Anybody Have Experience with 2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback?

Originally Posted by SrDriver
My vote would go for a used Toyota and second would be a Honda.

But you will pay a a hefty price to buy one. It's a simple Nissan with a traditional automatic and not the pile of crap we like to think of them as.
Cheap car, cheap to fix, my wife is from Brooklyn as I've said a million times and the versa is a good car for living in Brooklyn imo.

You're not gonna get a lot of Versa love on this forum. FWIW I've got a 2012 sedan with 74k on it. Bought new. It's got the CVT though. Reliability has been outstanding but they are an econobox best suited for banging around town. I personally like mine but YMMV.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
You're not gonna get a lot of Versa love on this forum. FWIW I've got a 2012 sedan with 74k on it. Bought new. It's got the CVT though. Reliability has been outstanding but they are an econobox best suited for banging around town. I personally like mine but YMMV.

Yes, I am using it for commuting and need a small car for parking. Right now I have a Smart Fortwo haha.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Yea. I have no complaints. 9 years trouble free. Definitely consider it. Good luck.

I agree. Low cost econobox that's reliable and cheap on insurance.

The Versa is basic and it will get you places. I had the misfortune being in the back of one as an Uber(when we still did that) and I drove one as a carshare and it left a little to be desired.

It's a fine car for the city.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Was looking into buying one of these 2nd hand. Car has 59k miles and 4-speed auto transmission. Anybody have any opinions?

I own a 2015 Versa 1.6 sedan w/ the 4spd AT. Decent little cheap car.

I prefer the 2012 and under hatchbacks like you describe. To me a 2011-12 is the sweet spot because they could still be had with the 4spd AT and they will have conventional rear drums, where the 2013+ are kind of a pain in the arse because the rear drums have the lug studs and wheel bearings pressed into them. I still see 2012s and under in fleet service in my area. The 4spd ATs are easy to do drain/fills on, etc.

The one plus about the 2013+ Versa sedans is they really are a comfortable car for 4 people. There is a surprising amount of room for the rear passengers.

Last edited:
Yes. State Farm charges me $60 a month. The CVT gets a bad rap but I've had no issues. Did a couple of drain and fills the last few months (2 quarts out each time) and it's nice and tight, no slips. We'll see.

Originally Posted by Miller88
With the 4 speed auto, you'll be good to go! Those were decent little cars!

The other little 4spd factoid you'll want to know with the Versii is, again, that 2011-12 will be the sweet spot. ~2013 to 2017 4spds are a potentially cheapened design. Externally, they're smaller and they did away with the dipstick on them. They do have a top mounted "charge tube" just like the CVTs, but the service manual makes no mention of it and you gotta dig for it to get to it. Checking level is done through the drain plug, which there is a riser pipe threaded up into the drain hole. The service manual tells you to fill it up through the drain plug, like Toyota style. The 4spd ended with the 2017 model year.

Last edited:
Back