Good filtration and good flow rate (4Runner V8)

Hey guys, I am running out of my original (made in Japan) filters for my 2005 V8 4Runner and those are not available anymore. The current Toyota filter seems to be decent but I am wondering if there are better options that provide good filtration efficiency and good flow. Are you guys using anything else or think of a filter that may be good for my use?

I am using synthetic oil (usually Amsoil Signature) and would like to do around10K OCIs. I don't drive that much anymore so that is once a year. Even if I do fewer miles, I like to change oil once a year for sure. I have a 2014 Wrangler and am using Mobil One filters there. It only has 23,000 miles and gets driven very little.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated. The 4Runner has 177,000 miles and has no leaks or oil consumption. Both vehicles see some mountain driving- steep long grades at times. The Jeep sees some offroading as well. The 4Runner is mostly highway and pavement but since it does see mountain highway driving, I like to treat it extra well as it is getting old now.

Your Toyota does not need anything special. Flow rate is not an issue.

Default correct answer: Use a Fram Ultra and forget about it.

Howdy,

Pops has always used the HP-1002 filter by K&N on his 4.7 V-8, and it is way over 200,000 miles with no issues.

HP-1002 is expensive, but also very high quality.

Carpe Diem,
Hemi Roy
01.gif

https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filters/toyota/4-runner/4.7l-v8-gas/2005

Originally Posted by HemiRoy
Howdy,

Pops has always used the HP-1002 filter by K&N on his 4.7 V-8, and it is way over 200,000 miles with no issues.

I clicked on the link and man that is one expensive filter.

Fram Ultra ($9), Tough Guard ($6), Wix or the OEM filter for less than $5 a filter is a "can't go wrong with any of these" type of deal.

For the OP, not sure the Toyota V8 would care, but I prefer the 90915-YZZD1 on our RX330.

I do not have any experience with fleets but it sounds like the vehicles with the highest miles on the clock are taxis or otherwise in a fleet. Which in turn get the cheapest bulk oil and cheapest filters. IMO it just doesn't matter. Higher end oils may tolerate longer OCI, and a better filter likewise, but at 10k or less for an OCI I just don't think it's needed.

Howdy,

Carpe Diem,
Hemi Roy
01.gif

https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filters/toyota/4-runner/4.7l-v8-gas/2005

I cannot for the life of me find any information on the efficiency rating of any K&N oil filter. I used two spin on can oil filters and one cartridge oil filter all from K&N last year and can attest to their quality.

That all being said I recommend a Fram Ultra or Fram Titanium for any spin on can oil filter application.

I would use the latest Toyota offering and never think twice. Under $4 in packs of ten. I still have some Japan Toyota from McGeorge Toyota. I was thinking they are too old now maybe I can sell them or use them up. Not sure they were actually any better but the element was sure thick.
The new ones are a very clean and well designed filter. Clean as in few particles introduced by the filter itself.

Those old Toyota ones were Denso, I think. I wish I had bought more but at the time, I did not think I would keep the vehicle this long. I never cut one open but I heard they were synthetic media and very good for longer OCIs. The K&N does look good (around $10 online) but I'll check out the ones mentioned in this thread and keep a few on hand. Thanks guys! This made me feel better since I have some great options now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8
For the OP, not sure the Toyota V8 would care, but I prefer the 90915-YZZD1 on our RX330.

To follow-up my own post, I meant the longer filter -- 90915-YZZD3 (vs the shorter YZZD1).

Here is a comparison of the two:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/861150-toyota-genuine-oil-filter-90915-yzzd1-vs-90915-yzzd3.html#:~:text=The%20Size%3A%20YZZD3%204.1%22%20height,are%20exchangeable%20like%20on%20RX330.

Assuming a clean engine not in severe service and at least 50% highway miles, for a 10k interval I would use any name-brand premium filter, not necessarily extended performance... Wix, Bosch, Motorcraft, Denso, OEM, etc. I don't like making blanket statements so I will add: consider your sump size, type of usage, operating environment, and use upgraded filters as needed. Keep in mind that many manufacturers specify 7500 or 10k mile service intervals (normal service) and don't call for any specific type of filter.

Howdy,

I clicked on the link and man that is one expensive filter.

Fram Ultra ($9), Tough Guard ($6), Wix or the OEM filter for less than $5 a filter is a "can't go wrong with any of these" type of deal.

Nothing lacking with the YZZD1 or D3 Toyota oil filter. Well made and all any Toyota product needs.DENSO

Any oil filter from Fram or Wix or Toyota oemwould be easy to find and work well. The air filter is the most important filter.

To follow-up my own post, I meant the longer filter -- 90915-YZZD3 (vs the shorter YZZD1).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/861150-toyota-genuine-oil-filter-90915-yzzd1-vs-90915-yzzd3.html#:~:text=The%20Size%3A%20YZZD3%204.1%22%20height,are%20exchangeable%20like%20on%20RX330.

YZZD3 works - used it for years.

Originally Posted by BLND1

YZZD3 works - used it for years.

Right on BL, all the oil filter you will ever need. Used them for years. Started out as Nippon-Denso(1966).

Back