Increase 91 octane fuel.

I have a ZL1 Camaro which I'm sure would love 93-94 octane but in western Colorado the best I can get is 91. How can I increase up to 92-93 without creating any issues. Thx in advance.

What is your elevation? If your above 4000 ft then 91 should be all you need if not MORE than adequate. If your at sea level, and your vehicle is modified with lets a header back exhaust and a tune for premium fuel then I can see it.

91 should be all this Camaro needs.
57.gif

Last edited:
I use Lucas in 2 of our 3 ecoBoosts time to time on long trips including towing on one of the Escapes..Also if steep climbing etc.. Not sure about GM but Ford uses 93 octane for it's HP ratings. In Ca we only get 91. Lucas raises the octane 3 full points. Noticeable difference on full throttle and heavy loads...It works in these turbo applications. Not sure in non turbo cars BTW around town all 3 ecoBoosts run fine on 87 although on full throttle you can notice a difference even with 91

91 octane in your area is equivalent to 93+ at sea level, as far as preventing pre-ignition / detonation is concerned. Many folks at sea level are stuck with 91 as their premium option, so you've got it good.

I just can't fathom why you'd need anything higher than that-- if you have performance mods that require that high octane, they likely recommend race gas only.

Easiest way to increase octane (without using ethanol which has drawbacks) is to add toluene and/or xylene (available most anywhere that sells paint solvents) to your gas. I'm sure if you do a Google search you'll find resources that will help you calculate the mixture. I used to use it on a '00 supercharged Bonneville I owned when I took it to the track so I could run a smaller pulley. It works but it gets expensive. Not something you would do on a regular basis!

ZL1 is supercharged. It makes it's own atmosphere, regardless of the altitude.

I'd first get something you can do a bit of data logging with and see if the ECM is pulling any timing. If it's not, you're golden.

If you're looking to up octane, I'd get some VP Racing HP 101 (101 octane unleaded that can be ordered in 5 gallon pails) and blend it in to your 91 until you end up with the desired octane.

Originally Posted by dbvettez061
I have a ZL1 Camaro which I'm sure would love 93-94 octane but in western Colorado the best I can get is 91. How can I increase up to 92-93 without creating any issues. Thx in advance.

As others have said, don't waste your money. What sets octane requirement is cylinder pressure just after ignition, where excessive pressure causes spontaneous ignition away from the existing flame front and before TDC. Being at high elevation reduces that pressure significantly, which is why they don't even bother offering 93 up there. Supercharging tends not to maintain pressure with elevation, either. Turbo vehicles might be able to use higher octane, but in a practical sense not so much... turbocharging (done right, the way OEMs do it) is less "octane hungry" than high static compression ratio, so even if the turbo causes the same cylinder pressure as it would at sea level, detonation is less likely.

Bottom line, you can try the snake oils... but don't expect to notice anything significant unless you use one that contains MMT... but then don't expect your O2 sensors to live long, either.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
I use Lucas in 2 of our 3 ecoBoosts time to time on long trips including towing on one of the Escapes..Also if steep climbing etc.. Not sure about GM but Ford uses 93 octane for it's HP ratings. In Ca we only get 91. Lucas raises the octane 3 full points. Noticeable difference on full throttle and heavy loads...It works in these turbo applications. Not sure in non turbo cars BTW around town all 3 ecoBoosts run fine on 87 although on full throttle you can notice a difference even with 91

IIRC: 3 points is .3 octane rating.

all that juice in a can does nothing really.. you need gallons to raise the octane.. e85 works good for example.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

Unless it is it has some form of boost control and boost is cut back at sea level it is affected by atmospheric pressure.
crazy2.gif

Bingo!

Vague labels on the package making people think it's going up by 3 when it goes up by .3

Originally Posted by Rand

all that juice in a can does nothing really.. you need gallons to raise the octane.. e85 works good for example.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

I'd first get something you can do a bit of data logging with and see if the ECM is pulling any timing. If it's not, you're golden.

If you're looking to up octane, I'd get some VP Racing HP 101 (101 octane unleaded that can be ordered in 5 gallon pails) and blend it in to your 91 until you end up with the desired octane.

Boost is likely referenced to current atmospheric pressure so additional altitude will still decrease boost.
The OP said he thinks his car "would love" higher octane which suggests it doesn't need it, he's just looking for added performance.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Bingo!

Vague labels on the package making people think it's going up by 3 when it goes up by .3

My fault for using points instead of octane rating number. Lucas when used as directed adds 30 points or 3 full numbers to the octane in the gasoline. 91 becomes 94 BTW the "vague" label states "Increases Octane Rating By 3 Full Numbers" Verified by Lucas Tech..

Originally Posted by javacontour
Bingo!

My fault for using points instead of octane rating number. Lucas when used as directed adds 30 points or 3 full numbers to the octane in the gasoline. 91 becomes 94 Verified by Lucas Tech support...

No worries, the whole octane boost market seems to be a bit shady.

How can anyone tell that their fuel is now 94 instead of 91?

I even saw one review that suggested the amount of octane boost you get depends on the condition of your car. Uhhh, no, the fuel is or isn't changed regardless the condition of your car. Perhaps the ability of the vehicle to take advantage of such changes depends on the condition of your car, but the fuel itself experiences the change in properties regardless.

It just seems to be a shady marketplace to me.

Back