More Fuel Economy Headaches

Boris Zhmud is CTO of Applied Nano Coatings.

Boris says low-viscosity engine oil causes an increased risk of engine wear.

Conveniently, Boris has some coatings to sell you to help mitigate that risk. He is a nice guy and is only looking out for your engines, you know.

Seems to be referencing the use of low viscosity in heavy trucking mainly.

Was also thinking the same thing when I read article.. about selling/tooting his own horn..

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

Conveniently, Boris has some coatings to sell you to help mitigate that risk. He is a nice guy and is only looking out for your engines, you know.

The "thickies" will be all over this.

That is where the car engines had to go. Look at the airlines getting planes with the low fuel consumption engine and /designs. MPG is a driving force.

Car engines are using these types of coatings.coatings.

Plenty of papers and current applications in the automotive world that have already gone here. Not saying for better or for worse, but as applications have changes, so have the requirements they have to meet... No different here...

Boris Zhmud isn't unknown in the lubricant business.. I think his name was on a white paper posted here a few years ago about elektrion (similar to voltol, what the germans used in WW2 as anti-wear agent). and I remember him from other papers aswell, all lubrication related.

More metal to metal contacts...since there is less cushion with lower HTHS
smile.gif

Bore polishing....ie greather oil consumption with that
smile.gif

That are the cons I see when one wants to push FE oils in my car

Oh that. For a minute there, I thought it was my ex wife's lawyer talking in 1986.

"The children, (now 38 & 41) are subject to an increased risk of threatened verbal abuse when with their father."

Originally Posted by CT8

Car engines are using these types of coatings.coatings.

+1
Moly coating on piston skirts, nitriding of spool valves, etc.

Dear Mr Horspwer, At least, Boris is not an internet troll but a real person. It's me, actually. If you are genuinely interested in the subject, you may get copies of my papers from SAE. As to coatings, they are nowadays routinely used in engines to protect performance critical parts. Look inside a F1 engine when you have a chance. As heavy duty applications applications are concerned, I can mention induction hardened cylinder sleeves, CrN or molybdenum coated piston rings, DCL coated cam follower roller pins, Cr plated wrist pins, Clevite bearings, MnP gears, and much more. Of course, as long as you don't have a problem, there is no need to fix it.

Dear Mr Horspwer, At least, Boris is not an internet troll but a real person. It's me, actually. If you are genuinely interested in the subject, you may get copies of my papers from SAE. As to coatings, they are nowadays routinely used in engines to protect performance critical parts. Look inside a F1 engine when you have a chance. As heavy duty applications applications are concerned, I can mention induction hardened cylinder sleeves, CrN or molybdenum coated piston rings, DCL coated cam follower roller pins, Cr plated wrist pins, Clevite bearings, MnP gears, and much more. Of course, as long as you don't have a problem, there is no need to fix it.

I'd be very interested in any papers about lubrication I could have access to, actually.

The "thickies" will be all over this.
Like a fat kid on a doughnut😂

Aren't these types of coatings the ones Ford/Bosch used to fix the problems in the CP4 pump?

WRT the heavy duty market. Those guys use the equipment much longer and much harder than the average commuter car. I can see where a whole system approach is best and if coatings are a part of that then I think they should be used. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Back