Ok to use left over 1/2 a bottle of Nissan CVT fluid?

Hello,
I have a one half of a Nissan CVT fluid NS2 bottle left over from a previous CVT drain and refill a year and a half ago.
So planning to buy new 4 quarts (I typically drain 4.5 quarts).

Am I ok in using that left over? It's sitting securely closed with the lid, covered by plastic bag in my storage room inside the house (getting AC as rest of the place year round)

Thanks

As long as the spec is the same on the old bottles and new (Nissan revises their oils fairly often) and you kept the old bottle free of contamination it should be fine.

If the cap is lose, and the spec has changed on the new bottles? Then get rid of it. That way all the fluid is the same going in. Hope that makes sense?

It's the NS2 Nissan fluid. They used to have an old part no 999MP-NS200P but in the last 3 years the new (current) part no is 999MP-CV0NS2.
Both are NS2 class fluid.
Thanks for your reply.

I'd use it without concern.

That half a quart is still like $10 worth of fluid based on dealer prices.

It will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
I'd use it without concern.

That half a quart is still like $10 worth of fluid based on dealer prices.

I agree ^^^^^^

I'm now at 311,200 miles on my car with the CVT... 28,000+ miles since the first drain and refill... Car runs perfectly well still.

Good to use.

I have seen no viscometric difference between NS-1, 2 and 3.

Maybe more anti-foamants in some and/or differing friction modifiers - just a guess.

Seeing how many have good luck with early changes using any aftermarket stuff, I would not worry.

If it goes bad sitting around the house for a couple years, it will go bad 30x faster in the transmission!

Oil is very stable stuff at typical ambient temps.

ATF and other oils don't absorb moisture like brake fluid does and is therefore stable in storage almost indefinitely, it's shelf life will outlive its usefulness by far. Just give it a quick shake before you use it in case any additives settled out. Think about it- If ATF absorbed moisture your transmission would be full of water since it is vented and therefore open to the outside at all times.

Except Toyota WS fluid - even the manual says that will oxidize quickly in air. I think that the Kia fluid is the same way.

Originally Posted by SoNic67
Except Toyota WS fluid - even the manual says that will oxidize quickly in air. I think that the Kia fluid is the same way.

I think that's nonsense to get people to throw out perfectly good fluid so they buy more. Think about it- The transmission has air in it since it isn't filled to the top and it is open to the atmosphere and the fluid is at ~200 degrees and being splashed around, exposing the drops to air. That would oxidize it extremely rapidly compared to sitting on a shelf in a bottle at 80 degrees. Also, don't forget that the new bottles aren't filled completely to the top, there is air in those bottles too so if that was the case the bottles of new fluid would be oxidized right from the start.

Back