."

No coffee grounds either.

We had the unexpected occasion to empty and inspect our 30 year old tank and it was declared "new".

I don't clean paint brushes in the sink either.

What is it with some people? It's your money...time...inconvenience...toilet back ups....etc. if something goes wrong.

Why push that envelope one bit? I don't get it.

Back