JD Power Initial Quality Rankings

Originally Posted by itguy08
Interesting to see how initial quality doesn't translate into long term dependability.
[Linked Image from jdpower.com]

And HERE ---> For vehicles with some miles on them. http://www.dashboard-light.com/click-here-first/

Know how to spot a Jeep and Land Rover guy at the hospital ?

Jeep guy is in the bed with iPad
LR guy is under the bed with flashlight

Originally Posted by 02SE
I knew the internet Ford fanboy couldn't resist this topic...

crackmeup2.gif

What is your point or are you just trolling? No mention of any brand. Initial quality does not translate to long term reliability regardless of brand.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

And HERE ---> For vehicles with some miles on them. http://www.dashboard-light.com/click-here-first/

That has always been a junk "survey".... Let's look at auction vehicles and then only focus on "powertrain issues". But those issues could range from "blown engine" to "evaporative system CEL". 2 vastly different repair outcomes and cost. Both are likely to send a car to auction.

If anything Consumers Reports is the most meaningful since they (at lease used to) break the issues down to the various systems.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how initial quality doesn't translate into long term dependability.
[Linked Image from jdpower.com]

Interesting.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I have to admit, the assembly quality of my Challenger is pretty impressive, I haven't found any flaws even 2 years later.

Material quality inside my Charger leaves something to be desired, but at least it's put together reasonably well.

The sloppy paint quality on the other hand...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I have to admit, the assembly quality of my Challenger is pretty impressive, I haven't found any flaws even 2 years later.

Material quality inside my Charger leaves something to be desired, but at least it's put together reasonably well.

That I can agree on. The truck has lots of hard plastic, but it's a Tradesman and that's what I wanted. As for paint, it seems to be hit or miss. I've been lucky with paint quality though... what color is your Charger? The granite crystal on my brothers dart wasn't the best, but the truck looks great. His Charger's Go Mango has a decent case of orange peel.

Last edited:

That has always been a junk "survey".... Let's look at auction vehicles and then only focus on "powertrain issues". But those issues could range from "blown engine" to "evaporative system CEL". 2 vastly different repair outcomes and cost. Both are likely to send a car to auction.

If anything Consumers Reports is the most meaningful since they (at lease used to) break the issues down to the various systems.

This site tells you why these cars are showing up at auction. The MY, the mileage and the issues tell you a lot about the vehicle.

Originally Posted by wemay
It is unrealistic to think someone has to own every brand they comment on. That's why we have automobile publications, youtube reviews and quality surveys. But i agree many of the "critics" go overboard.

Maybe it's just me, but I never feel the need to comment on a brand that I haven't had at least some experience with. There are brands that make cars that you couldn't force me to daily drive- even at gunpoint, but I wouldn't comment on those vehicles unless I was specifically asked about them.
What I find hysterical are the trolls, the bitter, and the jealous who spew fifth-hand hearsay about a brand- and when asked for the basis of their opinion respond with "I rode in one." or "I saw a video on YouTube."
An even more moronic subset of this group are the "I will never buy a car equipped with (fill in the blank with any technology or feature developed after 1970)." experts.

That was one of the things I liked about the Grand Cherokee over my Charger, the extended leather option really upped the materials and subsequently that was one of my big disappointments with the Audi, the Jeep interior was a lot nicer.

Last edited:

This site tells you why these cars are showing up at auction. The MY, the mileage and the issues tell you a lot about the vehicle.

Does the paid portion give more insight?

For example, the free stuff here is very lacking: http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Genesis.html

What's the difference between a "Powertrain issue", "Engine Issue", and "Transmission Issue"?

The metholodgy makes little sense - "Let's take auction cars, apply some voodoo to only the powertrain and get a "quality score". Really? It may help spot trends but it's of no better value than JD Powers. If anything CR is the best since they may still report on the areas of the various systems (AC, engine, trans, body, etc).

Does the paid portion give more insight?

For example, the free stuff here is very lacking: http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Genesis.html

What's the difference between a "Powertrain issue", "Engine Issue", and "Transmission Issue"?

The metholodgy makes little sense - "Let's take auction cars, apply some voodoo to only the powertrain and get a "quality score". Really? It may help spot trends but it's of no better value than JD Powers. If anything CR is the best since they may still report on the areas of the various systems (AC, engine, trans, body, etc).

And then you come across nonsense like this on that site... At best they get generations of vehicles correct, but sometimes there is a big powertrain change in that generation which can drastically change the ratings but they don't differentiate that either.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:

If you knew how auctions operate you would know you are wrong. I contend that this is the most valid source of unbiased information about common vehicle defects that you will find. The auctions only make their full fee from auction sales that go through to completion. If there is an undisclosed defect in an auctioned vehicle that will require repairs above a certain amount (usually $500 to $1000, depending on the auction), the purchasing party can have the auction arbitrated and subsequently cancelled. The auction then loses their auction fee from the buyer, but they still charge the seller an auction fee. Yes, dealers do send many of the vehicles they receive that have problems to the auction, and yes, the auctions regularly see many of the same vehicles with the same problems. The auction's mechanics learn to know what to look for. All the more reason that their information is valid. The auctions don't care about what the makes and models are, they are completely unbiased, they just want to make money on their sales, regardless of the make and model. The fact that Dashboard-Light's information does not get really specific about the defects is irrelevant (this would be VERY hard to do without making the results overly complex), the fact that the numbers of defects are seen and documented on the specific makes and models is what is relevant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
what color is your Charger? The granite crystal on my brothers dart wasn't the best, but the truck looks great. His Charger's Go Mango has a decent case of orange peel.

Indigo blue. Orange peel is part of it. The other part is all kinds of impurities submerged in clearcoat that required lots of wet sanding.
The detailer that I hired to fix it said they see quite a lot of such paint issues on FCA cars.

The detailer that I hired to fix it said they see quite a lot of such paint issues on FCA cars.

What's ironic is that my base model, short wheel base Caravans of past the 30 years and now my base model cheapo 2013 Patriot all have/had excellent paint. Go figure! The painted plastic bumpers don't color match the body very well, but I see that quite often on numerous brands. Knock on wood, but I have been pleasantly satisfied with the lack of repairs so far on this econo car. Just have to get over the stigma some attach to having one of them, LOL!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
The biggest scam in the automotive world is Scotty.

Scotty = 100% clickbait.

The absolute worst. He kept coming up on my recommended videos since I clicked on a few here, so I blocked his channel.

Scotty = 100% clickbait.

The absolute worst. He kept coming up on my recommended videos since I clicked on a few here, so I blocked his channel.

Discredit Scotty all you want but it doesn't mean he's wrong about JD Power.

Originally Posted by Starman2112

Scotty = 100% clickbait.

Discredit Scotty all you want but it doesn't mean he's wrong about JD Power.

Doesn't mean he's right either.

Back