check your dryer duct periodically!

Yeah man, carbon free drying is the way to go! We'll miss our clothesline when we relocate to SC. Seems the local ordinances prohibit them along with farm animals, wooden and chainlink fences(no HOA where we are going either).

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

CD, Good Hint.

Also If it's a long run of piping- don't forget a water trap.

My wife made me clean ours last month. It wasn't too bad as I had just replaced the collapsible Vinyl hose with a Foil hose.
a couple years earlier.

More suggestions: Don't clean the lint trap every use; A little layer of fluff on there will help filter out the fine fuzzies

And do consider as Electric Dryers are a monumental waste of electricity.

Set up a Clothesline in the good weather. We had a rope and sheave running from our 2nd story bedroom porch a tree 30 ft out in the yard.

Too modern a man for that?

No! now more than ever is the best time to use free sun power.

Our last home had a long dryer vent run so I periodically remove a section of the pipe and pushes a flexible snake with a brush through in both direction. Our new house has a very short rung to the exterior so lent only builds up on the discharge louvers. Cleaned it last week. You can't be to careful when it comes to dryers.

When we were doing our renovations we found that the dryer vent was completely plugged. Someone had put flexible plastic dryer vent over a long and contorted route vent inside the wall. It took a lot of time and effort to remove that plastic vent material, replace it with metal, fix the drywall and repaint.

And the dryer does work much better now.

Talk about a fire hazard.

Buy a condensing dryer that drains on the drain pump? No Lint filter. No fire hazard.
I do check the water pump filter periodically, Can't believe what familiar objects I find.
Not sure why anybody today would use an old tech dryer. Lack of water quantity? Last time I saw one was in Rangoon.
The vented ones have caused many fires in the UK. Most because of zero maintenance by the user. I would not have one in my house!

Plan to do this soon . Thinking of attaching a NEW round toilet brush to a few 5 foot broom handles
grin.gif
. Will use the miracle of duct tape for connecting them together . Then have the other 1/2 run dryer on cool down every few minutes to expel lint .

Last edited:
I use a clothes line outside. For winter I have a bunch of lines strung in the basement to dry clothes... it helps humidify the air. If I can't use either I'll use the dryer.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I don't know that I've ever used a clothesline in all of my 53 years...

We dry clothes outside for most of the year.

That's because we have the room and the weather supports doing it.

For a few months we need to exclusively use the dryer, which is a good reminder that telling other people "save the planet by using a clothesline" generally reveal how little the speaker knows about living in other climates and in other circumstances e.g. a tiny apartment.

Not here in the overcrowded hoa environment in NJ. My neighbors home is less than 35 feet away from mine. It's only by the grace of God that he's a quite soul who doesn't make a peep. If he were to hang his underwear outside my window..well that could be a problem.

Think about where the lint comes from in your dryer. It stands to reason that line-dried clothes last longer, or at lest get less threadbare.

I hang up most my clothes for line drying. But I will not line-dry underwear, unless my girlfriend ticks me off... then her underwear goes up.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I don't know that I've ever used a clothesline in all of my 53 years...

I'm sorry.

You can repent.

Amend you ways.

Start Anew.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Not here in the overcrowded hoa environment in NJ. My neighbors home is less than 35 feet away from mine. It's only by the grace of God that he's a quite soul who doesn't make a peep. If he were to hang his underwear outside my window..well that could be a problem.

Overpopulation and subsequent overbuilding.

I just laugh and then sadness overcomes me when I see new development with houses 30 feet apart.

Good return for the developer. Efficient packaging. Nothing else

Its called "Ravaging the Land".

Other than paved roads, my town looks much like it did in the early 1800's

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but it;s a pleasant place to be.

I live in an HOA. Clotheslines are a no no.

My HOA covenants frown on clothes lines as well.
My go around is a rope with a clip at each end.
String it up between my garage door tracks.
Not as long as I'd like but heavy stuff like towels and jeans get hung up. Big energy saver and the sunlight kind of freshens stuff up.

Born and raised in Chicago. Majority of lots, for miles on end, 30 by 90 feet. Packed in like rats.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Overpopulation and subsequent overbuilding.

I just laugh and then sadness overcomes me when I see new development with houses 30 feet apart.

Good return for the developer. Efficient packaging. Nothing else

Its called "Ravaging the Land".

Other than paved roads, my town looks much like it did in the early 1800's

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but it;s a pleasant place to be.

Speaks volumes on the popularity of New Hampshire...
28.gif

Its Nice up here.

We throw out anyone who starts to mess up our formula.

But, The Mass border towns in NH are a disaster.

But they have been for a 1/2 century - or more.

Commercial, over built and mismanaged.

Urban Creep. Garbage Chain stores and Food joints selling swill.

30 to 50 miles in - it's decent in the small towns.

We like it that way.

We don't WANT to be popular.

"Modern" is and empty promise It is garbage.

Last edited:
Back