5W-30 That Doesn't Shear

Originally Posted by john_pifer
How about Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W-30? If I remember correctly, from one of Gokhan's tables that he posted, that oil was the cheapest, most commonly-available 5W-30 that has the least viscosity modifiers and very low Noack. Also on the thicker side for a 5W-30.

Should be pretty shear-stable.

Also, there was an Amsoil 10W-30 that contains almost zero VM...

It's been re-formulated for SP so I'm not sure if it still is.

Originally Posted by buster
How about Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W-30? If I remember correctly, from one of Gokhan's tables that he posted, that oil was the cheapest, most commonly-available 5W-30 that has the least viscosity modifiers and very low Noack. Also on the thicker side for a 5W-30.

Which one?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Pennzoil Platinum lineup sure isn't anti-shear capable, when reading many UOAs. Now Gokhan states the SP GF6 Platinum has increased VIIs noticeably more, to meet MPG mandates.

All this fight against lspi, turbos, direct inject, timing chain wears, engine cleaning....etc...etc... is going to show a negative-side with engine wear.

I look for the oil producers to constantly tweak this SP / GF6 formulas for the next few years. I'm not sure the brand spanking new formulas arriving this year, will look the same in a couple more years.

+1

Btw, I pulled "shear-stable" oil ranking from Gokhan's chart based on highest viscosity HTFS (valve train, cylinders, etc.), then on highest viscosity HTHS (journal bearings, etc.). This is just a data sort to answer the OP's question - no input from me whatsoever.

I will have a Blackstone UOA on Valvoline Advanced 5w30 in a couple weeks. But I caught the sample late.... when all the oil was about finished inside my plastic oil pan. I dipped the empty Blackstone bottle and filled it.
I wonder if Blackstone will notice. That's the approx $26 question.

Which one?

The Valvoline line.

Which one?

All oils that want the SP certification.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30! It starts out at 12.2 cst at 100c, and after 7400 miles in my Corvette it finished up at 12.2 cst too. The new version (simply called ESP 5w30 without the word Formula in it) is slightly thinner, at 11.8 cst, and I am confident it'll be just as stable as the formula I'm running.

Originally Posted by Patman
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30! It starts out at 12.2 cst at 100c, and after 7400 miles in my Corvette it finished up at 12.2 cst too. The new version (simply called ESP 5w30 without the word Formula in it) is slightly thinner, at 11.8 cst, and I am confident it'll be just as stable as the formula I'm running.

Excellent results for Mobil and GM !

Really only excellent results for Mobil 1
lol.gif

How can you tell if an engine oil is "shear stable" or not, from its viscosity at drain time?

A lubricant can shear and stay in grade from evaporation losses (Noack), oxidation and contaminates.

Red Line offers incredible shear resistance. I've seen hundreds of Red Line UOA's over the years and it stays in grade better than any other oil I've seen.

Yep, gotta agree there.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
The most shear stable 5w-30's are labeled 10w-30.

Agreed, especially since the new GF-6/SP oils may be formulated a little thinner than their predecessors . I mentioned using 10W-30 early on in this thread and it went unnoticed.

I see 5w30 as a glorified 0w20 jacked up in VIIs, overpriced with OEM licences that any 10w30 SN/SN+ could pass.

edit; XW-HTHS is all you need to know. Pick your weather and the HTHS engine requirement.

Last edited:
Back