Motorcraft FL820S cut open 2k miles

Cut open after 6 months and 2k miles of city use. End cap fell off when I pulled the cartridge out. My last time using an FL820S on this car. Replaced with a Fram ultra XG2. I had old hard drive magnets on the end of the filter and as you can see they did a good job of catching iron particles. I'm not paying $10 for a magnetic drain plug.

20200625_190542.jpg

20200625_190757.jpg

20200625_190554.jpg

20200625_190547.jpg

Ya I read up about low quality/failure rates on the current 820's so I bought up a 6 pack of XG2's for my old Crown Vic police interceptor

Had like 5 vic's last year buy/flip/Daily Driver and used them all up but 1. Should have saved it for my next auction vic but left it with car when I sold it

Blah !!

Dave

Seems there have been several Motorcraft filters lately that the metal endcap comes off.
Not sure how it would affect filtration, but does not sit well with me.
Just the same as the media tearing and ADV cuts.
Not sure how much difference any of these things make over the life of the vehicle, but come on, I don't see this happening on a regular basis on other filters makes.
I know I expect my filters to not have large holes, tears and parts that fall apart (that are supposed to be glued together), and seems they have issues with doing this.

Yeah, I don't really think it's all that hard to make an oil filter that'll not fall apart, especially in 2,000 miles. This is the third FL820S I've cut apart and this is the only one with issues. I've cut open a lot of FL1A filters and never seen anything like this. I think for the big FL1A style filters my go to is Hastings and for the 4.6 it'll probably be a Fram ultra. The grip on the end of the filter sure helped with installing it in that cramped area!

We've used these filters on our 360,000 mile Crown Victoria with no issues. The only reason we might have to retire this car soon is all the rust has been getting a lot worse underneath the vehicle.

Those very wide pleats had potential to tear the media at the ends of the pleats. You got lucky.

One of the first Mopar filters I used back in 2013 did the same thing with the end cap. It's a non issue IMO assuming it wasn't loose in the can beforehand.

I have stopped using 820's and began using TG2's. These 820's must be made in another factory. Very unimpressive. with those wide wavy pleats and the metal end plate which tend to come loose.The other Motorcraft models ( FL1A, 500S and 400's) have very good construction.

Last edited:
Sad to see. Motorcraft filters used to be great filters for the money. Now I just use Wix on all my stuff except the Tundra.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Thanks for the cut and post.
That is one ugly filter, but MC oil filters are still the BEST!
thumbsup2.gif

True, except the 820's.

Still making junk filters, no surprise! It's been 5 years now, you'd think quality control would have stepped up by now at MannHummel! But clearly, they just don't care. I'll never run a M+H product on anything I own ever because of how negligent the company has been towards quality control and customer satisfaction.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
MC oil filters are still the BEST!
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, best at tearing, failing, and cutting ADBV's

I have an 820 on my Mustang right now. It's unlikely I'll need to change it before I sell it, but if I do I'll probably use something else.

I am missing something when looking at the pics? I don't see any tears. The fact part of the filter fell apart WHEN STRUCTURE WAS CUT AWAY doesn't mean anything. The filter is installed as a whole unit on the vehicle—Not cut apart. Cut the walls out of a building and the roof might fall down too. Didn't mean the building was unsafe or dangerous before cutting out the walls.

All I see is wavy pleats. So what?

Originally Posted by ToadU
If the filter looks like that after only 2K miles, there is a good chance it will tear like the many other FL-820s filters posted here. In addition, though you are correct that a filter is a complete unit other filters retain their end caps even when disassembled.

When viewed holistically, all of these small items add up to poor quality and a substandard product. Plenty of people still use them and swear by them but why anyone would knowingly pay for a filter that does these sorts of things makes no sense.

I am missing something when looking at the pics? I don't see any tears. The fact part of the filter fell apart WHEN STRUCTURE WAS CUT AWAY doesn't mean anything. The filter is installed as a whole unit on the vehicle—Not cut apart. Cut the walls out of a building and the roof might fall down too. Didn't mean the building was unsafe or dangerous before cutting out the walls.

I cut open two Fram Ultra filters recently and neither had wavy pleats and endcaps falling off. Both were used for 9000+ miles on engines with issues.

It is a disgrace to see an oil filter in as poor condition as this Motorcraft filter after only 2000 miles.

Guess you haven't seen the ones posted that show tears. This one had big potential to tear. I don't like potential for anything bad ... just me I guess.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by BLND1
I have an 820 on my Mustang right now. It's unlikely I'll need to change it before I sell it, but if I do I'll probably use something else.

You'll be fine. We purchase a 96'Crown Vic with 60,000 miles from an auction years ago. It now has 360,000 miles, guess what oil filter was used in that time.
wink.gif

Back