Different Oil Brands

Does anyone here use different oil brands for different cars they own?

I have been Using Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 in my 2015 Charger and Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 in our 2019 Highlander. I'm about out of oil for both so I was thinking using one for both.

I always was horrible at sticking with one oil brand for one car....right now i've pretty much standardized on the Warren distribution/Amazon/ST synthetic stuff in my truck and the family van

I use whatever 5w30 d1g2 I can find cheapest for the Sierra. I have 4 qts of Super Tech, 4 qts of M1, 9 qts of QSUD, and 54 qts of RGT in my stash currently.

Currently running 5w30 M1 EP in the S60 because it requires ACEA A5/B5. It's only easily attainable around here in M1, M1 EP, and PP.

Been running conventional 10w30 Harvest King in the sS70 for a few years. Buy it on sale for $9.47/jug. Sadly, the local public radio station will be towing her away in a few weeks. But she has served us well as a daily driver for the past 21 years!

I try to stick with SOPUS products overall. Great deals on PP and QSUD here in the last couple months shopping online from Wal Mart. I am stocked up again for the next couple years for my fleet.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil PUP when SOPUS bought out Pennzoil due to superior cleanliness when the need for such started about 5 years ago due to engines starting to use engine oil as a hydraulic oil for VVT and MDS engine systems.

Now I am considering changing due to engines changing further. Smaller, highly loaded GDI engines need more frequent OCI and higher shear stability. High shear stability oils are botique in my area, not commonly available (Motul, Red Line, M1 ESP). Looks like your current vehicles are still old enough to use a previous generation oil like PUP?

I chose Pennzoil for the Charger because it's a Pentastar. The previous model years had problems with cylinder heads cracking and I saw some hypothesis that if you ran high detergent oil it would keep the heads cooler as they would have less deposits.

I chose Edge EP for the Toyota which has both port and direct injection, because it meets the Mercedes Benz 229.71 spec which seem to be a pretty stringent all around spec.

I had to replace the camshaft position sensor gasket in the Charger at around 67k miles so I have been using High Mielage PP in it since then to try and prevent more seals from going bad.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil PUP when SOPUS bought out Pennzoil due to superior cleanliness when the need for such started about 5 years ago due to engines starting to use engine oil as a hydraulic oil for VVT and MDS engine systems.

Now I am considering changing due to engines changing further. Smaller, highly loaded GDI engines need more frequent OCI and higher shear stability. High shear stability oils are botique in my area, not commonly available (Motul, Red Line, M1 ESP). Looks like your current vehicles are still old enough to use a previous generation oil like PUP?

I'm so worried about this I just go with the brand that's on sale cheap enough to add to my stash. I never have to buy oil its all a matter of meeting my current price point.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'm so worried about this I just go with the brand that's on sale cheap enough to add to my stash. I never have to buy oil its all a matter of meeting my current price point.

I respect your decision. I've lived that way for a few decades. But I always remained quiet about it. I never wanted anyone to know in 1969 and 1970 that my weekly food budget thru college months was about $3 per week.

I ate twice a day then. Mostly processed foods out of a can or box. But that allowed me $7 per week for party-time beer.......lol

5w30 syn Supertech for my 03 Matrix and PP or PUP for my 19 Sorento. ST has a higher NOACK from what I've read and Valvoline modern engine is good but I haven't seen anything to show it's better than PP, and Valvoline is higher price. Catch can on the Sorento, for what it's worth.

The only reason I could see this occurring would be if you had a vehicle where the engine required a specific certification.

Nah, I sorta use random oils. Whatever I feel like using at the moment. Everything from O'Reilly house brand to AMSOIL Signature Series.

I was a long time lurker here and finally joined to participate. I used to stick with M1 just because of price, availability, and reputation. While reading more and more over the time I was lurking, I realized that the brand doesn't matter much compared to the correct spec and actually changing the oil at least as often as recommended by the manufacturer. I then started the "clearance hunt" for the cheapest name brand synthetic and am now at a point where anything that costs more than $1/qt doesn't make the cut. If I was a person that didn't shop for deals, I would be perfectly happy with QSUD or ST synthetic for everything needing oil.

Would you believe our 1200 bhp Turbo Mod Motor Mustang Drag Car, 700 bhp Mustang Street Car, F150 3.5EB all had the same oil in them until recently...

They have ran Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 and SuperTech 5W-30. Which ever was cheaper (counting rebates) currently.

Only the 3.7L MKX I lease for my Mom gets special oil. Motorcraft 5W-20 because that's what Quick Lane puts in.

Decided to try some of that special oil in 5W-30 in my 3.5EB recently.

Back