Fixed Neighbor’s Mower That Was Junked, Give Back??

This is about a 10 year old Cub Cadet, $2k+ or so new. It has a Kohler engine, 54" cut, 335 engine hours or so. I was over chainsawing and burning brush today. He had previously asked if I would get his old mower out of the shed. They have a new, $5000+ zero-turn Cub Cadet now.

This old mower had an issue last Summer, very slow, hydrostatic tranny. I had previously gave it the once over, checked fluid, no change. He asked if I'd look at it, then put it by the road for ‘free'. If it was a simple fix, he may use it to cut rough areas out back.

Anyway, I download some manuals, take the deck off, & start looking. I hone in on the pedal adjustment rod, which connects to the tranny. As I'm checking, got it started after hours on the charger, I see most of the rear axel is loose. It pivots & shifts as you try to go. I see 4 critical bolts are missing and/or nuts gone. This ‘twist' is part of the problem, I adjusted out the rest.

I got enough hardware in my odds & ends jars to fasten the axel. This mower needs a bit of everything, oil, plugs, blade attention, battery, fuel filter, grease, & the rest. I realize I don't need to spend the $50+ on tuneup parts & oil, maybe more.

I had previously fixed the other neighbor's mower(Toro) when she had it out for free. I gave that back, very simple fix.

I'm a little less onboard with this repair then returning, though I'll likely do it. I have an older relative who could use a reliable mower. I think when I get done it will cut like new. It does smoke just a touch on start-up.

On the score card I'm well ahead in the helpful department, no deficit there. Is this an odd question? Mower rescued, about to go to the curb for free? Is there a line somewhere? Just rambling, no biggie.

Hmmmmmm. First, great job finding the simple repair that caused them to go out and buy a new mower.

This makes me think back to the recent thread about trading in a used car (to dealer) and divulging, or not, ALL of the problems. Most thought that is was ethical to not tell everything to a dealer, but a private sale was obligatory to reveal all.

This leads to: do you tell them how simple the repair was and offer it back......or, do you tell them you spent a "while" working on it, determined how to fix it, and.....you would like to make a bunch of other repairs/maintenance and donate it to a needy friend.

That second way kind of pads the story (white lie??) and makes them more willing to let it go, since they already relegated it to the trash heap and bought a new one.

Please follow up with your decision and outcome. A few situations similar to this and I offered it back, they always said to just keep it

I don't think I embellished much. I towed it over, charged it, then spent 1+ hour with the deck off. Besides my fix it needs attention to get up to speed anyway. I think I'll try to limit my $$ on parts, improve what I can, talk about options, then offer it back.

I don't expect $$ offered for parts, either.

05D75384-C05D-46A6-BC78-C5C0C08CB1F3.jpeg

A few years ago a friend gave me a really nice ten year old ("made" by Deere) Scotts mower that he took great care of since new. It had a blown headgasket that I repaired for next to nothing. I sold the mower (very quickly) for $900 via Craigslist.

My friend told me from the beginning that he wanted to get rid of it and just wanted it gone. He even delivered it. He really wanted it out of his garage - ha! When I sold it, I gave he and his wife a $100 gift card to a local restaurant. They appreciated it - probably more than the $100 value. Maybe an idea for you?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
What are your neighbors going to do with two large mowers? Don't underestimate your skills. You fixed it in an hour but you have the training and expertise to do that. Your neighbors put it out for free hoping someone would take it and fix it and get some use out of it. If they just dropped $5k on a new mower, I'll assume they're not hurting for money. If you don't need it, give it to your relative. Your neighbors don't want two large mowers.

If it was dropped at the curb as "free" then it's fair game. If you picked it up from a strangers house and fixed it, would you give it back?

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
If it was dropped at the curb as "free" then it's fair game. If you picked it up from a strangers house and fixed it, would you give it back?

Yep.... It's rightfully yours.

Depends on the relationship you have with your neighbor. I'd offer it back, but ours wouldn't take it.

On the other side, you give it back, it'll likely get beat on until you get it back again. They obviously aren't in need of a mower since they bought a new one. It'd be different if they didn't have a mower now.

Somewhat reminds me of a sweater I took from my brother years ago. He never wore it so I took it. Mom made me give it back after a few months then he got grease all up the side and gave it back to me. I thanked my mom and got a good smack. It's now my wrenching/ oil change sweater.

Last edited:
Tell him it needs quite a bit of work and some money to bring it to 100% and you have a relative that needs it. Do you mind if I put the time in to it and give it to him?

I get this a lot. I fix mowers as a side business, and my family and friends know this. They will offer me mowers and equipment they just want gone, even if it is a simple fix. Most of the time they just don't want to deal with it anymore, and like your neighbor, have already bought a new one. They offer it to me knowing I'll do something with it and see it as a better option than just throwing it away. I'll usually fix them up and offer them to someone I know, or sell them. I've never had them question it or want it back, usually if something is offered to you, it is because they no longer want to mess with it and have moved on.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Tell him it needs quite a bit of work and some money to bring it to 100% and you have a relative that needs it. Do you mind if I put the time in to it and give it to him?

+1

I talked to neighbor today, he said keep it. The blades are about shot, big nicks, somewhat smoothed out. During the oil change the ‘quick-drain' was somewhat problematic, I added a pipe & cap, simple drain next time. I put two iridium plugs in, secured the missing deck bolts.

If I do end up with it, towards a relative, I'll reciprocate plenty.

New blades & fuel filter on today, drifting towards the relative in need. The neighbor has some trees he'd like cut, I'll reciprocate plenty.

The Kohler engine does smoke a little, more so on start. It only has about 350 hours, marginal care. I just changed the oil, I'll double check the level.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
New blades & fuel filter on today, drifting towards the relative in need. The neighbor has some trees he'd like cut, I'll reciprocate plenty.

The Kohler engine does smoke a little, more so on start. It only has about 350 hours, marginal care. I just changed the oil, I'll double check the level.

Smoking on start-up is common for a lot of OHV Kohlers. Usually it's valve seals. The 25hp V-Twin Command on my Deere has done it for a few years now and has over 800 hours on it, no measurable oil loss between changes. Same with the 22hp V-Twin Command on my grandfather's Scag.

I did about an hour test this eve mowing my yard. Those new blades sure give a clean cut. The little smoke on startup seemed to be gone once warmed up. I put some ‘high grade' bolts in where needed. Until I find a home I'll keep testing it out.

Charge the neighbor for at least out of pocket expenses if you plan to give it back - that would be a win-win .

You are more generous with your time and resources than most people I know.
If your neighbor wrote off the mower, and gave it to you, you are under no obligation to fix it
on your own time and expense.

From their point of view, it was a problem and you helped them out by taking it off their hands.
The story from their point of view ended there.

If they wanted to preserve their ownership and interest, they would have made that clear
and would have offered you money to take a look, and give an estimate what it would
cost to fix it up.

If they decided they wanted it back now, the fair thing to do would be to pay you for your time and
pay you for the parts. But you are under no obligation to agree to such deal.

Their interest and ownership in the tractor ended when they gave it to you.
It was not conditional, it is yours now. You do not need to justify or explain yourself.

I help out some of my friends with minor car repairs. Some of them expect me to do the work,
and pay for the parts also. I have to explain to them up front that the parts do not "come with the deal".
I do not mind donating my time, but hate to pay for parts. Makes me feel taken advantage of.

So you are a better man than I am. :)

Back