Cutting donuts

I am curious, how many of you cut donuts? I love to wheel at the beach, and I cut donuts in the sand as long as I am far away from everyone else. I rip into it hard with my 5.3L 2004 2wd Avalanche. I cut 5-6 of them steering left, then 5-6 steering right, making a huge figure 8, then I stop, reset, and begin again. I had to stop when the truck started to complain, LOL.

Do you guys ever cut donuts in the sand, dirt, or snow, or whatever your climate has? Its a ton of fun. I have a huge smile while doing it. It blows off steam from being at home too much. Wife even tolerates it now, LOL.

Just spinning the tires every now and again is enough for me! It's been a long time since I've had a vehicle that could do it on command, it usually takes a wet street or extremely loose surface to get 'em to go these days. Back in my formative years, speed was my drug of choice. Where I grew up there was a several mile circular freeway system that I could hit in the middle of the night and not worry about other traffic or cops. I could crank out a couple hot laps, get the fix, and head home, none the wiser. And, by "hot lap" we're talking maybe 90 or 95mph on an empty 4 lane freeway. Nothing crazy, nothing that would harm innocent bystanders.

Absolutely! Only done it in the snow though. My driveway at the new house is just wide enough that I could easily do it in the 300, but the nannies wouldn't let you have too much fun and would intervene. The truck will be a riot though, proper limited slip differential in the back, and traction off seems to let you do whatever you want.

While not a donut, I did "test" the limited slip
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

I was expecting this thread to be moved when I arrived.
Reason-being: I thought this thread was going to discuss shaping of homemade donuts (food).
Now I'm hungry.

Skippy, I would love to experience donuts it in the snow, but snow does not happen down here where I live. Bummer.

BTW I too have a 2019 RAM Classic, but it it is babied, and lives a papered life in the garage. The ole' 2004 Avalanche has 205K miles on it, so I let it rip!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Skippy, I would love to experience donuts it in the snow, but snow does not happen down here where I live. Bummer.

BTW I too have a 2019 RAM Classic, but it it is babied, and lives a papered life in the garage. The ole' 2004 Avalanche has 205K miles on it, so I let it rip!

It's fun the first one or 2 times, then you get real tired of the snow real quick and wish for summer again! The truck is usually babied, but I never had a vehicle with a limited slip diff so I just had to test it once... okay twice
lol.gif
But mine too lives in the garage, I'll never not have a garage to park in!

[Linked Image]

The Genesis has too many electronic nannies to get a good one on pavement, but I haven't tried too hard. Those tires already wear REALLY fast. Like, I don't think I can hit 15k miles on them. Though I did do a really good one doing a U-turn where the other side of the road was a dirt lot.

The Jeep? Of course. But it's not a posi in the rear so sometimes it's good, most of the time it's just 1 wheel peel. That's offroad though.

They were definitely fun and easy to do donuts in the Evo on both dry and snow. Ofc, in an parking lot of an abandoned building though - don't want anybody else seeing. Do donuts for too long in the evo though and the rear diff will definitely let you know.

Last edited:
Not sure I have ever cut one. Whipped the rear around a few times in snow, sure.

I'm sure it's fun but I've never had a vehicle that could, save one, and I think it'd cost too much if I broke it.

Never done donuts, but my old S10 2wd had a Detroit style locker in it. You could go sideways anytime you wanted to in the rain or light snow. Although it kicked in at the wrong time on black ice and sent me strait into a guard rail. Kinda ruined the fun after that. The Tacoma has too many traction nannies to do anything like it.

Do you need a locker to get sideways? Nannies turned off and my open diff will get sideways in a hurry in snow, snow tires be darned.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I was expecting this thread to be moved when I arrived.
Reason-being: I thought this thread was going to discuss shaping of homemade donuts (food).
Now I'm hungry.

Haha me too! Now I'm suddenly craving Krispy Kreme!
laugh.gif

Used to do it in the snow. Felt that it helped me remember how to correct my way out of a spin, and to learn just how the car would react.
That all ended when I got my Jeep Unlimited, too many electronics so it just wouldn't slide (until you didn't want it to of course) It would just cut power and brake to a stop.

Snow or ice I have with kids to have fun on empty parking lots I try to perform a Swedish flick.

I did donuts once as teen to turn around and leaving up road noticed a town cop flying into parking lot so someone callled for sure. Never again!

Never heard it called that - we would always call it "doing a dohnut".

I did them on street bikes mostly when I was a kid and cars a few times when I had the power it took to keep them boiling.

UD

In the winter, I steer the Camaro more with the throttle than the steering wheel.
In my high school and college years, a snowy parking lot was an invitation to hours of fun, and an education in car control.

Back