2016 Avalon

Was in need of a car/truck/suv. Found a 2016 Avalon XLE with 50,000 miles for $15,000.

Really didn't "want" an Avalon...had my eye on a few things...Lexus GS350, Lexus ES350...a few SUV's (Cherokee, Explorer).

I ended up buying the Avalon. Didn't want to, but when I drove it, it kind of blew me away. Surprised at how roomy it is. Drove the GS350 last week and it was tight in that thing. Wasn't really blown away by that thing (although the interior is totally amazing).

Anyway, anyone own one of these things? Seats aren't all that comfortable...discovered that on my one hour drive home. Looking to get some sort of cushion or something.

Anyone done a transmission service on one of these things? Do you bother dropping the pan and changing the filter? And, are you doing 5,000 mile oil changes or Toyota's recommended 10,000?

Any issues? One thing I've already discovered - the car is not direct injected (which I like). I read that in 2016 they went to direct injection but that is not the case.

Last edited:
That's a great car.

Helped my MIL buy a 2016 Avalon as a new car. Just a well done car all around.

I think you'll be very pleased with it.

She only put 17,000 miles on it before its untimely demise, so, never even considered maintenance...

Originally Posted by Astro14
That's a great car.

Helped my MIL buy a 2016 Avalon as a new car. Just a well done car all around.

I think you'll be very pleased with it.

She only put 17,000 miles on it before its untimely demise, so, never even considered maintenance...

I was quite honestly shocked at how well it drove...smooth, quiet, nice power, excellent fuel economy.

I'm two years removed from owning a Lexus LS460, I expected the Avalon to be quite a step down, it really doesn't feel that way. And I'm looking forward to not having to spend $500 for every little part that goes wrong.

That's a nice ride and you got it at a good price, especially if it has a maintenance history and is accident free. The auto reviews do pan the front seat comfort on that model, which I considered before buying my Camry XLE in January.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Anyway, anyone own one of these things? Seats aren't all that comfortable...discovered that on my one hour drive home. Looking to get some sort of cushion or something.

I've heard good things about Purple cushions. I considered getting one for my office but I just bought a better chair instead.

https://purple.com/seat-cushions/car

The Avalon is the best kept secret in the family sedan business. It's an ES350 in Toyota clothing.
I understand 350K is the norm with regular service.

I would service the transmission and filter.
Enjoy your beautiful Avalon!

Those are nice rides and that powertrain has had all of the kinks ironed out by 2016.

What happened to your Silverado?

My aunt has a 16' Avalon that she bought new, 58k miles now.

Yeah the seats aren't the best. The bottom feels like there's a lump in it.

The only issue here has is after heavy acceleration it smells like sulfur really bad, probably the catalytic converter. Need to take it to the dealer.

That car was over $30k when new. My girlfriend bought a new 15. 40k miles and no problems except for a recent recall on an airbag sensor issue. They had to take out the center consul to replace it. Might want to check your for recalls.

Any issues? One thing I've already discovered - the car is not direct injected (which I like). I read that in 2016 they went to direct injection but that is not the case.

What's wrong with the DI on Toyota products?
IIRC, they have the dual setup, so there's nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I'm guessing the same thing that happened to my Sierra, issues with the 8 speed.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Those are nice rides and that powertrain has had all of the kinks ironed out by 2016.

Either the injectors or the torque converter was going on it...only 50,000 miles.

It was shuttering when going up an incline on the highway. Honestly liked that truck...totally babied it, took great care of it. I actually did 2 tranny services before I hit 50,000 miles.

starter also went out at 35,000 miles, had to get it towed from my driveway.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

What's wrong with the DI on Toyota products?
IIRC, they have the dual setup, so there's nothing to worry about.

I should have been more specific, I really think Toyota's duel system is excellent...although I think any direct injection system is hard on oil.

Originally Posted by glock19

I've heard good things about Purple cushions. I considered getting one for my office but I just bought a better chair instead.

https://purple.com/seat-cushions/car

Excellent, thanks. I'm coming off a truck and one thing about driving a truck...it's comfortable over long distances because (I think) the size and softness of the seats. I was able to move all around and allow my legs to kind of stretch out.

Read good things about the purple cushion, and it looks like you put it in some sort of carrier case. Might give it a try.

I have one of these in my family, great cars! They are amazingly smooth and soak up the road on long trips.

That is also my only complaint though, the seats. The are too hard and flat and the bottom pad is too short for my liking. I'm not sure why Toyota designs their seats that way. Our 15 Rav 4 also has short, flat, hard seats. A buddy of mine has a newer Tacoma that the seats suck in also.

I use a memory foam seat pad for long trips in our Rav. You can find them on Amazon for under $40.

One note about the trans, no dipstick but you can service it. Fluid is measured at a certain temp and has a overflow tube in the drain plug it'll run out of for the correct level. Some good Youtube vids on it.

Last edited:
Back