VOA - Kendall GT-1 Max SN+ 0W-20

VOA of the subject oil performed by Polaris Labs in Houston.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Is that right.... maybe it's a typo....... Titanium 87?

Nice. One of my favorite Dexos brands now.

No typo; Kendall uses titanium in its add pack.

I'm used to 30-40 Titanium...ie... Castrol Edge.
There are so many very good SN+ oils today. Members are reporting 300k with Warren's Supertech Syn. We have another member who's route truck is near 400k using Pep Boys oil and Pep Boys filters.

It's not the oil-blame anymore. It's how you drive - when you change that oil and how often you check the dipstick mark.

I'm used to 30-40 Titanium...ie... Castrol Edge.
There are so many very good SN+ oils today. Members are reporting 300k with Warren's Supertech Syn. We have another member who's route truck is near 400k using Pep Boys oil and Pep Boys filters.

It's not the oil-blame anymore. It's how you drive - when you change that oil and how often you check the dipstick mark.

01.gif

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I actually think this oil is generally very underrated. You can find it at a very cheap price and it looks like it's really quite good.

I agree; I am almost out of my stash of Castrol Edge so I switched early to Kendall. The remaining Edge will go into my Explorer. The specifications on the Kendall look pretty good.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I actually think this oil is generally very underrated. You can find it at a very cheap price and it looks like it's really quite good.

I agree; I am almost out of my stash of Castrol Edge so I switched early to Kendall. The remaining Edge will go into my Explorer. The specifications on the Kendall look pretty good.

Best part is that you can find Kendall for almost Supertech prices. It's cheap. Probably just due to a lower level of brand recognition. I dont think the base oil is anything special, but compare this to say, black bottle Castrol, and the Kendall makes a lot of sense.

Toto
I'm guessing the Amsoil SS was at least double-the price - that you paid for Kendall.
I wonder if you'll have to adjust the OCI length... in-exchange.

I also wonder if the SP Motorcraft full synthetic, is going to be relatively the same as SP Kendall Synthetic. I expect Walmart to be carrying the full syn Motorcraft once again. I know they discontinued it in the brick & mortars a while back. But that may change now.

Toto
I'm guessing the Amsoil SS was at least double-the price - that you paid for Kendall.
I wonder if you'll have to adjust the OCI length... in-exchange.

I also wonder if the SP Motorcraft full synthetic, is going to be relatively the same as SP Kendall Synthetic. I expect Walmart to be carrying the full syn Motorcraft once again. I know they discontinued it in the brick & mortars a while back. But that may change now.

The AMSOIL SS was $10.00 per quart at PC price (about $17.00 annual for PC) free shipping as order was over $100.00, I use it in my 1998 Dakota V8 5.2L motor with 103k, that motor likes the SS! The SS has very slight leakage, much less than any oil I've ever put in that motor, the 0W-20 is for the Dart and Renegade both 2.4L motors after the warranty I may such them to
0W-20 SS with an AMSOIL Filter, I was using OE but I get such a good deal on Kendall its hard to pass up, I do like the convenience of AMSOIL, no driving or concern about shopping for it has its reward.

Thanks for the getting the analysis done and posting it! I have used Kendall in the past. Just about any new oil today is a good choice for any OEM oil change interval. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST MOTOR OIL ON EARTH BUT IT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE FILTER YOU USE. I have seen folks spend extra on full synthetic oil because they want the "best" for their vehicle and buy some POS filter. Kendall is a solid oil, I am a huge fan of titanium additive. Stay safe!

Originally Posted by The_Captain
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST MOTOR OIL ON EARTH BUT IT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE FILTER YOU USE. I have seen folks spend extra on full synthetic oil because they want the "best" for their vehicle and buy some POS filter. Kendall is a solid oil, I am a huge fan of titanium additive. Stay safe!

Flow rates and bypass setting of your vehicle must be known, when changing from OEM. Sometimes the POS work better in these situations. If it were all about the highest efficiency of trapping, then every new vehicle coming out of factories would be wearing a Fram Ultra or equivalent.

There are reasons they don't all wear it and it has absolutely nothing to do with raising the price of that new vehicle by $10. Some vehicles and their oil, just don't operate best with the most expensive - best ingredients oil filter. Case-in-point: GFram Ultras were headaches for many GM models and Korean models for years. Bypass and flow settings needed to be changed.... either at the vehicle factory, or the Fram factory.

The best oil filter for our vehicle, could turn out to be inexpensively priced and mediocre construction. Like oil, it's how long to use it, before changing it. It's not always about "it's junk, unless it can go three OCIs or 20K".

Money spent is not always the best answer.

I just ordered 24 quarts of this for my Tundra. I know you can find it cheaper but at $3.90/quart and not having to drive or waste any time for under $100, I should get three OCs for the Tundra. I always liked Kendall and I used it in the past in a Mazda3 that I ran pretty hard with good results.

On a side note, I was looking at the Phillips66 website for SDSs and noticed they also make Honda/Acura's oil. Not sure I knew that before last night.

Last edited:
Flow rates and bypass setting of your vehicle must be known, when changing from OEM. Sometimes the POS work better in these situations. If it were all about the highest efficiency of trapping, then every new vehicle coming out of factories would be wearing a Fram Ultra or equivalent. There are reasons they don't all wear it and it has absolutely nothing to do with raising the price of that new vehicle by $10.

Some vehicles and their oil, just don't operate best with the most expensive - best ingredients oil filter. Case-in-point: GFram Ultras were headaches for many GM models and Korean models for years. Bypass and flow settings needed to be changed.... either at the vehicle factory, or the Fram factory. The best oil filter for our vehicle, could turn out to be inexpensively priced and mediocre construction. Like oil, it's how long to use it, before changing it. It's not always about "it's junk, unless it can go three OCIs or 20K".Money spent is not always the best answer.
Definitely OT, but what does any of that even mean? Are you suggesting that a lower efficiency filter is better than a higher one? What tangible examples exist to support that theory? By and large, the major manufactures of filters perform enough research to ensure their products meet the OEM specifications and will operate as well if not better than the OEM. Obviously, there can and sometimes are exceptions to the rule, but I do not recall ever seeing an example of when a higher efficiency filter caused problems or performed at a level below a lesser efficient one.

Honda O.E.M. has been Phillips for many years . The HG synthetics and semi-synthetics . Conventional , not sure .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Looks like a pretty generic oil to me.

It's nothing fancy...then again it doesn't need to be.

Back