Mobil 1 HM vrs Mobil 1 HM EP

Anyone know if there is a 2 dollar benifit for 5 quarts of extended HM over regular HM ?
Better base stock ?
Or just a waste of money.
I wiound only be going 7500 on the oil regatdless of which one I go with.
The published specs are so close

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tblt44
Anyone know if there is a 2 dollar benifit for 5 quarts of extended HM over regular HM ?
Better base stock ?

All depends on how important that $2 difference is. The EP is a stronger oil.
I'll be using strong oils for only 4 and 5k OCIs. But I keep my rides from birth thru old age, junkyard retirement.

Do all EP variants have a pao base stock? I too have wondered what the EP has that the vanilla doesn't.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Better base stock ?

All depends on how important that $2 difference is. The EP is a stronger oil.
I'll be using strong oils for only 4 and 5k OCIs. But I keep my rides from birth thru old age, junkyard retirement.

Stronger? Better film strength or supposed to last longer.

Better base stock ?

Is $2 really that big of a deal to you?

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Better base stock ?

Is $2 really that big of a deal to you?

Nope. Would never miss it, is extended worth any $ extra. Will it reduce wear under normal non extended drains of 7500 miles or is it equal to the regular ?
I see zinc and phosferous is the same.
Does EP have more real synthetic base stock ?

Last edited:
Two ways to look at it: $2 is peanuts, or with a 7500 mile oci, either oil will be fine. Both viewpoints are true...you can't go wrong with either.

The only advantage I can see with the EP HM is that it has the API Starburst so maybe it's a bit more fuel efficient. Other than that I'll just use the regular stuff. Both are mostly GTL and have higher percentages of AN AFAIK...

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Two ways to look at it: $2 is peanuts, or with a 7500 mile oci, either oil will be fine. Both viewpoints are true...you can't go wrong with either.

Maybe not
The Vanilla Mobil-1 may be shot at 7.5k. The EP may have a few thousand left in life.

There is a reason why EP sells for more money. It's a better, all-around oil. To me, I'm saving $2.... not spending extra $2 for it.
Yesterday's original Mobil-1 Vanilla is today's Mobil-1 EP.

I read somewhere the 5W-20 EP HM had a very high PAO content. Something like 80% that may mean it's VII Free and actually an SAE 20. Might work really well in engines that tend to be hard on oil.

I have check msds no Mobil 1 ep high mileage oil has more 40% poa but msds 100% correct regular ep 0w20 60-70 %poa.

Just got th mobil 1 hm and filled out the rebate form.
If I get the rebate this makes mobil 1 hm less than supertech hm

Assuming you bought it at Walmart you will get it.
At least I always have.

Apparently their purchase agreement with Walmart prohibits not paying a manufacturers rebate on oil bought there.

The Volvo in my signature used to run on 10w-30 M1 High Mileage but I decided to give the 5w-30 EP a try for cooler weather. At first I was disappointed because it was down a quart at 4000 miles. Now the oil is at 8000 miles and holding steady. I have the 10w-30 HM on hand for the next change, but I am wondering if I shouldn't just stick with the 5w-30 EP year round. 10w-30 M1 HM is my oil of choice for OPE, so it's not as if the two jugs I have will go to waste. I was doing 6K OCIs with the HM, so 8-9K OCIs on the EP should more than absorb the cost difference.

Use it (your stash) all up. You could even blend them.
Is this the first time you've stretched that old Volvo 8-9k OCI? If not, then the EP will make you proud.

Originally Posted by Gene K

Assuming you bought it at Walmart you will get it.
At least I always have.

Apparently their purchase agreement with Walmart prohibits not paying a manufacturers rebate on oil bought there.

Yes walmart. That makes it less than $13 for 5 quarts.
There is a limit of 2, 5 quarts for rebate.
I may have both my kids get 2 also for there future changes and just stock up.

Ok I was wrong its 5 off of a 5 quart jug not 10. Still a good deal

Back