Pricing used tires

Originally Posted by Kira
The pricing of tires is one great example of "helically threaded fastenering" the customer.

Boy, you can say that again!

Tires seem to depreciate RAPIDLY. I very, very, very seldom buy new tires, when i can get used ones (with still excellent tread) for usually about $50 each

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Used tires just aren't typically worth a lot. For example, at the tire shop I usually use, mounting and balancing is included in the price of new tires. If I were to bring in used tires for them to m&b for me, they would charge $20 each. Also, on the topic of treadwear, I've heard people say that since the tire they're selling has half its tread left, they should be able to get close to half of new cost. Well, maybe if the buyer wants to run it down to zero tread! Also, tire performance drops off as tread wears, so you're not getting as much for your money in the second half of the tire's life.

^This.

I see used tires priced too high all the time. The ones that are priced low seem to sell, the rest just sit around. People always say things like half tread left. But normally on a new tire, that's 10/32's of thread and it's worn out at the 2-3/32's mark. Not good for snow under 5/32 and not that great for rain under 4/32s. So at 5/32's, they're already about 75% worn out, not 50%. Then once you factor in mounting and balancing plus no road hazard warranty, they can cost more per mile left than new tires.

The best deals on used tires seem to be at used tire stores, at least they can throw in mounting and balancing in the price per tire but you still don't get anything like a road hazard, balancing or mounting at that price. Probably why I've given up and just get new tires although I look to see if there's a good deal once in a while on a set that might have 8/32's or more once in a while.

Take them to a tire shop and you'll get -$20 or so.

My co-worker had a set of Pirelli P235/40R-18 tires with ~20k miles. A tire shop offered me $5/each. I ended up getting $40 for them through Craigslist. The main goal was getting rid of them without costing him anything so at the end of the day, we'd probably have taken the $5/each offer.

Originally Posted by D1dad
If I had a way to mount and balance them myself I'd buy used.

I have all that and quit buying used for the most part. The math doesn't work out even with my labor being free.

It used to, but no longer does in my area.

Well I was able to sell the set for $300. I went through Facebook Marketplace. Went strictly through messaging to keep for dealing with tirekickers.

Even in excellent condition tires can be a really tough sell, I've always had a hard time giving away 3/4 tread examples because of the sizes I use let alone sell for cash money.

Sad part is that it can equally be hard to find treads that fit my cars but usually when I do I don't ever pay more than $50 in near new condition.

I need a BF Goodrich Traction T/A 185/60R15 and 15 inch tires are not much in demand anymore. Thought I could find one cheap. Nope. There is one on Ebay for $51 shipped. Might have to go for it if nothing local pops up.

What did these tires come off of? Like said, good condition can mean anything. Need to know the amount of tread remaining and if there's any plugs, damage to them, etc.

List them up on FB marketplace and include the make/model/year they came off of. Sometimes that helps draw in people based on their searches. All seasons will be a slow sell, if they sell at all given yours are likely 1/3 worn I'm guessing. Something like snow tires sell quick, even half worn.

I've probably bought a dozen or so used tires over the years online, FB marketplace and CL. I don't know of any tire shop that won't mount/balance a used tire or set for you but I do know some shops around me won't mount new carry in tires for you.

Maybe start with $300 or best offer? What they cost new is pretty meaningless unfortunately.

Last edited:
It took me a month to sell them. I listed 6 tires @ $300. The gentleman showed up, handed me $300, and loaded them up, no questions asked.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Used tires are too expensive no matter what amount of money the seller is asking ...

Disagree.

Around here, used winter tires can be a fantastic deal. People by a set of winter tires, run them for a winter or two, then sell the car. They then find out the old tires don't fit the new car, and sell the tires. Typical selling price is 1/3 to 1/2 of new price, depending on condition.

You do still get the occasional seller who says something like " one year old, like new, paid $ 1000 , asking only $ 900 ... " But, hey, you can ASK anything you want.

Used tires are a crap shoot. I would only purchase used tires if they were new dealer take offs. How well they were driven and maintained is not worth the potential cost savings.

People seem to think they can make money off of overpriced old junk tires with tread, instead of just giving them away, and not paying a big disposal fee to get rid of them. I make $16 every time someone takes them, plus I don't have to haul them somewhere. You could always just paint "NO HUNTING" on them and hang them on a fence post I guess.

Last edited:
Just checked the tires on the Mercedes unicorn. Looks like I will definitely need a rear tire, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 255/35R18 and probably a front 225/40R18. $95 to $75 for good used ones. Less than half of new.

I just went to inspect some tires someone was selling on Letgo. $115 for five Michelin tires that looked almost new. It would've been a great deal.
The date code was 308!!

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
It took me a month to sell them. I listed 6 tires @ $300. The gentleman showed up, handed me $300, and loaded them up, no questions asked.

Congratulations on the sale! And thanks for posting that info too. It's good to find out the final story from the OP

Back