Ceramic Coating Questions

These are questions about ceramic coatings. You know, the ones that professionals change big money for(like $1000) but, for the DIYer.
In no particular order:

1) Can they be used on plastic headlight housings(assembly) to help prevent fogging/hazing/clouding?
2) Can they be used on the windscreen/windshield to bead up water(like Aquapel or Rain-X)?
3) Can a second coat be applied soon after the first coat?...beneficial? NOT beneficial?
4) Can these ceramic coatings be applied on black textured or flat black exterior trim(body molding/B pillars)?

This is all I have right now though I may think of other questions during this thread

Thanks,

CB

From what I've seen a few can but you have to really prep the car. Ed Bolian from vinwiki tried a specific brand on his black Porsche and said that dirt didn't want to stick. Ymmv on pricing etc. I'd order some if you have access to a clean garage. We had something similar when I detailed vehicles at a VW dealership. If there were any imperfections they were sealed in.

There are so many coatings available and there is no one size fits all answer, except for question 2. Do not use a paint coating on glass. There are dedicated coatings for glass. The best bang for your buck coating is CQuartz UK 3.0. This can be layered, but there is specific timing for layering as there is a curing process. Many people top CQuartz UK 3.0 with CarPro Gliss V2 for added protection, but is not required.

As 97prizm said prep is key, you will want to wash, clay, polish/paint correct, IPA wipedown prior to applying coating, it is certainly a time consuming process.

You cant just buy a coating and apply it after you wash and dry your car, it isnt that easy. The outcome will only be good as your prep.

I like the way you ask questions Char Baby - just the facts ma'am! Us retirees don't have as much time for chit chat!
01.gif

Originally Posted by Char Baby
These are questions about ceramic coatings. You know, the ones that professionals change big money for(like $1000) but, for the DIYer.
In no particular order:

1) Can they be used on plastic headlight housings(assembly) to help prevent fogging/hazing/clouding?
2) Can they be used on the windscreen/windshield to bead up water(like Aquapel or Rain-X)?
3) Can a second coat be applied soon after the first coat?...beneficial? NOT beneficial?
4) Can these ceramic coatings be applied on black textured or flat black exterior trim(body molding/B pillars)?

This is all I have right now though I may think of other questions during this thread

Thanks,

CB

Will try to answer your questions since I have ceramic coated 2 of my past vehicles and find it a total waste of money.
Q #1. Yes you can, but on BOTH vehicles that I had it applied to it peeled and looked like the clear from the headlights was coming off. See pic below

Q #2. They do sell specific ceramic coatings just for glass.

Q #3. Yes, but usually 2 hrs or so some longer depending on brand between coats. Added benefit? Some say yes, some say no. I say Yes but I will never ceramic coat a car again.

Q #4. There are specific ceramic products for trim. The one for paint usually is not the same you can put on plastic or rubber trim. Some have done it, but I have seen issues.

To conclude. I think Ceramics are the total fad of the decade. They are HUGE money makers for detailers is why they love them. The prep work involved is ridiculous and very time consuming. Ceramic coatings WILL NOT prevent scratches, etching from bird bombs, or anything like that. After seeing BOTH of my professionally applied coatings fail after 1 yr people would say "oh they didn't apply it correctly" or what not. That is ALWAYS their excuse.

Then there is the look. Some like it, some don't. I didn't like the look. Ceramic coatings make the vehicle look too glossy, almost phony looking. I prefer the look of a good quality wax that gives more depth and though you have to apply more often, just looks better IMO. Especially on a dark color car. look at black truck below

What I use now is quite simple and not expensive at all. I use Duragloss 105/601 combo every 6 months. I do weekly washings and top the trim with 303 and top the paint with either P&S Bead Maker, or Flash Thunder Coat.

I have had much better success with this combo. PLUS I saved THOUSANDS since most pro applied coatings on average cost $1500 to apply per vehicle.

I am sure I will get a back lash especially on THIS site for what I am saying, but from my experience, ceramic coatings are just a pain in the A S S and still require maintenance like anything else. Lots of money going out and to me not much more of a return. I will put up DG 105/601 combo up against ANY ceramic coating any day of the week. Yes you have to apply DG more often, but as far as durability and protection? Especially from bird bombs?? DG all day long. And ITS CHEAP.

Titan01.jpg

Frontier4.jpg

Last edited:
There are so many options and price points for these ceramic coatings. I recently bought a bottle of mothers CMX, its only about $20, haven't had time to do the process yet. Oddly, they do not mandate clay bar and polishing first.

Originally Posted by dareo
There are so many options and price points for these ceramic coatings. I recently bought a bottle of mothers CMX, its only about $20, haven't had time to do the process yet. Oddly, they do not mandate clay bar and polishing first.

The Product you mentioned is a spray on type ceramic coating. Not a professionally applied ceramic coating. TOTALLY different. The amount of Si02 is minimal in these sprays compared to the concentrated forms that come in the little 50ml bottles pro's use.

Si02 coatings do have a place, I just have found through my experience with them? They just are not worth the money. WWAAYY too much prep work involved and don't protect any better than a good poly amino silicon based product you can apply yourself. Yes you have to re apply more often, but the cost and ease of use makes up for it.

If you can do the Si02 coatings yourself like CQuartz UK or something like that? And you have several days and the know how to do it properly? Why not. In that case it won't cost too much, BUT will take several days to prep your car regardless.

I pass on the coatings. I mentioned what I do, it works and I keep ALLOT of money in my pocket. In the end? Your car is still going to scratch, pit, chip etc with or without the coatings anyway. Well if you actually drive your car and not just look at it in the garage. So be realistic, save your money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo

CMX is not a true ceramic coating, it's a SiO2 infused spray. I'm not saying it's bad or you shouldn't use it but because it's not a true coating you don't need the same level of prep. although it never hurts.

In no particular order:

Thanks,

CB

1) Yes, but the benefits are minimal. PPF is a better option for long-term protection against clouding. The original headlamp on my Prius is still clear after 9 years and 209K miles because it has had PPF on it for the entire time.
2) Yes, they have glass specific coatings but the wiper abrasion tends to wear them off so the durability is less than you would expect. From a value standpoint, it is difficult to beat Aquapel.
3) Many pro-coatings require 2 coats.
4) There are trim specific products but there are so many variables that can affect durability of trim products. Trim is someone porous and depending on what products it has seen in the past, it is very difficult to fully prep trim for a coating. And if the trim is oxidized or somewhat dried out, the coating may not improve its appearance.

If anyone is getting a coating thinking it will help with scratching, pitting, chipping, etc they haven't done their homework. Coatings are not supposed to help with those things. They provided extended water repellency, dirt repellency, and chemical resistance.

I, too, have coated two of my vehicles and I will say this.
1. If you have the equipment and and time to properly prep your paint, do a "pro-sumer" coating like CQuartz UK 3.0, it will be worthwhile.
2. If you don't have the equipment or time but do have a little pile of cash to throw at it AND you are good about taking care of your vehicle (hand washes), have the coating done professionally but make sure they use a professional product from Car Pro, Gyeon, or IGL.
3. If you don't have the equipment or time but do have a little pile of cash to throw at it BUT you do not take great care of your vehicle, do not put a coating on your car, it will not perform properly, stick with paint sealants.**
4. If you don't have that equipment and don't have a lot of cash to spend on it, do not put a coating on your car, it will not perform properly, stick with paint sealants.

My experience is with CQuartz UK 3.0 and Polish Angel Cosmic V2. The former is the real deal and can be tricky to apply but it has proven to be one of the most durable coatings out there. The latter (which has since been replaced by another product) was super easy to apply but ultimately didn't last longer than Jescar Power Lock.

For those two coatings I have experience with their respective toppers/boosters. Elixir for CQ UK 3.0 adds gloss that CQ doesn't add by itself and provides a nice boost for water beading. Cosmic Spritz from Polish Angel is an excellent product, it's pricey but it can almost be a standalone product in terms of gloss, hydrophobic properties, and durability.

**Why would I say don't do it if you have the money? Because coatings do need proper care to be effective. That means regular hand washes, not abrasive automatic car washes which coatings will not stand up to over a long period of time not to mention the occasional booster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gofast182
If anyone is getting a coating thinking it will help with scratching, pitting, chipping, etc they haven't done their homework. Coatings are not supposed to help with those things. They provided extended water repellency, dirt repellency, and chemical resistance.

I, too, have coated two of my vehicles and I will say this.
1. If you have the equipment and and time to properly prep your paint, do a "pro-sumer" coating like CQuartz UK 3.0, it will be worthwhile.
2. If you don't have the equipment or time but do have a little pile of cash to throw at it AND you are good about taking care of your vehicle (hand washes), have the coating done professionally but make sure they use a professional product from Car Pro, Gyeon, or IGL.
3. If you don't have the equipment or time but do have a little pile of cash to throw at it BUT you do not take great care of your vehicle, do not put a coating on your car, it will not perform properly, stick with paint sealants.**
4. If you don't have that equipment and don't have a lot of cash to spend on it, do not put a coating on your car, it will not perform properly, stick with paint sealants.

My experience is with CQuartz UK 3.0 and Polish Angel Cosmic V2. The former is the real deal and can be tricky to apply but it has proven to be one of the most durable coatings out there. The latter (which has since been replaced by another product) was super easy to apply but ultimately didn't last longer than Jescar Power Lock.

For those two coatings I have experience with their respective toppers/boosters. Elixir for CQ UK 3.0 adds gloss that CQ doesn't add by itself and provides a nice boost for water beading. Cosmic Spritz from Polish Angel is an excellent product, it's pricey but it can almost be a standalone product in terms of gloss, hydrophobic properties, and durability.

**Why would I say don't do it if you have the money? Because coatings do need proper care to be effective. That means regular hand washes, not abrasive automatic car washes which coatings will not stand up to over a long period of time not to mention the occasional booster.

Fully agree.

To add to your statement, taking good care of your vehicle means a hand wash at least 1-2x/month. Infrequent washing of ceramic coated vehicles will cause the water beading characteristics to disappear until the coating receives a chemical decontamination (e.g. Iron-X, all purpose cleaner). This is especially true during the winter season when the car sees a lot of road grime. If you are unable to wash your car at least 1-2x/month, you may not be a good candidate.

What is PPF?

Paint Protection Film. Basically a clear vinyl wrap to protect the paint.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
What is PPF?

Will this prevent the headlight housings from fogging/hazing over time?
My car is outside 24/7 and gets some sun during the day which as already started to do its damage on my '15 Altima even though I wax'em all the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
What is PPF?

Will this prevent the headlight housings from fogging/hazing over time?
My car is outside 24/7 and gets some sun during the day which as already started to do its damage on my '15 Altima even though I wax'em all the time.

Yes, but if the clearcoat failure has already started, I would not expect film to prevent further failure.

Back