JD Power Initial Quality Rankings

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Pretty interesting to see Dodge on top. I have to admit, the assembly quality of my Challenger is pretty impressive, I haven't found any flaws even 2 years later.

[Linked Image from cdn.arstechnica.net]

I've been saying that since they got out from under Daimler they've been doing better
coffee2.gif
Hard to go wrong with older platforms that are are incredibly well tweaked at this point.

Last edited:
That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years. FCA still struggles with long term reliability. Maybe they'll improve, but I won't be holding my breath. Cheers.

I found a loose nut on the intake manifold bracket of my 2020 Ram. Other than that, the truck was assembled perfectly.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by The Critic
I found a loose nut on the intake manifold bracket of my 2020 Ram. Other than that, the truck was assembled perfectly.

[Linked Image]

Yikes!

Originally Posted by Starman2112

I'd take anything said by someone who used and defended the use of compression fittings on brake lines with a massive truckload of salt.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years.

I never understand this line of thinking.

IQS is incredibly important, even if you're keeping the vehicle until it rots back to the earth.

A chime that obscenely loud? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A driver seat that is uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
An airbag system that thinks someone is in the passenger seat every time I set my work bag there and chimes (did I mention the chime is too loud)? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A collision alert system that auto-brakes every time I pull into my subdivision because it thinks I'm going to run into the neighborhood sign in the median? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!

These aren't problems or faults in the vehicle, they're just characteristics. Everything is working fine and nothing is broke, but they're all items that may give pause to someone looking to purchase a vehicle that they may not otherwise notice on a 30 minute test drive.

If anything, IQS items are just as important as long-term reliability, especially if you're going to keep the vehicle for years. I can fix a noisy wheel bearing in a couple hours. I can't fix an uncomfortable that's a result of how it's designed.

Of course it is. If I see poor fit and finish on the lot … that's the starting point of ownership ?
BTW … one of the things Tesla had to work on.

I have to agree with Scotty on this one. I don't trust JD Power AT ALL! They are 100% paid by the companies that use their name for advertising purposes. They are not independent and unbiased. Initial Quality? What does that even mean? Think about it.
Elon must be feuding with them
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years.

I never understand this line of thinking.

IQS is incredibly important, even if you're keeping the vehicle until it rots back to the earth.

A chime that obscenely loud? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A driver seat that is uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
An airbag system that thinks someone is in the passenger seat every time I set my work bag there and chimes (did I mention the chime is too loud)? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A collision alert system that auto-brakes every time I pull into my subdivision because it thinks I'm going to run into the neighborhood sign in the median? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!

These aren't problems or faults in the vehicle, they're just characteristics. Everything is working fine and nothing is broke, but they're all items that may give pause to someone looking to purchase a vehicle that they may not otherwise notice on a 30 minute test drive.

If anything, IQS items are just as important as long-term reliability, especially if you're going to keep the vehicle for years. I can fix a noisy wheel bearing in a couple hours. I can't fix an uncomfortable that's a result of how it's designed.

You don't understand it because you don't understand the difference between long term reliability and problems using an infotainment system. If you actually dig into the IQS, you'll see that even JDPower states the most "problematic" category is the infotainment systems in modern cars. A lot of that is the customer's lack of knowledge and prowess. Even so, I'd rather have a car/truck that has an infotainment system that annoys me a little than have to replace an engine or transmission on my dime.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-initial-quality-study-iqs

Cue the Dodge/Chrysler commercials up now....shadowy car in a dark room....booming voice says.."wanna know what car company beats Lexus in quality...is it Toyota, Honda, BMW?....NO! its Dodge! That's right! Dodge. Right now our cars are so good they want ever have to go the shop or change oil"

All the while Toyota/Lexus owners are LOL'ng out loud

Probably never buying a new car again to initial quality doesn't mean much to me.

12-15 year old corolllas are still snapped up on CL; the used market and how cars do there precipitates the quality from the solution of nonsense marketed to the public.

I guess IQS gives you some measure of quality. I feel like it changes so often I'm not that confident in it.

The CX-30 I have that was built in February of 2020 has been solid but did have two minor issues - front caliper bolts weren't properly torqued. I also randomly noticed that the bolt that holds the passenger side rear brake light was loose. Other than that, no issues so far.

For quality, I try and look for proven powertrains more than anything else. Usually engines that have been on the market for quite some time you can get an idea of how well they hold up.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I'd take anything said by someone who used and defended the use of compression fittings on brake lines with a massive truckload of salt.

As I always say, when I see Kilmer it reminds me that somewhere, a village is missing its idiot.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Cue the Dodge/Chrysler commercials up now....shadowy car in a dark room....booming voice says.."wanna know what car company beats Lexus in quality...is it Toyota, Honda, BMW?....NO! its Dodge! That's right! Dodge. Right now our cars are so good they want ever have to go the shop or change oil"

All the while Toyota/Lexus owners are LOL'ng out loud

To be fair, most Dodge models were introduced when George W Bush was president and haven't been changed much since.

I hope they've worked out the kinks by now.

Back