Jeep GC 2018? Differential and Transfer Case interval?

Greetings, I was wondering when should I replace the front, rear axle, and transfer case fluid on my Jeep 2018 GC Laredo 3.6L? The manual mentions inspecting every 20,000 miles (32,000 KM) but not when to replace it? I live in a very hot environment 55C in summer, but my driving routine is always in Highways, City at normal speeds and I don't go hard on the car, I only went once on a trip 1,864 miles (3000 KM) and that's it.

Also, they mention that the transfer case fluid should be replaced at 120,000 Miles (192,000 KM). Which seems very long.

Currently, I have 26,000 Miles (43,000 KM) in my jeep should I wait more or change the fluids?

Check the manual pictures below:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did the first transfer case fluid change on my 08 Liberty @ 25K miles. Having said that, I'd be changing it if I were you. Transfer cases, transmissions, and differentials shed some break in metals, an early change will get it out.
27.gif

OT- I like their OCI for Severe Duty use.

Yes, using the early change idea is reasonable. Not sure if your units have magnetic plugs in the front diff and transfer case but if so, photograph them so you can show us the amount of metal particles and then clean them up. Always make sure you can get the fill plugs out before you pull the drain plugs.

For the rear diff the same idea applies but of course is more work if there is no drain plug. Again, make sure you can get the top plug out. Rear diffs typically have a removable magnet at the bottom below the gears. ( depends on the make and year). Honestly, changing fluid in front diffs and transfer cases is not much more work than motor oil changes if you can fit underneath the vehicle.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Unless you are in 4wd, the front diff and transfer case are not under any load. The rear diff is always working. Unless you use 4wd a lot, or the axles get submerged fording water, there's not a lot to worry about. Unless you want to go overboard like a lot of us here, I'd probably change and clean out the rear diff every 30 to 50k miles. I have a 07 Nitro, and there is always a fine metal coating in the rear diff. The bottom of the pumpkin may also be magnetized to catch shavings. Just open it up and wipe it out.

Originally Posted by cbear
Unless you are in 4wd, the front diff and transfer case are not under any load. The rear diff is always working. Unless you use 4wd a lot, or the axles get submerged fording water, there's not a lot to worry about. Unless you want to go overboard like a lot of us here, I'd probably change and clean out the rear diff every 30 to 50k miles. I have a 07 Nitro, and there is always a fine metal coating in the rear diff. The bottom of the pumpkin may also be magnetized to catch shavings. Just open it up and wipe it out.

Quadra-Trac I is always driving all 4 wheels, 48/52 front/rear split and uses a brake lock differential system. Quadra-Drive 2 also drives all 4 wheels all the time, but is a variable system that can send 100% of the power to a single rear wheel if needed.

Thanks Skippy722. I didn't realize it was full time 4x4. In that case, I'd be changing all the fluids every 30-50k miles.

Back