Who's using Liquimoly Molygen?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I switched over to the Molygen last change and will be changing it out next week with a fresh batch at 40M on my 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen that's turbo-swapped and tuned. I've been doing UOAs since new and have used LM's Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 since the first change at 7.5k. I've used Ceratec and MoS2 friction modifier additives. The Molygen has it's own friction modifier they call MFC (Molecular Friction Control) and it's tungsten-based; no news to use a separate additive and in fact LM specifically says not to use Ceratec with Molygen. They have confirmed that using MoS2 is ok. I've done a VOA on it which is posted in the appropriate sub-forum. Finally, I realize this oil does not actually have any OEM approvals and is only "recommended for" which does pose questions for the warranty worry-warts. The VOAs indicate that this is basically Leichtlauf with the MFC and green color/additive that fluoresces under UV light (that FCP Euro includes with the oil change kit) which, IMHO, is why it doesn't have the approvals...quite sure it meets the necessary specs. I've been accused of being a LM fan-boy but honestly, it's decent oil, works well in my application, they have good customer service if you have questions, and I like to buy the pre-made change kits from a few different online Euro suppliers that support the VW "scene". I pay about $65 delivered for 6 qts of oil, a Mann filter, and a drain plug. I don't think that's much for something I do 3-4x a year for a high-performance car (albeit my daily) but yes, it's more than a run to Walmart for Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W40 VW502 00. Did I mention it's green and looks like Predator blood? Discuss amongst yourselves.

20200626_170111.jpg

20200505_064200.jpg

SNL_0818_05_Coffee_Talk_EST.jpg

Last edited:
It would effectively be a "502 equivalent" - doesn't actually have the approval but likely meets/exceeds the specs for that approval. This board seems to have an obsession with the cheapest oils that meet approvals and while I get that angle, it's also fun to use/discuss stuff that isn't especially on a car that I've spent significant dollars on upgrades to add power/drivability. Not everyone cares about saving a few bucks, hoarding stocks, and rebates. I get it, but it's not me on this car. My UOAs have looked great.

LM Molygen approvals.JPG

This stuff just seems like a total gimmick to me. I would use LM sure but what is the point of this? UV tracer dyes already exist if you are trying to find a leak.

Ravenol is real group IV with OEM approvals, not many of those out there.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by sloinker
Is that a 502/504 specification....whatever meets that and is least expensive is the go to advice on this board. If it was mine:
https://www.blauparts.com/ravenol-c...N2S-u3rgpxA2XzJAQPNINtE3HfIaAsLfEALw_wcB

What is the deal with Ravenol? I've heard folks talk about it, almost like it's mythical! Just very good stuff? Mostly "real" syn base?

Yeah supposedly they mostly use Group IV in there "Vollsynth" CleanSynto labeled oils. They do have impressive specs on paper, but the company is very secretive with normal documentation like an MSDS.

I contacted their German office once for the MSDS on some of their oil after blauparts ignored my request. They basically told me to to "prove" that there could be people exposed in a work setting to the oil. I've never experienced anything like this, a total lack of transparency on something basic like an MSDS.

I think Ravenol and Rowe have better base oils than LM. It is very difficult if not impossible to find a LM oil that is not primarily group III that is sold in NA.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Is that a 502/504 specification....whatever meets that and is least expensive is the go to advice on this board. If it was mine:

What is the deal with Ravenol? I've heard folks talk about it, almost like it's mythical! Just very good stuff? Mostly "real" syn base?

Yeah supposedly they mostly use Group IV in there "Vollsynth" CleanSynto labeled oils. They do have impressive specs on paper, but the company is very secretive with normal documentation like an MSDS.

I contacted their German office once for the MSDS on some of their oil after blauparts ignored my request. They basically told me to to "prove" that there could be people exposed in a work setting to the oil. I've never experienced anything like this, a total lack of transparency on something basic like an MSDS.

I think Ravenol and Rowe have better base oils than LM. It is very difficult if not impossible to find a LM oil that is not primarily group III that is sold in NA.

Wasn't Ravenol involved in some scam with oils?
I remember Ravenol from Europe, before moving here to US. It was always afterthought of an oil. I mean on paper they look good o paper, but cannot escape feeling of newcomer that is pushing that German aura, same like LM.

There is an SDS for the VMP I use online. Doesn't tell you much unless you read between the lines. White oil like PAO and many esters aren't hazardous under the SDA protocol's so they only list the toxic portions.

Google the oilchoice russia VMP 5W30 sds and it will show up as a .pdf download

I think it must be the real deal as they have spent the time and money for formal approvals. Maybe someone can get the PQIA to take a look and see what they see.........

Last edited:
There is an SDS for the VMP I use online. Doesn't tell you much unless you read between the lines. White oil like PAO and many esters aren't hazardous under the SDA protocol's so they only list the toxic portions.

I think it must be the real deal as they have spent the time and money for formal approvals. Maybe someone can get the PQIA to take a look and see what they see.........

PAO is usually listed in an SDS but it has another name.

It's POE and other esters which aren't.

I switched over to the Molygen last change and will be changing it out next week with a fresh batch at 40M on my 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen that's turbo-swapped and tuned. I've been doing UOAs since new and have used LM's Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 since the first change at 7.5k. I've used Ceratec and MoS2 friction modifier additives. The Molygen has it's own friction modifier they call MFC (Molecular Friction Control) and it's tungsten-based; no news to use a separate additive and in fact LM specifically says not to use Ceratec with Molygen. They have confirmed that using MoS2 is ok. I've done a VOA on it which is posted in the appropriate sub-forum. Finally, I realize this oil does not actually have any OEM approvals and is only "recommended for" which does pose questions for the warranty worry-warts. The VOAs indicate that this is basically Leichtlauf with the MFC and green color/additive that fluoresces under UV light (that FCP Euro includes with the oil change kit) which, IMHO, is why it doesn't have the approvals...quite sure it meets the necessary specs. I've been accused of being a LM fan-boy but honestly, it's decent oil, works well in my application, they have good customer service if you have questions, and I like to buy the pre-made change kits from a few different online Euro suppliers that support the VW "scene". I pay about $65 delivered for 6 qts of oil, a Mann filter, and a drain plug. I don't think that's much for something I do 3-4x a year for a high-performance car (albeit my daily) but yes, it's more than a run to Walmart for Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W40 VW502 00. Did I mention it's green and looks like Predator blood? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Do as you like. I too jumped back on the Redline train today. I enjoy helping small local Kansas business and getting great oil with a easy pour spout.

IMG_20200626_224444_448.jpg

TiGeo, I've never been a LM fan or hater, but may pull the trigger on Molygen in the future as I'm intrigued. My biggest concern with that is bumping up to a 5W-40.

I'm even more "off the rails" than you guys. Been considering Mobil1 EP 0W-20 for the Passat. The GTX Magnatec I was considering will go in mom's HRV. I still have 2-cases of the VW branded 508 to go through, but my wavering opinion and world events may change that landscape too.
crazy.gif

PAO is usually listed in an SDS but it has another name.

It's POE and other esters which aren't.

Yep, I know that it usually is. This SDS shows a few ingredients but not % by volume.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
This stuff just seems like a total gimmick to me. I would use LM sure but what is the point of this? UV tracer dyes already exist if you are trying to find a leak.

Ravenol is real group IV with OEM approvals, not many of those out there.

For sure there is wow/gimmick involved here. UV dye and a friction modifier. Cool name. They sell a ton in the VAG community.

Last edited:

So as I said...."mythical"! ahahahah

The Group 3/4 thing - doens't really matter to me but I know some folks are obsessed with it. LM has Group 4 syn oils butt hard to find here I think. I believe this is the one and it is labeled as "fully synthetic":

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/synthoil-energy-a40-sae-0w-40-1.html

Advertising, absolutely nothing special about it. Castrol, Mobil and Shell are the big players for high quality oils their huge production keeps the price competitive, that is not to say there are not any other good oils but better if at all is questionable.

Originally Posted by wemay
TiGeo, I've never been a LM fan or hater, but may pull the trigger on Molygen in the future as I'm intrigued. My biggest concern with that is bumping up to a 5W-40.

I'm even more "off the rails" than you guys. Been considering Mobil1 EP 0W-20 for the Passat. The GTX Magnatec I was considering will go in mom's HRV. I still have 2-cases of the VW branded 508 to go through, but my wavering opinion and world events may change that landscape too.
crazy.gif

Are those two cases of VW oil from the Mrs....for your most recent birthday present?
If you sell it off discretely - behind her back, I'm telling her. I'm a good squealer..... ask my kids / grandkids too.

So as I said...."mythical"! ahahahah

The Group 3/4 thing - doens't really matter to me but I know some folks are obsessed with it. LM has Group 4 syn oils butt hard to find here I think. I believe this is the one and it is labeled as "fully synthetic":

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/synthoil-energy-a40-sae-0w-40-1.html

Looks to be a great oil but at the price you can choose a boutique if you didn't care about warranty.

^^^I don't care about the warranty...at this point any large/major powertrain claims would be challenged as it's tuned and has hardware. I can use whatever I want. The Molygen dings that as well as it doesn't have the approval.

If you like it and you don't care about the warranty just keep using it. Many VW folks are avid customers and it's pushed pretty hard by tuners and vendors.

Back