rock auto and others

If Rock Auto and Geek auto parts are cheap, then why do the Auto Zones and such not match them on pricing,,,hmmm

Buying your autoparts at brick and mortar stores might become a thing of the past,imho..

It all depends on what the customer needs.

If you've gotta fix something absolutely today so you can make it to work tomorrow, then RockAuto and the like isn't an option. And there will always be a market segment that is in this circumstance.

If you can be planful and/or own a second vehicle to get around in then low cost internet parts can be a big savings.

I think the predicted demise of brick and mortar auto parts stores has been greatly exaggerated. There will likely continue to be consolidation within the industry and the independents will continue to be squeezed out. But my opinion is that the AZ's, AAP's, and O'Reilly's of the world aren't going away any time soon.

Reactions: JC1
They are mostly catering to the local auto repair shops around here. Free delivery, and special pricing based on last month's volume. We had several accounts at different stores (because not all the stores stock the same stuff), but they all went to a different pricing model to "reward" their loyal business customers (and it does make sense). They would match online pricing IF you had a good relationship with them.

Also, most local auto repair shops are using purchase orders and putting bunches of parts on order with one PO, and the customer's car is in the "wait" area, so time to delivery isn't quite as high priority as to a DIY guy who is currently not running because of a specific part. Having said that, some repairs need common parts, and that is what these brick and mortar stores do best - Batteries, hoses, oil, filters, brake parts, fluids, etc.

So, they fill the right need for local auto shop (which is the higher volume, higher total profit, constant business) and make more money in the long run this way. That's why there are so many of them and they are everywhere. If there wasn't money to be made, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

In the long run, the business model they are using may have to change if the local repair shops start to "dry up", because then their base of business will be moving away from them.

I believe the current business model makes the most sense for the brick and mortar stores as the DIY market is dying due to manufacturer's making it harder and harder to repair your own vehicle, and most vehicles now need very minimal maintenance anyway. Shoot, the newer electric cars (Tesla) need almost no maintenance at all - so the brick and mortar stores are reading the writing on the wall and moving their business to the "guaranteed" business of the local shops and away from the "walk-in'" coming in from the street.

When a car is on a lift waiting for a part no money is being made. Unless they are ordering to keep common parts in stock, I am not sure when a shop would order from RA.

RA and their whole shipping policy annoys me. I always look on Amazon in addition to RA.

I cant wait 3 days for a part when I have a family in my waiting room from out of town on their trip. Also the local paces cant match online prices. Their system will not let them sell at a loss.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
...then why do the Auto Zones and such not match them on pricing,,,hmmm

Buying your autoparts at brick and mortar stores might become a thing of the past,imho..

The Autozone between my work and home is always busy. People need to realize, not everyone shops online. Or, as has been pointed out, someone has a broken-down vehicle and needs it repaired now, not wait 2-3 days for parts to arrive before they can start working.

Its not about price but more about availability today. I use Napa, Autopart International, a couple of old school private stores who still have quality parts, junk yards that deliver, dealers but never AA, AZ or O'Reilly unless they are the only ones that have it and I need it now.
For stuff that can ordered beforehand then sure online eg fuel pump online $400 dealer over 700 same Bosch brand and number and warranty, no brainer.

I wish AZ had more knowledgeable employees, or at least ones that had a clue about cars. I called last weekend to ask if they did the free rental on wiper arm pullers....the lady asked if I wanted to do contactless pickup, I said sure. Asked again if they had a wiper arm puller ready for pickup. She said so you need the whole wiper arm or do you just want us to change the blade. Told her to never mind, found a youtube video on how to remove without the tool. That didn't work for me, watched 3 more youtube videos, still didn't work. Started looking around the garage for something that would get that darn wiper arm off (doubt it has been off since the car was new in 2007). Turns out a basin wrench works darn near perfectly if you have the space under the arm to position the head of the wrench.

All and all , I have been satisfied with RA .

As has been said , if I need the part today or tomorrow , I shop on line , locally between O'Reilly , AZ , AAP & NAPA . Pick it up at the cheapest .

I am a AAP Speed Perks member . I get discount codes from them . Compare the out the door price with RA .

Tried to order from RA a couple weeks ago and found they no longer sell in my area due to taxes. I'm in a municipality they don't collect taxes for and therefore are not allowed to sell in. Boo...

Originally Posted by Trav
...a couple of old school private stores who still have quality parts...

The average person doesn't even know these places exist and mainly because they don't sell to retail customers, but yeah, they're definitely out there. Some will sell to any Joe off the street but you'd better tell them pretty specifically what you need 'cause they aren't going to give auto repair advice to people (and I understand that too) !

Originally Posted by TMoto
Tried to order from RA a couple weeks ago and found they no longer sell in my area due to taxes. I'm in a municipality they don't collect taxes for and therefore are not allowed to sell in. Boo...

They're allowed to, they just choose not to. My understanding is municipalities in CO collect sales tax individually, which means RA or other online resellers have to track sales tax (easy) but then have to make individual payments (no matter how small) to each one. Most states, I think, and I can use Ohio as an example, will collect the local sales taxes and distribute them down to the municipalities so resellers only have to send one check per time period.

My experiences with Rock Auto have been hit and miss. I'll check RA almost every time I order parts, but they are rarely the best price when the final price is calculated after shipping. I do like their selection. But they offer nothing extra as far as customer service, so no motivation to buy from them

I tried to buy an AC condenser from RA. They couldn't figure out how to package it good enough to prevent shipping damage. Twice. Their customer service contact left me feeling like they felt it was my fault. I ended up buying one from NAPA. Cost me an extra $20, but I had it the next day, damage free.

For my E350, I've had much better success with online stores that specialize in European auto parts, such as FCP, AutohausAZ and such. They provide OEM parts, or at least OEM manufacturer, for prices that are competitive with what RA wants for aftermarket parts. These other places blow RA out of the water on customer service, with lifetime warranty on ALL parts.

I still frequent AZ and NAPA. Get a lot of my fluids from AZ, and filters from NAPA.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The average person doesn't even know these places exist and mainly because they don't sell to retail customers, but yeah, they're definitely out there. Some will sell to any Joe off the street but you'd better tell them pretty specifically what you need 'cause they aren't going to give auto repair advice to people (and I understand that too) !

My favorite one still has stools and ashtrays, the geezer still uses books when he can and chomps a stogie. You wouldn't believe what this geezer has for parts, some real classic NOS stuff.

Been through this before most common defense I get is "We have it now" or "Your paying extra for the warranty/return"

Naaaaaa bud ill take my chances and save 50-75% over your mark up prices lol

To get idea how good these parts stores are doing Look at Auto zone/o'reullys stock shares !!! $400

As for Rock Auto, I ONLY use them if I really need to. Still not happy with VERY RUDE customer "NO" service I received on phone a few years ago
smirk2.gif

Dave

My favorite one still has stools and ashtrays, the geezer still uses books when he can and chomps a stogie. You wouldn't believe what this geezer has for parts, some real classic NOS stuff.

Those stores closed here 30+ years ago.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Those stores closed here 30+ years ago.

They're still around here but most are no longer independent. Many were bought up by KOI Auto Parts which was then bought by Federated (or the other way around).

There are 2 like that within 20 miles, few and far between and unknown by most. There are some old time junk yards that have some really cool old stuff that was removed from the cars 30-40 years ago without going into too many details there a couple of elephants out of the cars stored with original transmissions up there.
No I wont tell.
lol.gif

Back