Bosch 3323 4500mi Civic C&P

C&P from wife's '09 Civic with 112k miles... oil change based on OMM (15% left), ~1 yr and 4500 miles (all short trips). A little more sludgy than in years past, otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.

Replaced it a Wix 57356, ST HM 5W-30 and LubroMoly Motor Oil Saver... have a bunch of LubroMoly products (valve clean, motor oil saver, MOS2 anti-friction, diesel purge) from father's closed shop. I never used the oil saver or MOS2 anti-friction.

The engine had a small leak for while, but never seen on dipstick. I suspected the inspection cover on the timing cover and I finally got around to resealing it. Scrapped off the remnants of HondaBond and resealed with Permatex Ultra Black. While at it, I replaced the v-tec solenoid block o-ring on the back of the cylinder head.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

I am shocked to see sludge on a civic with only 112k miles. My 05 accord has over twice that and I have never found sludge in the filter. Do you always follow the OMM?

It's probably not "sludge" but more like carbon from piston ring blow-by. It looks to be in the pleats too. I would see this on my winter driven vehicles - short trips and cold weather can cause those kind of deposits.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
I am shocked to see sludge on a civic with only 112k miles. My 05 accord has over twice that and I have never found sludge in the filter. Do you always follow the OMM?

I agree. My 2012 has never had deposits like that. Thanks for the C&P.

Is the used oil Supertech HM? If not, what was in it?

Once a month, take your wife's vehicle on the freeway for 10-15 miles and hammer-it 4-5 times. The Wix may trap the contaminants a little better.
Don't get a ticket.....lol

Last edited:
I use exact same filters on my daughters Acura CSX and they work great, tried Mahle OC 707 as well but Bosch seems to be built better and they are about same price.
I run ST FS HM 5w-30 oil in that car.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy

In the last few years I've followed the OLM... before that we dated, I occasionally worked on her car. And before that I don't know, besides she took it to a Valvoline service center.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is the used oil Supertech HM? If not, what was in it?

Once a month, take your wife's vehicle on the freeway for 10-15 miles and hammer-it 4-5 times. The Wix may trap the contaminants a little better.
Don't get a ticket.....lol

Supertech went in this time... last time it was whatever 5W-20 and 5W-30 I had leftovers of. Before that I used Valvoline Maxlife for a couple oil changes.

I probably should drive it... such is life, things get in the way, between projects, hobbies, etc.

Last edited:
I looked back on two prior oil changes (all OLM, ~1 yr, 5k miles) and the filters showed evidence of the black grit in the pleats. Though a bit less visible, as lately I've been wrapping the filter with a paper towel to soak up excess oil.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

squeeze the media in a vise or by clamps wrapped in paper towels - you will be able to see things better.

Back