GMC Sierra Tires

Looking for real world experiences with replacement tires for my 2017 GMC Sierra Crew. This truck is our main travel vehicle so quiet is a must. I do tow a 4,000 lb boat several times a year so avoiding a weak/mushy sidewall is important. Tire size is 275/55-R20. It came with Goodyear tires from factory and they became noisy around 30,000 miles. Listened to them another 9k so it's time for new. Recommendations are appreciated.

I'll throw this out there before the Michelin haters
lol.gif
show up.
premium options:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Continental Terrain Contact H/T

budget option
FalkenWildpeak H/T HT02

other options
General Grabber HTS60
Toyo Tire Open Country H/T II

snowflake/mountain rated for winter (not sure how much snow you get.. guessing very little)
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

I hate 275/55/20s. We got rid of those on my son's 1500 at 6,000 miles and put on 265/60/20 E rated LT tires. Now he has a second set of wheels for winter with 275/6020 Nitto EXOs.
275/60/20 is the stock tire size for 2019 and newer 1500s. If you want something with a stiff sidewall, look for an E rated tire with a 3 ply side wall. Expect about double the tread life over SL tires.
You might find a set of 265/60/20 take-offs almost free from a 2500 HD.

Edit; Michelin tires are OK on a logging truck, anything smaller.. not so much.

Last edited:
I would take a look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Have the tires on our RX330 and Grand Cherokee. Really pleased with the tire for all-seasons.

All great suggestions. Never purchased Michelins. Have owned Bridgestone (60k miles), Continentals (45k miles), and Coopers (50k miles). All were quiet but wasn't towing a boat with those trucks. As mentioned originally the Goodyears came as standard equipment on the truck and they are noisy and will be a short tread wear life. Quiet, towing stability, and wet traction (Boat launch) are the criteria for the replacement tires. No plans to be off pavement at any time so all terrain tread tires aren't necessary. Thanks all. Keep commenting here...

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
All great suggestions. Never purchased Michelins. Have owned Bridgestone (60k miles), Continentals (45k miles), and Coopers (50k miles). All were quiet but wasn't towing a boat with those trucks. As mentioned originally the Goodyears came as standard equipment on the truck and they are noisy and will be a short tread wear life. Quiet, towing stability, and wet traction (Boat launch) are the criteria for the replacement tires. No plans to be off pavement at any time so all terrain tread tires aren't necessary. Thanks all. Keep commenting here...

I have towed a 30' boat several times as well as many thousands of miles of towing our current 25' bow-rider, and have never had a slip or complaint when launching or retrieving with the tires I am suggested. I don't even have to use 4wd with the bow-rider. They are XL rated, and do a wonderful job towing.

My only complaint would be when I take my truck off-road. They are very stiff, and don't offer a very supple ride, even when aired down.

ok, wow...just went and checked receipts...
I got them in 2017 and have about 35K miles on them. They just measured 8/32"...both front and rear nearly all the way across. I rotate once a year when I do my oil change.

Last edited:
Goodyear what's are becoming noisy? As in which specific Goodyear tire are talking about?

How are the tires wearing, and is that the cause of the noise?

Lots of recommendations on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires (and some detractors too) that are in line with your requirements.

I'm running the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar tires, and find them to be very quiet and have worn very well for me. (I will grant I have LT tires, Load Range C, in my application on my F150). I also note off road is not an requirement for you either.

Last edited:
I'd probably get Cooper Discoverer SRX for it. H rated means it has a full cap ply which makes it safer and able to handle heat better; no tread separation issues to worry about, 117 load rating, both traction and heat ratings are A, made in the USA, good reviews on the Tire Rack.

[Linked Image]

As a someone who tows as well-any tire with an "XL"rating will be fine. I have the same Goodyear LS Tires on my 218 Silverado. They are absolute garbage. The OP is right-as they wear they become noisy. This is my second SIlverado that I bought with these awful tires.

Here are a couple of tires that are excellent-and will save you several dollars over what is mentioned above-

(Nexen Tires)

Roadian HP

Roadian AT Pro RA8

I have had both on SIlverados. (275/55/20)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
I'll throw this out there before the Michelin haters
lol.gif
show up.
premium options:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Continental Terrain Contact H/T

budget option
FalkenWildpeak H/T HT02

other options
General Grabber HTS60
Toyo Tire Open Country H/T II

snowflake/mountain rated for winter (not sure how much snow you get.. guessing very little)
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

I've read more than one review online stating that their Yokohama Geolandar A/T was quieter than their previous Defender LTX M/S.
It seems to be an excellent "street" A/T tire.

If it was me and I towed with a 1/2 ton truck, I'd look at an extra load or an LT-metric tire for some extra load margin. I've been recommending the Michelin Defender LTX(X LT A/S at Costco), Firestone Destination series or the General Grabber HTS/ATx/AT2 for friends with trucks.

I'll second that. Because of winter conditions up here in The Great White North, a lot of guys use Goodyear Duratrac, Toyo CTs, Nitto EXO and the like. All E rated on 150s and 1500s. The horror.

Fortunately our winters are mild. Maybe one snow and then it's gone in a few days. The highway treads are probably the route I'll take. Quiet is definitely a requirement.

Back