Vehicle sighting - 1967 Chevy Nova

Spotted a couple of fine old Chevys this morning. Here's the first, a '67 Nova:

20200624_111858 - Copy.jpg

20200624_111920.jpg

20200624_111930 - Copy.jpg

20200624_111941.jpg

20200624_111946.jpg

20200624_111954.jpg

I had a '66 painted GM fleet white, light blue interior with Cragar S/S wheels. Of all my toys I've had, that one I miss the most.

A friend of mine had a 68 Camaro with the 327 with a 650 CF/min 4 barrel carburetor and a 4 speed manual trany and that engine screamed and also got very good MPG's. When the frame went on it he got another 68 Camaro with a bad engine and we swapped engine and trany to the next one. When that one wore out he sold it and the person who bough it only wanted the engine for another vehicle.

The 327 was a great engine.

Yep … worked at a machine shop in my high school years … 2 guys there jammed a 327/350 in one …
frame would twist badly … they never had good results … scary car …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep … worked at a machine shop in my high school years … 2 guys there jammed a 327/350 in one …

Was the next body style better in that regards? I rode in one with a factory 427 4 speed. Fast car, but terrible brakes. The owner later upgraded it with aluminum heads and a 6 speed trans. The mechanic that worked on it helped me with my 87 Cutlass a few times when I was in high school.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The previous gen of Chevy 2/Nova ('62 - '65) offered 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engines. I think the 4 was a 153, I know at least one 6 was the 194 (I owned an old beat up one way back when) - don't know if there were any other 6-bangers. For 8-bangers, at least a 283 was available. Don't know if the 327 was also offered in that gen.

[Linked Image]
Years ago I had one, small block, ran low 11's naturally aspirated. Nitrous would have probably put it in the low 10's high 9's. Not a big deal now a days. Sure had a lot of fun with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by odotb
[Linked Image]
Years ago I had one, small block, ran low 11's naturally aspirated. Nitrous would have probably put it in the low 10's high 9's. Not a big deal now a days. Sure had a lot of fun with it.

Not big deal for some, but enough to give many others white knuckles.

Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Originally Posted by odotb
[Linked Image]

Not big deal for some, but enough to give many others white knuckles.

Still an accomplishment now, but a big one back in the day.

When I was 16 I had a '66 with the 194 and a Powerglide. It was a check the gas and fill the oil car.

I believe it was offered with the 230cu in I6 as well. I believe, once the Nova SS came out, the 327 producing about 350hp was offered in the car.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by 4WD
The previous gen of Chevy 2/Nova ('62 - '65) offered 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engines. I think the 4 was a 153, I know at least one 6 was the 194 (I owned an old beat up one way back when) - don't know if there were any other 6-bangers. For 8-bangers, at least a 283 was available. Don't know if the 327 was also offered in that gen.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by 4WD

Was the next body style better in that regards? I rode in one with a factory 427 4 speed. Fast car, but terrible brakes. The owner later upgraded it with aluminum heads and a 6 speed trans. The mechanic that worked on it helped me with my 87 Cutlass a few times when I was in high school.

The 2nd gen Nova (X-Body) was based on the 1st gen F-Body, It needed subframe connectors just like the F-body did. But was leaps & bounds better in terms of rigidity than the 1st gen Chevy II.

Originally Posted by javacontour
When I was 16 I had a '66 with the 194 and a Powerglide. It was a check the gas and fill the oil car.

I believe it was offered with the 230cu in I6 as well. I believe, once the Nova SS came out, the 327 producing about 350hp was offered in the car.

Super Sport is a Trim/Appearance Package, Plenty of 6 cylinder SS Nova's were produced. IIRC.....'63 was the first year that the SS option was available on the Chevy II, A full year before the V8 engine option.

Love the novas! Only Chevy I might purchase down the road after I sell my supercharged foxbody Mustang.

19.gif

66 was the only year for the Nova 327-350 horse. They were really quick, Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins did all right with one. In 67 you could get a 327 rated at 275 horse, thanks to a 10 lb per horsepower GM mandate. That 275 horse was the same as the 300 horse, just a different label on the air cleaner. To this day, I don't understand why GM doesn't replace the 5.3 with a 5.7 with 400 horse, they could sell a bunch. I know that a 6.2 is available, but you have to check nearly all the option boxes to get one.

Good to know. I try not to look back because I'm afraid I'd go buy one to relive my misspent youth
smile.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by javacontour

Super Sport is a Trim/Appearance Package, Plenty of 6 cylinder SS Nova's were produced. IIRC.....'63 was the first year that the SS option was available on the Chevy II, A full year before the V8 engine option.

Back