1. Ravenol VMP 5W-30
2. Motul 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30
3. Red Line High-Performance 5W-30

The next level of shear-stable oils are:
4. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30
5. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
6. Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5W-30

Originally Posted by userfriendly
The original Gene K was a jazz drummer in the 40s.

You don't believe in reincarnation?

I think some of these guys missed the mainstream SN+.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
The one still in the original oil can.

01.gif

Red Line offers incredible shear resistance. I've seen hundreds of Red Line UOA's over the years and it stays in grade better than any other oil I've seen.

Amsoil is pretty solid too.

I'm not as impressed with Mobil 1's shear stability. Could be better. However, the ESP oils are extremely shear stable.

Pennzoil Platinum lineup sure isn't anti-shear capable, when reading many UOAs. Now Gokhan states the SP GF6 Platinum has increased VIIs noticeably more, to meet MPG mandates.

All this fight against lspi, turbos, direct inject, timing chain wears, engine cleaning....etc...etc... is going to show a negative-side with engine wear.

I look for the oil producers to constantly tweak this SP / GF6 formulas for the next few years. I'm not sure the brand spanking new formulas arriving this year, will look the same in a couple more years.

Originally Posted by buster
Red Line offers incredible shear resistance. I've seen hundreds of Red Line UOA's over the years and it stays in grade better than any other oil I've seen.

I'm not as impressed with Mobil 1's shear stability. Could be better. However, the ESP oils are extremely shear stable.

ESP is my favorite oil currently. Pennzoil IMO dropped the ball with PU, and I made the switch back to XOM.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by buster

ESP is my favorite oil currently. Pennzoil IMO dropped the ball with PU, and I made the switch back to XOM.

ESP line is fantastic. Their 5w30 is rock solid. Great choice for Subaru WRX owners.

Is it time to start looking at 10W-30 maybe? My Jeep Cherokee 2L turbo requires synthetic 5W-30 but I'm seriously considering 10W-30, it would work just fine in the climate where I live.

How about Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W-30? If I remember correctly, from one of Gokhan's tables that he posted, that oil was the cheapest, most commonly-available 5W-30 that has the least viscosity modifiers and very low Noack. Also on the thicker side for a 5W-30.

Should be pretty shear-stable.

Also, there was an Amsoil 10W-30 that contains almost zero VM...

Back