Any other CX-9 owners here?

I've gotta say, two weeks into the ownership of this vehicle, I'm loving it more and more every time I drive it. It's an absolute joy to drive. It rides nice, it's quiet, has plenty of power, especially low end grunt, has plenty of interior space, and the build quality seems impeccable. The dash layout looks like it belongs in a much more expensive vehicle, all of the controls are simple to use, and it's easy to figure out how everything operates simply by using. My only disappointment is that I didn't consider this vehicle sooner! IMO, Mazda is building some of the best vehicles made right now. The build quality of this vehicle is much better than that of the Toyota Sienna we traded for it...

I looked at one and it was inexpensive and well made but can't tow much so I passed on it.
I think for a commuter vehicle you get way more than you pay for-no doubt.

Thank the turbo for the low end grunt, as you say. The non-turbo 2.5 is a dog in the heavier vehicles.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Nice looking cars but I'd personally like one in Non-Turbo and a V-6.

They don't make them like that anymore.

I had a 2012 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.5 (non turbo). Sold it at around 60,000 miles and had no issues with it. Great cars for sure. Only problem/concern is the engine has to be lifted up a bit to get to the water pump. Potential expensive long-term ownership cost.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I know and I'm not about to buy a car with engineered in LSPI. With the oh you can fix it with this oil BS!

I know and I'm not about to buy a car with engineered in LSPI. With the oh you can fix it with this oil BS!

What's LSPI?

Low Speed Pre Ignition.

We used to call it knocking. They have a fancy name for it now. The Mazda SkyActiv engines are not noted for this so don't worry.

The Mazda CX-7 was available with a turbocharged 2.3 l engine that was prone to LSPI. I'm not aware of any problems with the newer (SkyActiv) engines.

The 3.5 and 3.7 l V6 engines used in the previous-gen CX-9 were problematic; they are mounted transversely, and to make them fit the designers moved the water pump inboard, driven by the timing chain. When these pumps leak, the coolant can go right into the oil, ruining the engine quickly. This is also a problem with the Fords which use the same engine. Again, it's only the transversely mounted engines that are the problem - the N-S engines used in some Fords have enough clearance that the WP is mounted on the outside of the engine per usual practice. Given the record of catastrophic failures with the 3.5 and 3.7, I would only consider a CX-9 with the turbocharged 2.5.

Originally Posted by Number_35

The Mazda CX-7 was available with a turbocharged 2.3 l engine that was prone to LSPI. I'm not aware of any problems with the newer (SkyActiv) engines.

The 3.5 and 3.7 l V6 engines used in the previous-gen CX-9 were problematic; they are mounted transversely, and to make them fit the designers moved the water pump inboard, driven by the timing chain. When these pumps leak, the coolant can go right into the oil, ruining the engine quickly. This is also a problem with the Fords which use the same engine. Again, it's only the transversely mounted engines that are the problem - the N-S engines used in some Fords have enough clearance that the WP is mounted on the outside of the engine per usual practice. Given the record of catastrophic failures with the 3.5 and 3.7, I would only consider a CX-9 with the turbocharged 2.5.

Only the older CX9 had that Ford V6. The switch was 2016 I think as Mazda went totally SkyActiv with that model line. It was the last model to switch over I think.

One of the most inefficient engines in its class. It was FORD.

The 3.5 Ford engine would've kept me away from the CX-9. That's the same engine Ford used in its Edge, with the internal water pump that had a very high failure rate. I have not heard anything bad about the 2.5 turbo engines...

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Grampi, I thought your next vehicle purchase was to be a Corvette?

Next play toy purchase. The wife and I both disliked our minivan and wanted something else. We were in a good financial position with the van so we traded. The Vette is coming late summer/early fall...

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Do you still have the 04 Corolla with 350k on it? Haven't heard much about it lately.

Yes, but now it has over 410K...still driving it almost daily...

It appears the CX-9 is not a very common model, by that I mean there doesn't seem to be many of them on the road. I have seen very few since we bought ours. There also doesn't seem to be very many owners in this forum either. That's okay, I like driving something that you don't see a million of every time I go somewhere...

Originally Posted by grampi
It appears the CX-9 is not a very common model, by that I mean there doesn't seem to be many of them on the road. I have seen very few since we bought ours. There also doesn't seem to be very many owners in this forum either. That's okay, I like driving something that you don't see a million of every time I go somewhere...

It depends on the region. I cannot drive a mile without seeing a newer Mazda. Mostly CX5 but I do see CX9 as well. A few other models are around. I would say the CX9 is the number 2 most spotted Mazda here.

Back