New pup

I grew up with dogs, haven't had one since I moved out of my parents house a few years ago... so today we got this adorable little guy, an English Shepherd/Blue Heeler mix. We named him Blue
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I thought this was about new pup ...

pennzoil ulta platinum

lol.gif

Definitely a good looking dog there.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Really smart dogs they like to be kept active and have something to do.

My kids will have no problem running him all over the yard! Didn't put him on a lead or leash at all tonight, he just followed the kids around everywhere, only once did he get curious and go for my neighbors flower garden. Brought him back over to our yard and he never left it again.

He instantly took to my wife, follows her around everywhere. Cats weren't that happy, haven't seen my 23lbs of utter contempt since he came in the house, Jinx took to him after a few hours and Voodoo refuses to be in the same room as him still. But Blue is incredibly nice to them, just laid there while Jinx was checking him.

My wife was joking that she turned me into a redneck... she's got me listening to country (when we first started dating 6 years ago I HATED country!), I bought a truck, started a garden with plans for a bigger one, and got a dog to ride around with me in my truck
lol.gif

Do yourself and your pup a favor... Get a crate and crate train him.

Last edited:
I have a full blooded heeler.. that polices 100 acres. Wonderful dog!

Some advice- You and your wife should start a plan for the hair and be aware of it.. They have 2 coats and its a constant. I have no idea how a creature can lose so much hair and not be bald... its truly a miracle.

Also i advise to find a chew bone supply. As a pup mine would chew anything, shred things, and could shred a towel.. as an adult mine needs/wants a bone after her evening meal... its calming and busy for her. I have bought just about every soup bone, rib bone, pork ears, cow ears etc... even deer hoofs. If you want to see the happiest dog in the world get him a pig ear.

My neighbor loves mine so much she got one as well and has 4 kids.. she says hers has the same issues as mine.. Active/Too Smart/Sheds/Needs to Chew.

Originally Posted by wag123
BIG Hint... Get a crate and crate train him.

Why?

I trained mine to pee pee pads and they have their own beds. They always hit the pad with pee and dookie and have never disturbed a thing in my home. 5 years of no crates here.

Heck mine even wait most of the time to go outside.

A crate for my dogs would be cruelty! They are part of my family and their pads are the same as my toilet..

My dogs also police my doors.. god forbid anyone or anything come near them.... they would not be able to do that in a crate.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by 97prizm
Really smart dogs they like to be kept active and have something to do.

My kids will have no problem running him all over the yard! Didn't put him on a lead or leash at all tonight, he just followed the kids around everywhere, only once did he get curious and go for my neighbors flower garden. Brought him back over to our yard and he never left it again.

He instantly took to my wife, follows her around everywhere. Cats weren't that happy, haven't seen my 23lbs of utter contempt since he came in the house, Jinx took to him after a few hours and Voodoo refuses to be in the same room as him still. But Blue is incredibly nice to them, just laid there while Jinx was checking him.

My wife was joking that she turned me into a redneck... she's got me listening to country (when we first started dating 6 years ago I HATED country!), I bought a truck, started a garden with plans for a bigger one, and got a dog to ride around with me in my truck
lol.gif

Nice pup! Kids and dogs go great together. Has the wife got you wearing bibs yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Why?

I trained mine to pee pee pads and they have their own beds. They always hit the pad with pee and dookie and have never disturbed a thing in my home. 5 years of no crates here.

A crate for my dogs would be cruelty! They are part of my family and their pads are the same as my toilet..

My dogs also police my doors.. god forbid anyone or anything come near them.... they would not be able to do that in a crate.

Mine love their crate also. Anytime door is left open one if not both are in there to nap.

20200608_213716.jpg

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Why?

All puppies eat things, in fact, they will eat almost ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! It is a crucial safety issue to prevent this from happening, for their own wellbeing. It is hard enough preventing them from doing this when you are watching them. Crate training is not cruel, if you have ever crate trained a puppy you would know this. This is PETA craziness! Dogs are denning animals and are perfectly happy to be crate trained because it satisfies their natural instinct to den. Ask any vet.
I crate trained my last two puppies, and in addition to helping with potty training, it kept them from eating something harmful. When they grew-up, they went into their crates on their own whenever they are/were scared or stressed (and even just tired) as I kept the door open for them. My current dog is 3 years old and goes into his crate almost daily, and he always goes in there whenever there are fireworks or a thunderstorm because he feels safe in there. It would be cruel to take away his safe space IMO.

You'll have years of enjoyment with that little dandy. Thank you for caring sir. Stay safe and enjoy Blue. We lived in Colorado sheep country for many years and I loved those Blue Heelers. They make a fine pet. Blue hit the little dog jackpot that all dogs and cats should experience. You take care of Skippy Blue.

Back