Transmission fluid change

Hello,

I've got a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan, 3.8L. 93,3xx miles on it. I recently purchased it and I don't know if the tranny fluid was changed.

My questions is, should I take it to the dealership to get it changed (they'll charge $250) or should I take it to my mechanic to change it (he'll charge $150)? Apparently on the 2012, the 8-speed transmission was a bit finicky at first so I want to make sure I get it done right (I don't want to do it myself for that reason).

What are your thoughts?

If you trust your mechanic, I don't know why you wouldn't just take it to him. That would be my recommendation.

I would go to the dealer, if you think the car is worth the extra c-note then I would have the dealer do it, with Hyundai fluid.

No flush at that mileage. Drain and fill + filter if there is one that is easily replaceable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
If you trust your mechanic, I don't know why you wouldn't just take it to him. That would be my recommendation.

Yes .

I just did the drain and fill on my CVT Versa after much hand wringing. My Indy charged me $125 for two drain and fills and about $23.99 per Quart of Nissan NS-2. My advice, take the plunge. My fluid looked good coming out after 75k.But now it's done already. Nothing better than putting it behind you.

Ask if your mechanic has done Genesis before. A bit different than regular drain and fill, but not complicated. If he hasn't go to the dealership.

Originally Posted by Hermann
I would go to the dealer, if you think the car is worth the extra c-note then I would have the dealer do it, with Hyundai fluid.

No flush at that mileage. Drain and fill + filter if there is one that is easily replaceable.

Most Hyundai dealerships won't fill with OE fluid unless you specify, and then they'll charge more for the service. I think most Hyun/Kia dealers use BG fluids, but that's just been my experience across multiple dealerships.

Do we use the term "Flush" on here interchangeably when we mean "fluid exchange"?

Because most machines "change out" the fluid and not "flushes the transmission".

All that can be avoided with transmission fluid exchange. This service is sometimes referred to as a transmission flush, but they aren't one in the same. A transmission fluid exchange is when the old fluid is replaced with new fluid. A transmission flush involves forcing chemicals through the system to clear out debris. Transmission fluid exchange is preventative maintenance whereas a transmission fluid flush is closer to a repair that's correcting a problem.

https://www.jackwilliams.com/blog/all-about-transmission-fluid-exchange/

Last edited:
Mine did a drain and fill. X amount out, the same in. Twice. After a bit of a run in between. The subtle slip I had during acceleration is gone. Ymmv.

The 8 speed is different from other Hyundai transmissions in that it requires fluid meeting SPH-IV-RR, not the normal SP III or SP IV.

See TSB 14-AT-005

Good news. Valvoline Maxlife meets those specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Wow, what a subtle endeavor to keep this stuff out of the reach of a shade tree mechanic. Not so subtle I guess.

Not all shade tree mechanics are created equal.

Originally Posted by user52165
The 8 speed is different from other Hyundai transmissions in that it requires fluid meeting SPH-IV-RR, not the normal SP III or SP IV.

See TSB 14-AT-005

Good news. Valvoline Maxlife meets those specs.

Ive used MaxLife in several of those transmission with good results.

I agree User. But just find a trustworthy Indy and get it done. The anticipated dread is so much worse than the actual event. We have independents here in Jersey that offer sedation during transmission servicing. You wake up and remember nothing.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Wow, what a subtle endeavor to keep this stuff out of the reach of a shade tree mechanic. Not so subtle I guess.

Not all shade tree mechanics are created equal.

Especially on BITOG.................

Back