Havoline ProDS 5w30 - 2013 Cadillac ATS w/ 3.6L LFX

This was my fill for about half of winter - Oil was the 6 qt box of Havoline ProDS 5w30. I normally let it idle to get warm on the colder days (I know....). Im thinking fuel dilution would be slightly less without that maybe. OLM was at 4%.

I added roughly .75 qt or so of Quaker State QSUD 5W30 at right around the 5000 mile mark. Single quarts of the Havoline are not sold locally and Im not paying 11+ tax for a single quart online. This was my third time using Havoline and before that I used whatever Dexos1 synthetic that was on sale at WalMart

ATSOil1.jpg

Last edited:
Did the ProDS seem noisier than other oils? I have often seen this as a complain about this oil (specifically the 5w20 variant) but I don't think it has a material effect on protection.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Did the ProDS seem noisier than other oils? I have often seen this as a complain about this oil (specifically the 5w20 variant) but I don't think it has a material effect on protection.

I used it in the Corolla and its wasn't any queiter or noisey than any of the other 6 different oils I've used in three other oils I've used before or after it.

I bought 10 or more 5qt jugs of Haviline ProDS 5w-30 when O'Reilly had it on clearance 3 years ago. It was the SN, Dexos 1 version, not the SN Plus Dexos1 gen 2 version. Either way I never noticed any weird engine noises with it. It felt like it was a pretty good oil, I would buy it again.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
I bought 10 or more 5qt jugs of Haviline ProDS 5w-30 when O'Reilly had it on clearance 3 years ago. It was the SN, Dexos 1 version, not the SN Plus Dexos1 gen 2 version. Either way I never noticed any weird engine noises with it. It felt like it was a pretty good oil, I would buy it again.

Thanks. I got a few jugs during that same sale and I haven't used them yet but I think they'll work just fine.

Ive owned the car since 8000 miles. Off the top if my head ive used:
Mobil 1 twice,
QSUD twice,
Castrol Syn once,
Valvoline syn once,
Pennzoil yellow bottle syn once,
and then the Havoline ProDS twice now.
I also got one free dealer oil change so whatever they used.

Honestly, between them all, I havent noticed any difference in noise.

Havoline, Havoline Formula3, Havoline ProDS/Syn used to be one of my go to oils until the last batch(2018) where it was noisy in my Altima. I may try it again but, I am reluctant.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Havoline, Havoline Formula3, Havoline ProDS/Syn used to be one of my go to oils until the last batch(2018) where it was noisy in my Altima. I may try it again but, I am reluctant.

Huh... That's surprising to me CB...

You have the 2.5 L motor though right ??

My 3.5 L VQ motor runs very quiet on Havoline Pro DS 5w30.. and the other Havoline oils it runs very good on too.

Next winter, a 5k OCI limit for you on Havoline.
Do you promise to abide?....lol

Yep, kidding aside, you ran it a little too long and probably let your ride warmup too long in your driveway, during the cold winter.

Originally Posted by bbhero

My 3.5 L VQ motor runs very quiet on Havoline Pro DS 5w30.. and the other Havoline oils it runs very good on too.

As I mentioned, Havoline oils were once one of my go to oils. My engines always ran smooth & quiet.

At this one particular time, I also ran the same Havoline ProDS in my daughter's Mazda3 2.0L and it was fine in her engine. The Altima 2.5L was the loud one...IDKY! After 3-4 months, I changed back to QSUD and all was good again.

And it's not that I won't run HavProDS again however, the last batch did seem as though I had run some Mobil 1, which BTW, made every engine I ever ran M1 in, louder(more audible). I haven't used M1 either but, I have used Mobil Super Syn with great success...IDKY!

QSUD is always quiet in any engine I put it in and it's readily available and cheap. However, there was a thread or two last week about QSUD being loud in a members engine in which, everyone thought that was weird including myself.

I don't see Havoline much in my area any longer. However, I have on occasion seen the 6 qt boxes at Walmart, just not often enough.

Last edited:

You aren't the only one who noticed this problem! It's like there was a bad batch or something.

Originally Posted by rossn2
You only get 6700 miles out of full synthetic oil?

I hope your DI Hyundai isn't seeing 6.7K? Most of us Hyundai owners fall under Severe Service in our Owners Manual. That's 3.75k OCI.

I'll be rounding out my OCI number to 4. Easier to remember. With our Kia, it's not TDGI, nor officially GDI. So we are running 5k OCIs.

Originally Posted by rossn2
You only get 6700 miles out of full synthetic oil?

On my DS Pro I went 7154 miles the TBn indicated It would have easily gone 7500 miles.

Originally Posted by bbhero

As I mentioned, Havoline oils were once one of my go to oils. My engines always ran smooth & quiet.

At this one particular time, I also ran the same Havoline ProDS in my daughter's Mazda3 2.0L and it was fine in her engine. The Altima 2.5L was the loud one...IDKY! After 3-4 months, I changed back to QSUD and all was good again.

And it's not that I won't run HavProDS again however, the last batch did seem as though I had run some Mobil 1, which BTW, made every engine I ever ran M1 in, louder(more audible). I haven't used M1 either but, I have used Mobil Super Syn with great success...IDKY!

QSUD is always quiet in any engine I put it in and it's readily available and cheap. However, there was a thread or two last week about QSUD being loud in a members engine in which, everyone thought that was weird including myself.

I don't see Havoline much in my area any longer. However, I have on occasion seen the 6 qt boxes at Walmart, just not often enough.

Of course I read all of your post CB
lol.gif

I was just trying to figure out which motor you had...

Yeah that is kinda different.

I am glad the Quaker State continues to do go for you.

I have been pleased with QSHM too in my VQ motor.

I love QSHM!
I have used and will use it again for the Firebird in my signature. This Firebird has some oil drips that HM oils seem to help with, I can't say which HM oil works best as I've used ML, PHM & QSHM/DEFY over the past decade or longer.

Triple_Se7en
All vehicles in my SIG have oil changed every 5k, just easier for me to keep track of them.
The truck and Hyundai both get ProDS 5w-20 ordered online from Wally World in the 6 qt box..
Harley uses 20w-50 Schaeffer's..

Last edited:
Back